5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just cleaned the TB on my 2K beauty! A How To

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just cleaned the TB on my 2K beauty! A How To

Well, Just cleaned the Throttle Body on my car. I followed some of the instructions from http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/518. Figure I'd give a brief write up on what to do on the 2k max, probably the same on a 2k1.

Removing the Airbox:
Well First I had to remove the airbox. This thing is huge. First I loosened the hose clamp at the TB (throttle body) area of the hose connecting the Airbox to the TB. Then there are 3 hoses that have to be taken off that are toward the middle of the engine from the airbox. Now with these off. There are some bolts to take off. First there is a bracket behind the airbox. I took off all four bolts. Made life a lot easier. I had just taken the bracket off but, it was easier taken them all off. There is also a screw inbetween the airbox and the battery that is deep. Dont forget that one. Now, the wiring goign to the MAF. To loosen the connector. Just press down on the green button on the grey clip. It's obvious when u see it. Then taking the wiring off the bracket is a sinch. But the part of the MAF wire that's connected to the airbox. Just easily put a flathead screwdriver under it and it will pop out. Just like the buttons in the rear deck if anyone has taken that out. now that the wire is free u can slowly take off the stretch hose connected to the TB and slowly pull out the Airbox. Walla!. Access to your Throttle Body.

Cleaning the Throttle Body:
I bought Valvevaline SynPower Carb Choke and Throttle Body cleaner at the local automotive shop. I got a clean White Terry Cloth and sprayed the cleaner on it, and proceded to clean inside the TB. It had a nice black coating on it. So I cleaned as much as I could before opening up the butterfly. I then had my father floor the gas which in turned opened up the butterfly in the TB. I sprayed more onto the white cloth and cleaned the edges and focused on the area of the butterfly edges and where it contacts when closed. I didnt spray any into the TB just yet. It took awhile to clean this so u'll be there for awhile. I got a huge terry cloth completely black. I then had my dad let go of the gas peddle and had him start the car. Mind u the Airbox is off and the MAF is disconnected. Turned on the car and had him rev to around 2500 rpms. Sprayed a good amount into the throttle body and around the hindge area while the car was running. This bogged the car down. And one time the car quit. It did start right back up. Did that for about a min and a half. turned the car off and had dad open the throttle. Lookes brand new.

Post Operative:
Put everything back in, in the revese order of taking it out, obviously. Started the car. She ran rough for a second and then smoothed out. The ses light was thrown of course cause I had the MAF disconnected. I disconnected the negative lead for about an hour and presto, the light is gone.

Right now the idle seems to be a lot smoother, but boy did it need it. Right now I dont have my link to connect my camera to my computer. But I will have pics up by the end of the week for ya and maybe a better perspective of the outcome after I drive it some.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:15 PM

Sounds good bro.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:08 AM

Any other brand of throttle cleaner outhere recommended by the forum?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 10:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I use STP throttle body cleaner.