5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Synthetic-regular-synthetic-regular = BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 10:10 PM

Synthetic-regular-synthetic-regular = BAD?

Is it bad for to switch back and forth from synthetic oil to regular(natural..?) oil?

The reason I ask is I'm planning an changing the oil myself using synthetic between the scheduled maintenance services(oil change every 7500 miles for Schedule 3). I need to have Nissan do the maintenance in order to keep the warranty, right? I'm sure they don't use synthetic and even if they do will probably charge a small fortune...
Old 05-14-2003, 10:12 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ask yourself this. How in the frickity foo foo is the dealer gonna know?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:17 PM

Hahaha, frickity foo foo, oh man ROFL
Old 05-14-2003, 10:35 PM

Sorry to get off topic for a moment, But do you really have to let the dealership do the routine maintenance intervals in order to keep your factory/extended warranty valid???
Old 05-14-2003, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Ask yourself this. How in the frickity foo foo is the dealer gonna know?
I don't think you understand my question. I need to have a Nissan dealership do the scheduled maintenance in order not to void the new car warranty. They do keep service records in their systems. But, I'd rather go the least amount of times as possible since they charge an arm & leg for service. That would be schedule 3 according to the service manual - oil change every 7500 mi. as oppose to schedule 1 which is every 3250 mi. At the same time, 7500 mi is too long between changes so I'm doing it myself with synthetic.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

I wouldn't even use synthetic if you have to use dino inbetween. Plus I seriously doubt you have to go to the dealer for EVERY maintaince. I think for the minor stuff(ie.. oil changes/filter changes) you can do it yourself BUT YOU NEED TO HAVE PROOF that you did it. ie.. dated purchase receipts for the filter/oil or a receipt from a shop. If you are that worried call 1800nissan-1 and have them explain the warranty. If the dealer is threatening to void your warranty if you DON'T do EVERY scheduled oil change, tell him to screw himself. In theory, you shouldn't even have to go to Nissan for ANY work. As long as the maintainance was done on schedule,with the right parts and was performed correct.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:48 PM
tEh Hope

Originally posted by clipse
Sorry to get off topic for a moment, But do you really have to let the dealership do the routine maintenance intervals in order to keep your factory/extended warranty valid???

As far as I know, you can do your own oil change and still be covered under warranty... If Nissan really required that oil changes be done by dealers, dealers would be making $hit load of money on maintenance work than actually selling the cars just by jacking up their service prices...

I am glad that you started a thread about synthetic oil because I was going to start one myself... I still haven't even done my first scheduled maintenance yet, so I am planning on using synthtic oil for good. According to the Nissan's mechanic, it's a good idea to do the first 2 oil changes with regular oil and switch to synthetic from 3rd oil change onwards...

Here are my questions:
1) What the best (but economical) synthetic oil for a Max? What brand, and what type?
2) Same with oil filters?
3) Let's say you use 5 quarts of regular oil every oil change, how many quarts of synthetic oil do you use? I heard synthetic oil lasts a longer time in comparison.

I am still learning, so don't laugh if my questions sound stupid...
Old 05-14-2003, 11:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

General forum stickes. Has all the info you need Maxxxed
Old 05-15-2003, 05:56 AM

I used to work for Jiffy lube for 2 years. So im speaking from experience.

1. Going from synthetic to regular or vice versa is not bad for the car.

2.You can change your oil anywhere you want, Just keep your reciepts of oil purchases and oil filter.

3.Even if you use synthetic you should still change your oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months (whichever comes first). It does not last longer. Synthetic oil can still become contaminated if abused. Now yes, you can push it a little more than 3,000 but dont exagerate.

4. Heres a trick that all of you might wanna know.

Did you know that by using 1 quart of synthetic oil and the rest regular oil, you will get the same results as using all synthetic?

Yes I learned this while working 2 years at this place. And its a fact. Ive been doing this for many years now to all my cars.

