5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HP gains on Y/B pipe on 2001 different than 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 12:51 PM
MaximaFreak

HP gains on Y/B pipe on 2001 different than 4th gen?

Just acquired a 2001 SE 5 speed. Former owner says it has a Cattman Y and B pipe and the pipes sure don't look stock. However, the car is certainly not even close to as fast as my 98 SE 5 speed. My car almost pulls harder to redline than the 2001. I know the HP gains for a Y-pipe on the 3.5L motor are negligible compared to the 4th gen gains, is it the same case for the 3.0L? I wouldn't think so, but the car runs perfectly otherwise so I have no reason to believe there's a problem with the car itself.

What else could be contributing to a HP loss if the car isn't throwing a CEL? I took it into the dealer and they say the VI is working fine as that was my first guess as to HP loss. Realistically, the 2001 should be just as fast 0-60 as my car and should beat me in the 1/4 mi based on mods (both have Y,B and the 98 has a JWT Pop charger - 2001 has stock intake) and based on the fact that the 2001 has a VI.

Anyone?
Old 05-13-2003, 12:59 PM
jjs

Don't forget about two important factors.

1. Weight difference...the 2k1 is approx. 200 lbs. heavier.
2. While the HP difference of 222 to 190 seems wide, the actual torque increase is only 12 ft/lbs.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:08 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by jjs
Don't forget about two important factors.

1. Weight difference...the 2k1 is approx. 200 lbs. heavier.
2. While the HP difference of 222 to 190 seems wide, the actual torque increase is only 12 ft/lbs.
I do realize there is a weight difference. Basically, a stock 2k1 vs. a stock 98, both 5MT, would more or less run dead even 0-60 and the 2k1 should edge it out in the 1/4 mi due to the VI. So, based on that, and the mods, the cars should still be close in both categories. Now, this is only my butt dyno (actually the wife said the same thing after driving my car today) but my car is probably a good half second faster in the 1/4 mile if not more. I would need to get both cars to the track to find out for sure.

Would the lack of an aftermarket intake affect the 2k1 much? I know stacking mods often yields more HP gains from the same equip sometimes ...
Old 05-13-2003, 01:48 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

y pipe gains for 2k-2k1 is less than 4th gen because they remove both precats and ours only removes one. im sure the difference is only a few hp, maybe 2-4. the curb weight plays a huge difference along with the anchors they call wheels.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:54 PM
jjs

Originally posted by sloppymax
along with the anchors they call wheels.

Good point! Guess that one becomes item #3.

Old 05-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Perhaps the list should be re-ordered and the wheels should become item #1. SteVTEC's article in the battle of the 3.0s showed how the 2k 17" wheels were hurting the 2K-2K1s acceleration in a big way. . .

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_read...ns/index.shtml

DW

Originally posted by jjs

Good point! Guess that one becomes item #3.

Old 05-13-2003, 02:19 PM
jjs

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Perhaps the list should be re-ordered and the wheels should become item #1. SteVTEC's article in the battle of the 3.0s showed how the 2k 17" wheels were hurting the 2K-2K1s acceleration in a big way. . .

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_read...ns/index.shtml

DW

I wasn't inferring any kind of ranking, but that is not a bad idea.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: HP gains on Y/B pipe on 2001 different than 4th gen?

Originally posted by Big_Ham
Just acquired a 2001 SE 5 speed. Former owner says it has a Cattman Y and B pipe and the pipes sure don't look stock. However, the car is certainly not even close to as fast as my 98 SE 5 speed. My car almost pulls harder to redline than the 2001. I know the HP gains for a Y-pipe on the 3.5L motor are negligible compared to the 4th gen gains, is it the same case for the 3.0L? I wouldn't think so, but the car runs perfectly otherwise so I have no reason to believe there's a problem with the car itself.

What else could be contributing to a HP loss if the car isn't throwing a CEL? I took it into the dealer and they say the VI is working fine as that was my first guess as to HP loss. Realistically, the 2001 should be just as fast 0-60 as my car and should beat me in the 1/4 mi based on mods (both have Y,B and the 98 has a JWT Pop charger - 2001 has stock intake) and based on the fact that the 2001 has a VI.

Anyone?
I am to lazy to search but I belive the dealer wil say the VI is working as long as the lever on the outside is working. It is possible for the the VI to switch on the outside but not the inside. The only way to tell is with a dyno or to run with another 2k 2k1 with similer mods. If the VI is not working the other max will walk away at 5000 RPM.

Could the Cattman Y have the collapsed flex section? Or was that only 4th gens?
Old 05-15-2003, 08:18 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Re: HP gains on Y/B pipe on 2001 different than 4th gen?

Originally posted by Anachronism

I am to lazy to search but I belive the dealer wil say the VI is working as long as the lever on the outside is working. It is possible for the the VI to switch on the outside but not the inside. The only way to tell is with a dyno or to run with another 2k 2k1 with similer mods. If the VI is not working the other max will walk away at 5000 RPM.

Could the Cattman Y have the collapsed flex section? Or was that only 4th gens?
its harder to hear with an intake and a loud exhaust if you have one but i can still hear my VI kick over. right after it swepts past 5k, its a real distinctive change. the cattman flex failure occured with 5th gens as well but so far im lucky on my 1st gen cattman Y.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:35 AM
MaximaFreak

Re: Re: Re: HP gains on Y/B pipe on 2001 different than 4th gen?

Originally posted by sloppymax

its harder to hear with an intake and a loud exhaust if you have one but i can still hear my VI kick over. right after it swepts past 5k, its a real distinctive change. the cattman flex failure occured with 5th gens as well but so far im lucky on my 1st gen cattman Y.
This is apparently a newer 2nd gen cattman Y and B pipe and they are very NOT loud which is another thing I don't understand. As I sstated before I have a y&b on the 98 and my exhaust is much louder than stock. However, it is my understanding that the Y pipe on the 5th gen still retains one of the pre-cats and eliminates one of the pre-cats.

I still have gotten no where with this issue. I think the VI is working, but I need to drive the cars again back to back this weekend to know for sure. I'm also going to take pics of the Y&B on the 2001 and post here to see if you all can tell me if they really are aftermarket pipes or if the dealer or someone else took the Cattman stuff off and replaced them with stock.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:25 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Re: Re: Re: HP gains on Y/B pipe on 2001 different than 4th gen?

Originally posted by Big_Ham

This is apparently a newer 2nd gen cattman Y and B pipe and they are very NOT loud which is another thing I don't understand. As I sstated before I have a y&b on the 98 and my exhaust is much louder than stock. However, it is my understanding that the Y pipe on the 5th gen still retains one of the pre-cats and eliminates one of the pre-cats.

I still have gotten no where with this issue. I think the VI is working, but I need to drive the cars again back to back this weekend to know for sure. I'm also going to take pics of the Y&B on the 2001 and post here to see if you all can tell me if they really are aftermarket pipes or if the dealer or someone else took the Cattman stuff off and replaced them with stock.
i dont know if the 2nd gen has it or not but on my 1st gen, it says for off road use only on the pipe itself. telling a first gen from stock is easy because of the small flex section but the second gen is longer so might appear more stock.