5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Possible HID Theft Deterrent??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 04:20 PM

Possible HID Theft Deterrent??

While stumbling thru the forums at sounddomain trying to educate myself about car audio I found this tip on how to prevent (or how to make more difficult) stereo theft when my fellow max owners came to mind. I copied this parargraph directly from the site.

posted 04-13-2003 06:20 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is regarding alarm systems and how to best protect your equipment from being stolen.

Here are some common features that are included with most decent quality alarm units:
115dB Siren
Impact Sensor
Keyless Entry
Starter Kill
Horn Honk
Parking Light Flash
Headlight Flash (Low and Hi)
Hood and Trunk Pins0
Door Pins

Although those features will stop most timid thieves out there, they probably aren't going to stop veteran thieves, crack heads, and thieves with a lot of guts. So here are some ideas on how to go one step further in preventing these people from stealing our hard-earned belongings. Pay close attention to paragraph 2.

1) This is the major problem: A thief can simply bust out your driver's side window, reach in without opening the door, pop your hood, cut the battery cable, and now the car alarm is totally disabled. For a skilled thief this process would literally take about 15 seconds.

There are two things I would recommend you do to prevent a thief from disabling your alarm in this manner. The most recommended method is for you to invent in a steel cable hood lock. The cable runs from under the dash of your car, through the firewall, and mounts itself underneath the hood. It is locked and unlocked using a key from the inside of the vehicle. Without this key, the hood cannot be popped open.

This will prevent easy access to your battery. At this point the thief can either run away, try to grab and dash, or try to access the battery by crawling under the car. Although I highly doubt a thief would go through the trouble of crawling under your car to cut the battery cable, it has happened before. Mount your multi-tone siren next to the battery pointed downward. Mount a peizo siren next to it, also pointing downward. We want to make it very uncomfortable for our thief to stick his head under the car with those sirens blazing right in his ear.

If the hood is prevented from being opened to protect the battery, would this not also prevent tampering with the HIDs from the inside? I hope someone can work with this and save their HIDS, especially you New York and Jersey guys. Bare in mind this is just friendly noobish advice. If it doesnt or wont work, please dont shoot the messenger.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:32 PM

Man I wish I knew about this before I got jacked.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:19 AM

wow, I figured plenty of people would have an opinion on this. Is this not doable, or would it just be pointless?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:27 AM

Well, a lot of thieves don't even open the hood, it seems. Some just slim jim them out, they don't need the hood to be open.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Possible HID Theft Deterrent??

how much would it cost to install this system?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:54 AM

I was under the impression that the lights needed to be removed from the inside so as not to damage the lights housing. I guess not. Still this seems like a better alternative than the crappy ant-theft kit Nissan sells.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:05 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by CrownofThorns
I was under the impression that the lights needed to be removed from the inside so as not to damage the lights housing. I guess not. Still this seems like a better alternative than the crappy ant-theft kit Nissan sells.
Thieves don't care about the housings. The money is in the HID bulbs and ballasts.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:13 AM

The theft kit from nissan now according to my dealership is basically a modified hood lock. And they told me that the thieves are just smashing through the grill instead of opening the hood which would cause more damage