5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Langka and paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 10:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Langka and paint chips

Tried Langka for some of the 40+ paint chips on my hood and bumper.

The good news? It's by far the best way I've found or heard of for touch-up paint.

The bad news? The end result still doesn't usually look like original paint (which is probably unrealistic anyway).

Details:

Tried Langka with the KT3 Nissan touch up paint. It's a MUCH easier and faster solution than using sandpaper, and is overall pretty painless. Of the 30 or so chips I did, about 20% are almost invisible now (typically the small ones), about 50% can only be seen within 5 feet or so, and the rest look better but are still visible. Basically these look like someone did a really good job with touch-up paint, but it's still touch-up paint. Guess I'll still install that clear bra I bought...

Anyway, if you try it here are some hints:

Do NOT use it on the door guard trim strips - it apparently chews up that paint very quickly, and I had to use Scratch-X several times to finally get rid of the black smear it left on the strip. No problem on the rest of the panels, or the bumpers.

Use a piece of fabric from a sheet or dress shirt, like they recommend. A t-shirt is too rough, and ends up digging the paint out of the chip.

Don't rub firmly like recommended - rub lightly. It still goes pretty fast. And use your finger in the cloth - have no idea how someone can successfully use that card...

Make sure that the touch-up paint is higher (think -0-) than the rest of the paint surface. I found that for decent sized chips, one coat was not enough because the paint shrank when it got dry, so you still end up with a divot.

I used Scratch-X to get off the black smudges it left from where I rubbed. You might be able to wash it off, but since my car was already clean...

Have beer available - this helped my patience quite a lot...
Old 05-04-2003, 09:46 AM

Yep, I agree completely. I've been using Langka when touching up stone chips in my black 2k2. It is not perfect but good enough for me. It probably helps that mine is black (paint is easier to match). My only complaint is that Langka seems to "remove" the shine from the touch-up paint, so it looks matte after the application.
And you can get Langka under the Mothers brand name for a fraction of the Langka price.