5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anyone taken a look at Lancer evo

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 10:03 PM

Has anyone taken a look at Lancer evo

Hey all, I don't know if anybody beat me to it, but has anyine taken a look at the mitsubishi site lately (http://www.mitsubishicars.com/lancer...ion/index.html) specifically the lancer evo (it has a wicked profile!)? seems like these compact cars are making a run into the 200+ hp/torque range by turbocharging their cars (dodge neon too)...

Looks like maxima owners are gonna see more and more ricers packing OEM at the red lights...

We need to start turbocharging our's...the sleeper hit of the streets!
Old 05-07-2003, 10:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

13.08@105 aint bad with a warranty and under 30K
Old 05-07-2003, 10:49 PM

Re: Has anyone taken a look at Lancer evo

I'm telling you guys, we're about to be thumped a notch down the food chain. The STi will have 300 horsepower and the sky will be the limit on that motor. Same for the EVO motor. By the end of the year we're not going to be the fastest Japanese 4-door anymore.

Jesse
Old 05-08-2003, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by NizanDrivn
Hey all, I don't know if anybody beat me to it, but has anyine taken a look at the mitsubishi site lately (http://www.mitsubishicars.com/lancer...ion/index.html) specifically the lancer evo (it has a wicked profile!)? seems like these compact cars are making a run into the 200+ hp/torque range by turbocharging their cars (dodge neon too)...

Looks like maxima owners are gonna see more and more ricers packing OEM at the red lights...

Definitely looks like a hot car. I've seen a couple on the road already. But at 19 psi boost (in stock trim) - - how much further the car go???
Old 05-08-2003, 06:51 AM
jjs

There are a few threads here where this has been discussed...

https://maxima.org/forums/search.php...der=descending
Old 05-09-2003, 12:18 AM

My friend bought a black one. It looks like a stealth bomber. The suspension is increadable. It has the high pitch rev sound like in the rally races on SPEED CHANNEL. No, not the turbo spool. Just a high pitched hum. AHHH. I think I wet myself.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:33 AM

The EVOs here in NJ (i.e.: Bell Mitsubishi-Rahway) are being markedup about $7K!!!

I guess with most ricers living @ home with mommy, they can afford the payments on the $38K price of admission ($31K MSRP + $7K markup) .
Old 05-09-2003, 05:35 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: Has anyone taken a look at Lancer evo

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ
I'm telling you guys, we're about to be thumped a notch down the food chain. The STi will have 300 horsepower and the sky will be the limit on that motor. Same for the EVO motor. By the end of the year we're not going to be the fastest Japanese 4-door anymore.

Jesse
we'll still be the fastest 4 door family type mid-sized sports car under $30k!

Old 05-09-2003, 05:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Has anyone taken a look at Lancer evo

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

we'll still be the fastest 4 door family type mid-sized sports car under $30k!
Old 05-09-2003, 06:05 AM

I have an STi sitting in Portland being prepped. We hope to have it up to 600 HP. I'm then trading her in for an EVO 6 speed when it arrives in the fall. These cars are WAY underrated. I just dyno'd an EVO bone stock at 240 at the wheels. That's about 300 HP out of the box. With minor bolt ons they are running mid 12's with the stock turbo. By next year we will see 11's out of the car daily driven with very little work done. Sorry Maxima fans but as much as I like my Maxima, it's certainly not anywhere near the performance of either the STi or the EVO.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:09 AM

The EVO is lightweight and (if I'm not mistaken) two doors, correct? Gee, that's a big surprise that it will beat a heavier Max when it pushes more horses. Kinda like a Max picking on a heavier car like the 300M.

The Max rules! Wait until they put twin turbos on a 350Z and someone ports it over to a Max!
Old 05-09-2003, 06:41 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by 255HP_03_SE
The EVO is lightweight and (if I'm not mistaken) two doors, correct? Gee, that's a big surprise that it will beat a heavier Max when it pushes more horses. Kinda like a Max picking on a heavier car like the 300M.

The Max rules! Wait until they put twin turbos on a 350Z and someone ports it over to a Max!
Looks like 4 doors to me
Old 05-09-2003, 07:52 AM
wat

I like the EVO commercials but the car is just not doin it for me
Old 05-09-2003, 09:33 AM

Actually the EVO is almost 3300 lbs. I believe the 03 Maxima is 3400 lbs so it's about a whopping 100 lbs lighter. Remember that's an AWD car too.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:06 PM

The Max and Evo have about the same weight...Road and Track reports the car as having a 5.7 or so 0-60 time....Whoa!!!!....I'm sure the car has a lot of potential.

