5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

crank case filter vent

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 PM

crank case filter vent

I have seen a lot of these on peoples cars, I know what it is, but is it worth having one there only 17 bucks, if so what size should I get and where sould i get it from? thanks
Old 05-04-2003, 09:57 PM
VTEC This!

cant hurt, prob detures a little warm air..
Old 05-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Pep Boys 9.99. It's a psychological mod, but well worth it.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There are two sides to this..

FIRST.. benefits include a cleaner intake manifold as the blowby air from the crankcase is not recirculated back into the intake manifold (which is done for emissions purposes).... Looks cool too LOL..

BUT

The side effects are that you are allowing unmetered air in to the system. Because the computer accounts for this recirculation back into the intake, by bypassing it with a minifilter, the computer is not adjusting for this difference. Results could include improper idle, SES light, and improper fuel air mixture.. Mind you i know a lot of guys use it without problems, but i do know of some that used it with nothing but problems..

CASES-
IN most all hondas, this crankcase filter is definitely okay to use because they use a speed density system where the ECU refers to a MAP table to calculate fuel/air mixtures... In maximas and even in my old protege, where we have some form of air meter (aka mass airflow sensor), the computer constantly monitors the air flow accurately to compensate for proper fuel..

ED
Old 05-05-2003, 04:37 AM

I got to get on sometime soon. Any body got one they want to sell.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MiniRX7

FIRST.. benefits include a cleaner intake manifold as the blowby air from the crankcase is not recirculated back into the intake manifold (which is done for emissions purposes).... Looks cool too LOL..

BUT

The side effects are that you are allowing unmetered air in to the system. Because the computer accounts for this recirculation back into the intake, by bypassing it with a minifilter, the computer is not adjusting for this difference. Results could include improper idle, SES light, and improper fuel air mixture.. Mind you i know a lot of guys use it without problems, but i do know of some that used it with nothing but problems..

CASES-
IN most all hondas, this crankcase filter is definitely okay to use because they use a speed density system where the ECU refers to a MAP table to calculate fuel/air mixtures... In maximas and even in my old protege, where we have some form of air meter (aka mass airflow sensor), the computer constantly monitors the air flow accurately to compensate for proper fuel..

ED
You are right on the money! I had one one my car just recently. Key word "had". It took about a week till the the car threw a code. It was for a misfire. I reset it and it came right back. I took off the breather filter and reconnected it to the intake about 2 weeks ago. No new codes, every thing is fine.

Unmetered air in this car is a no no. If you want to try anyway make sure you have a way to clear the code. Because sooner or later you'll have to.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by MiniRX7

BUT

CASES-

ED

If I remember correctly the the hose from the crankcase connects after the MAFS, into the baffle. It looks like the MAFS wouldn't take into account this air anyway in the stock configuration.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:15 AM

You are correct about the stock setup not taking into account air from the crankcase tube the way it is set up. I disagree that this will result in a SES light any sooner or later than a setup using any aftermarket intake. Although I now use the GAB, I had the Frankencar straight midipe w/ the crankcase filter @ one time and it worked fine for me.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE

If I remember correctly the the hose from the crankcase connects after the MAFS into that baffle. It looks like the MAFS wouldn't take into account this air anyway in the stock configuration.
Yes the hose connects AFTER the MAF. Hence the air that travels through it into the crankcase is metered already. If you disconnect the hose from the intake your allowing unmetered air into the system that the ECU can't compensate for. And this will lead to misfireing or a lean condition. Either of which are not good.

The ECU must have a multiplier it uses for the MAF reading, like 95-97%, and when you disconnect the hose 100% of the air goes through the TB.