5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Trip Button Does Not Work Without Dealer Radio In 02 Maxima ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Trip Button Does Not Work Without Dealer Radio In 02 Maxima ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I bought an 02 Maxima SE with an aftermarket Eclipse Dealer radio in it. Now the TRIP button on the steering wheel will not work. I found from the dealer who was also nice enough to provide me with the wiring diagram, that the TRIP BUTTON is GROUNDED through the dealer radio and the connects to the UNFIED METER CONTROL UNIT (WITH ODO/TRIP METER). Without the dealer radio, I don't how to connect to the unit. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Please help ! I would love enjoy the TRIP SCROLLING feature. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:41 PM

there is some sort of adapter or wire you need to buy in order to get it to work. id complain to the dealer and have them put it in for you.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Let me make sure I'm understanding this. The wire necessary for grounding the trip computer IS connected to the head unit. If so track it back and see where it is spliced/broken. It is the brown wire with white stripe. It is on a white wiring harness with only 4 wires on it total.

Otherwise just ground that brown and white wire somewhere on the chassis of the radio. Mine works just fine.

(I think one of the other wires is blue and yellow and another one is red).

Let me know if that solves it.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by slickrick
there is some sort of adapter or wire you need to buy in order to get it to work. id complain to the dealer and have them put it in for you.
You don't need the adapter for the trip computer to work. Just ground that brown and white wire.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by elchino

You don't need the adapter for the trip computer to work. Just ground that brown and white wire.
does it work all the functions on the steering wheel?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So let me get this straight. If I pull out the Eclipse aftermarket radio from the dash and locate the brown and white wire from the white wire harness, and ground it to the chassis of the radio, my TRIP button will work ? What's on the end of the brown and white wire ? I have never done this type of thing before ? What tools would I need ?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:46 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by prince02
So let me get this straight. If I pull out the Eclipse aftermarket radio from the dash and locate the brown and white wire from the white wire harness, and ground it to the chassis of the radio, my TRIP button will work ? What's on the end of the brown and white wire ? I have never done this type of thing before ? What tools would I need ?
there are you 2 brown with white strip wires. one is for one of the speakers, so you dont' wanna cut that...the other is the one you want. most likely, the one you want is running into the harness that's not connected to anything. another way is that it's the thinner of the 2 wires. now take that wire and simply ground, NOTHING MORE. and your trip button will work again. i have an eclipse unit and i just did this saturday nite and it worked like a charm. dont' worry, it's all good.

tog roun, simply cut the wire before it goes into the harness, then just attach it to any metal part of your car. unscrew a bolt, wrap the wire around that, and screw it back in. THAT'S all. enjoy.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by PoLo

there are you 2 brown with white strip wires. one is for one of the speakers, so you dont' wanna cut that...the other is the one you want. most likely, the one you want is running into the harness that's not connected to anything. another way is that it's the thinner of the 2 wires. now take that wire and simply ground, NOTHING MORE. and your trip button will work again. i have an eclipse unit and i just did this saturday nite and it worked like a charm. dont' worry, it's all good.

tog roun, simply cut the wire before it goes into the harness, then just attach it to any metal part of your car. unscrew a bolt, wrap the wire around that, and screw it back in. THAT'S all. enjoy.
dude what happened to your car?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:49 PM
2-Wheelin it...

does it work all the functions on the steering wheel?
well to get the volume up, down, and mode buttons to work, you need to have a headuni that works off a remote. then order the PAC unit. it's an infrared module, that acts kinda like a universal remote. for your steering wheel controls, the module lites up. you program the remote with the PAC module and then your steering controls will work as if it were a remote.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:53 PM
2-Wheelin it...

dude what happened to your car?
not as bad as it looks. i went away on vacation for 3 weeks and a friend of mine started the system. so he pulled all the seats out, ran the head unit and the speakers and all the wires, and then stopped. all the seats are in my garage. i'm not mad cause hey, i would've had to come home to do an audio system anyway, so he simply started it for me. the front end. well i had a remote start fender bender a while back, so again, while i was gone, my friend took off the bumper and sent it to get painted. i get it back on saturday along with my rear bumper (with stillen valence attached) and stillen side skirts. the only real damage in that picture is i had my HIDs swiped. bought new ones but i wasn't gonna leave them on while i was gone, so i took them off and they're chillin next to me right now.

you see, not so bad. but right now, i cna't drive my car for at least another 2 weeks.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:54 PM

not as bad as it looks. i went away on vacation for 3 weeks and a friend of mine started the system. so he pulled all the seats out, ran the head unit and the speakers and all the wires, and then stopped. all the seats are in my garage. i'm not mad cause hey, i would've had to come home to do an audio system anyway, so he simply started it for me. the front end. well i had a remote start fender bender a while back, so again, while i was gone, my friend took off the bumper and sent it to get painted. i get it back on saturday along with my rear bumper (with stillen valence attached) and stillen side skirts. the only real damage in that picture is i had my HIDs swiped. bought new ones but i wasn't gonna leave them on while i was gone, so i took them off and they're chillin next to me right now.

you see, not so bad. but right now, i cna't drive my car for at least another 2 weeks.
makes sense. i didnt think someone would steal the front end along with the hids.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:04 PM

well to get the volume up, down, and mode buttons to work, you need to have a headuni that works off a remote. then order the PAC unit. it's an infrared module, that acts kinda like a universal remote. for your steering wheel controls, the module lites up. you program the remote with the PAC module and then your steering controls will work as if it were a remote.
Good info! Found one on Crutchfield site - PAC SWI-X for 70 bones. I'm guessing they could be had elsewhere for less.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I really do appreciate all the help you guys have given me. The faceplate around my Eclipse radio, is that hard to come off ?
Old 05-07-2003, 09:36 PM

Shouldn't be too tough. There is a how to in the Audio and Electronics forum. Basically you have to take a screw out of the ashtray portion. Then start popping the piece that goes around the shifter up. Then you pop out the top vents by using a screwdriver with a towel wrapped around it so you don't mess anything up. That will expose all the screws. Unscrew the 4 screws and then pull forward. Should have access to everything you need.