5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dealer wont perform ECU Update for me - NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ECU Update

I went to the dealer today for the 11250 maintainence. So I asked if he could perform ECU update at the same time. He said that he won't do it for me unless my SES light comes on because that's how he knows if my car needs ECU update or not. <<< Is this true? AFAIK, I can get ECU update even if my car runs just fine. Please help.... Thanks.

~limsandy
Old 05-10-2003, 09:51 PM

Re: ECU Update

Originally posted by limsandy
I went to the dealer today for the 11250 maintainence. So I asked if he could perform ECU update at the same time. He said that he won't do it for me unless my SES light comes on because that's how he knows if my car needs ECU update or not. &lt;&lt;&lt; Is this true? AFAIK, I can get ECU update even if my car runs just fine. Please help.... Thanks.

~limsandy
Not true - the ECU update cures hesitation, and as far as I know the SES light wasn't turning in those cars that had the problem. Maybe print out the TSB for him to read? Or go to another dealer?
Old 05-10-2003, 10:05 PM

Get another dealer or take the TSB with you. Ask for a different person, some are ignorant, some are really good.

ARFF
Old 05-10-2003, 10:11 PM

limsandy: Which dealer was this? Since you live in my general area, I guess I shouldn't visit that dealer either to get the TSB work done.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:58 PM

Re: Re: ECU Update

Originally posted by cwerdna
limsandy: Which dealer was this? Since you live in my general area, I guess I shouldn't visit that dealer either to get the TSB work done.

Lynnwood dealer, Campbell Nelson.

~limsandy
Old 05-12-2003, 12:22 AM

you could just hook up a 9v battery to the light and put it on a switch. just turn it on when you get to the dealer. maybe even get lucky and find the same guy

theres a new Nissan dealer somewhere around here. It was a VW dealer that expanded to Nissan aswell. They had a bunch of commercials on a few weeks ago.

MrGone
Old 05-12-2003, 01:10 AM

I went to the dealer today for the 11250 maintainence. So I asked if he could perform ECU update at the same time. He said that he won't do it for me unless my SES light comes on because that's how he knows if my car needs ECU update or not. &lt;&lt;&lt; Is this true? AFAIK, I can get ECU update even if my car runs just fine. Please help.... Thanks.

~limsandy
WTF..how does the ECU know it needs an update? I dont think the damn thing has an internal calendar wiht the dates TSB's are released...wtf.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ECU Update

The dealer I usually go for oil change and Recalls/TSBs would not perform this TSB. He just brushed off the subject by saying if Consult II did't pick up any codes, it's probably no big deal. No proof was given that he ran the code though. Even though I had the print-out with me, he still thinks it's the internet blowing things out of proportion. I guess I won't be going back there anymore. There's another dealer closeby that I am going to try tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be happy to perform the TSB. Mine is also built on 07/01 so it should have the MAF replaced too.

Originally posted by tomcat

Wow. I bought my car from this dealership when it was called Northwest Nissan and always have it serviced there. There has never been a question about doing any TSBs from them. Make sure you talk to &quot;Brian&quot; in the service department. I was the first one to hand him the TSB when it came out. He looked at it, asked me if I noticed it on my car. I told him that I had seen it a few times but as sporadic problems go the tech probably wouldn't be able to duplicate it. He said no problem and they would take care of it. I did have to go back again but that was because the had to order the MAF replacement. My 7/01 build need MAF replacement in addition to ECU update.

Tomcat
Old 05-14-2003, 08:17 PM

Wait a sec.... TSB fixes are free of charge, right? Maybe they just dont want the trouble and hassle with fixing cars free of charge???

~limsandy
Old 05-14-2003, 09:00 PM

Wait a sec.... TSB fixes are free of charge, right? Maybe they just dont want the trouble and hassle with fixing cars free of charge???
~limsandy
The dealers get reimbursed for warranty and recall work they do by Nissan. I would think the same applies to TSBs. But if Nissan corporate has some policy where they discourages work to keep costs down...
Old 05-17-2003, 11:09 AM

Has anyone gotten the MAF replaced and ECU updated in the S. Cal area? Let me know b/c 2 dealers I went to would not do either. Thanks
Old 05-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by ICELANDIC MAX
Has anyone gotten the MAF replaced and ECU updated in the S. Cal area? Let me know b/c 2 dealers I went to would not do either. Thanks
I suggest Downtown L.A. Nissan. George the sevice manager is a great guy and if your car qualifies under the tsb he will be glad to help you out.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:45 AM

Where would you find the TSB to print out?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by cwerdna

The dealers get reimbursed for warranty and recall work they do by Nissan. I would think the same applies to TSBs. But if Nissan corporate has some policy where they discourages work to keep costs down...
Actually, no. Dealers only get reimbursed for in-warranty work. TSB's are not considered warranty work. If you are out of your 36K warranty they don't have to do the TSB at all unless you want to pay for it. A TSB just tells them HOW to fix the problem. It is not a RECALL.

At least that's how my dealership explained it to me. It all seems like BS to me since it's obvious Nissan acknowledges that there is a problem, then distribute info on how to fix it, but then aren't willing to do the work without someone else footing the bill.