5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Minor issues with my new Max2k3...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 11:21 PM
tEh Hope

Minor issues with my new Max2k3...

Hello all. This is my first post on this board and let me say that I feel lucky to have found this forum. I've read a few posts and I like the "climate" on this forum... friendly and knowledgeable people all around.

Anyway, I recently purchased a new Max 2003 SE auto (majestic blue) for $2500 under invoice... Was that a good deal? It had 40 miles at the time of purchase... I've been driving an old Infiniti G20 and bought this to treat myself as I am about to graduate from college. I qualified for 1.9% financing, which was an excellent oppurtunity for me to jump on this kick *** ride. Except for the the high insurance costs, I feel very lucky to own a Max. I think it has the best bang for the buck.

Few Questions (I apologize if they have already been answered or discussed in the past):

1) I have been doing light driving on my max for about 3 weeks now and noticed that it's "lagging" power... I really have to press hard (sometimes) on the accelerator to accelerate normally. Is this a common acceptable thing on Max? I expected a lot more power on this 255/3.5 configuration...

2) Second issue that I have is, when accelerating between 10mph and 35mph, engine makes some noticable noise (Grrrrr.. noise). I expected the transmission to be smooth and quiet... do you know if it's my driving or do you think there is a problem with the engine or transmission? Or does it have to do anything with the fuel grade I use? I use 91 octane.

3) What experience or suggestion do you have about using synthetic oil? I've heard a lot of people say that synthetic oil makes the engine run smoooth. is that true with Max too?

4) I was able to negotiate extended warranty with the dealer itself. I was offered their "total care plus" package that extends the warranty to 72mo/75K miles. It also takes care of all scheduled maintanance for the first 3 years. All for $1400, what do you think?

5) What tire pressure is appropriate for my tires? The tire says 44psi max... I live in Buffalo NY, temperatures drop to the extremes sometimes. How do I know what tire pressure I should maintain during winter and summer...?

6) If I replace the factory installed cd/radio/am/fm player with a CD player w/mp3 and sirius, can I still use the volume and radio controls on my steering with the new player?

Excuse me if my questions sound stupid or idiotic, this is my first NEW car ever, so there are a lot of things that I don't know about cars... I am hoping to learn more from this forum.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

REMINDER:

Maximas have many quirks... I owned two myself (see SIG).. my 2k2 was riddled with very minor annoyances.. my 2k3 is much better...

BTW if you want to use your steering wheel controls, then buy the SWI-X interface.

ED
Old 05-03-2003, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by MiniRX7
REMINDER:

Maximas have many quirks... I owned two myself (see SIG).. my 2k2 was riddled with very minor annoyances.. my 2k3 is much better...

BTW if you want to use your steering wheel controls, then buy the SWI-X interface.

ED
SWI-X interface? i'd like to learn more about it since i'm about to put in a new head unit along with an all new system. this interface sounds great if it'll let me use my steering vol controls. does it matter on the head unit?
Old 05-03-2003, 11:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

As long as it is not a sony..,

www.crutchfield.com

www.pac.com I think...

I haven't put mine in yet, but i am running the Kenwood MP919 MP3/CD in my 2k3 right now..

ED
Old 05-04-2003, 09:34 AM

Re: Minor issues with my new Max2k3...

First, welcome!

1) You may want to check which your dealer if the "Lack of Acceleration" Tech Service Bulletin applies to your car. Take a hardcopy of the bulletin (check the TBS section in this forum) with you.

2) Don't know. Don't have anything like that in mine, but you are in warranty. Take it to the dealer.

3) Using Mobil 1 and the engine just runs as smooth as always, but I have only 11k miles in mine. Synthetics is more about providing better protection for your engine internals.

4) Don't know. I prefer doing maintenance items myself.

5) It is not what's printed in the tire's sidewall but what the manufacturer's recommended inflation what you should go for. For the OEM tire size, Nissan recommends 32 cold PSI all around. I keep mine between 30-31 cold PSI since it seems to improve the ride.

6) What RX7 said.

Enjoy your Max and stay around to make it better...
Old 05-04-2003, 12:56 PM

Re: Minor issues with my new Max2k3...

[i]1) I have been doing light driving on my max for about 3 weeks now and noticed that it's "lagging" power... I really have to press hard (sometimes) on the accelerator to accelerate normally. Is this a common acceptable thing on Max? I expected a lot more power on this 255/3.5 configuration...[/B]

I dont think you have to worry...i just bought a 2k3 4 months ago and it did the same thing at first...but as it breaks in it gets ALOT better with acceleration. But if it persist after about 2000 miles or so get it checked out.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:59 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Take it to your dealer and explain clearly whats going on. Tell them to take their time repairing it...

By the way...welcome to the 5th gen Majestic Blue club and the org!

Dave