Nissan NEEDS to come up with a turbo of their own, preferrable on a VQ engine.... sorry crew...
Old 05-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Banned

The Evo is definitely a pure performance car, with little to no afterthought about any sort of luxury ammenities. As a result, do you guys really think that it's worth the $31K (or even more with the markups)? Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for the car. I think it's worth about $26-27K, but not 30+K.

As far as the Maxima not being the fastest 4 door anymore, who cares--it's still fast enough for me, comfortable for everyday driving, and able to impress friends as well.

By the way, with the Evo engine running 16-19psi boost STOCK, like someone else already mentioned, I don't think you can increase the boost anymore without running a serious risk of blowing the motor. So you're pretty much left with bolt-ons to increase power. Not to say that you won't gain something from them, but it will not be nearly as much as if the car was running lower boost and still had the same horsepower/torque (e.g. needs a bigger engine).
Old 05-10-2003, 01:48 PM

when it boils down to it it is still a Lancer

maxima has the best of both worlds, looks respectable and has a decent power band.

lancer is a rice rocket, a fast one, but still a rice rocket
Old 05-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.evolutionm.net/
Old 05-10-2003, 09:53 PM
scopium

man, they're superchargin them cause the cars got no ***** to run stock engine, if a supercharged maxima ran against any of those cars , it would blast them... i blasted the new neons and i only got and intake , exaust and hiflow cat converter

Old 05-11-2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by vito1281
By the way, with the Evo engine running 16-19psi boost STOCK, like someone else already mentioned, I don't think you can increase the boost anymore without running a serious risk of blowing the motor. So you're pretty much left with bolt-ons to increase power. Not to say that you won't gain something from them, but it will not be nearly as much as if the car was running lower boost and still had the same horsepower/torque (e.g. needs a bigger engine).
Obviously you don't know anything about a turbo car. Boost pressure means nothing. I use larger turbos and make a lot more power running less boost. BTW, the EVO will never hit 19 PSI unless you have 100% optimal conditions. ON the dyno it hit 18 PSI the first run but the ECU cut it back to 17.2 PSI. I made 240 whp at 17.2 PSI whereas the first run I only made 235 whp at 18.1 PSI. Why? At 18.2 PSI the ECU started cutting back the timing. With a larger turbo and proper tuning 400 whp should be easily achievable which is good for 11 second time slips in street trim. If you still think the car doesn't have potention than I don't know what to tell ya.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:18 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by scopium
man, they're superchargin them cause the cars got no ***** to run stock engine, if a supercharged maxima ran against any of those cars , it would blast them... i blasted the new neons and i only got and intake , exaust and hiflow cat converter
Obviously you've never run a Neon SRT4. It takes more than bolt ons for us 5th gens to beat them. (of course, this is assuming drivers are equal).
Old 05-11-2003, 08:53 PM

I looked at the EVO a couple of weeks ago at the Mitsubishi dealership. Looks fast, price\fun ratio ok but the EVO is definitely not a sleeper like the Max. I liked being able to haul butt and still be able to go to corporate events without lookin' like a ricer.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:58 PM
jjs

Doesn't anyone realize we are talking about two totally different classes of vehicles?

The Max is a (fairly) large (and I dont' care what anyone says...FAMILY sedan). The others are smaller (as they called them in the early 80's 'Pocket Rockets') even though overal weight might be in the same range for some.

I would much prefer to drive around in something that has some modicum of class and sophistication than a hopped up, and potentially 'ricer from the factory' performance car.

Hell, if we are talking PURE performance, why not take it to the extreme and comapre a Max against a race bike?

Don't get me wrong, YES I respect what they are capable of...they are just not cars I would consider owning and using as daily transportation.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:21 PM

The evo is still sizzilin'....granted you won't fit the family in it comfortably....But still....

I hope Nissan or Toyota conjure up their on turbo equipped cars...hope fully not a sentra or matrix (that'll be four version of the matrix)...

IMHO the only thing that is keeping the turbo Z/supra under wrapps is the price....So I'll just settle for a supercharged version of the Z or G35c...