If you have any questions, ask away..
Old 05-15-2003, 06:01 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by MaXBoost03_SE
3.Even if you use synthetic you should still change your oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months (whichever comes first). It does not last longer. Synthetic oil can still become contaminated if abused. Now yes, you can push it a little more than 3,000 but dont exagerate.

this is actually incorrect bro.....its been proven that with synthetic, if you keep it in for 3,000 miles or less, you are wasting your money with it.....

Synthetic is designed for higher mileage....ask any Amsoil dealer, they'll tell you the same

Old 05-15-2003, 06:07 AM

Heres some other info that might be useful

Found this article online... check it out

IS SYNTHETIC OIL OK?

Synthetic oil is fine to use. In fact, I was not big on synthetic oil until I took a tour of an American Airlines service facility in Tulsa, OK, where my friend, Allen Thurman, worked. I learned that synthetic oil was developed for jet engines because regular petroleum based oil would only last about 20 minutes in a jet engine. Well, for one who flies a lot, that sounded like a good idea since it takes 20 minutes just to taxi to the runway for takeoff.

The only time I would not recommend using synthetic oil is when you are first breaking in a new engine in the first 5,000-6,000 miles or on an older engine over 80,000 miles, especially if it has leaks. For new engines, synthetic oil is so slick that the piston rings may not properly seal in the cyclicylinderswever, I would also not recommend using it during the warranty period of a new car, it may void the warranty. Again, carefully read your owner's manual.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:09 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Heres some other info that might be useful

Found this article online... check it out

IS SYNTHETIC OIL OK?

Synthetic oil is fine to use. In fact, I was not big on synthetic oil until I took a tour of an American Airlines service facility in Tulsa, OK, where my friend, Allen Thurman, worked. I learned that synthetic oil was developed for jet engines because regular petroleum based oil would only last about 20 minutes in a jet engine. Well, for one who flies a lot, that sounded like a good idea since it takes 20 minutes just to taxi to the runway for takeoff.

The only time I would not recommend using synthetic oil is when you are first breaking in a new engine in the first 5,000-6,000 miles or on an older engine over 80,000 miles, especially if it has leaks. For new engines, synthetic oil is so slick that the piston rings may not properly seal in the cyclicylinderswever, I would also not recommend using it during the warranty period of a new car, it may void the warranty. Again, carefully read your owner's manual.

who wrote this ****??? if he's a reputable oil manufacturer or mechanic or engineer, fine....if he's some yahoo who decided to make his own page, this is just plain garbage

Old 05-15-2003, 06:14 AM

Re: Re: Heres some other info that might be useful

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

who wrote this ****??? if he's a reputable oil manufacturer or mechanic or engineer, fine....if he's some yahoo who decided to make his own page, this is just plain garbage
Got that from Motor Trend...
Old 05-15-2003, 06:17 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: Re: Heres some other info that might be useful

Got that from Motor Trend...
total garbage IMO..i'll stick with what i've been told by the pros

Old 05-15-2003, 06:43 AM

I used to work for Jiffy lube for 2 years. So im speaking from experience.

4. Heres a trick that all of you might wanna know.

Did you know that by using 1 quart of synthetic oil and the rest regular oil, you will get the same results as using all synthetic?

Yes I learned this while working 2 years at this place. And its a fact. Ive been doing this for many years now to all my cars.

What you're not factoring in under #3 is that the synthetic oils contain a different additive package that allows them to safely neutralize those harmful contaminants so the oil can be in service longer. Synthetics also don't break down and create their own contaminants like petroleum products will.

I've used synthetics for an 8K mile interval that included "abuse", meaning full throttle operation at roadcourses and my oil samples came back better than some people at half that interval.

As for #4: Do you have any actual proof whatsoever that this is fact? Also, have you ever seen any oil analysis reports?
Old 05-15-2003, 06:44 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by iwannabmw

What you're not factoring in under #3 is that the synthetic oils contain a different additive package that allows them to safely neutralize those harmful contaminants so the oil can be in service longer. Synthetics also don't break down and create their own contaminants like petroleum products will.

I've used synthetics for an 8K mile interval that included "abuse", meaning full throttle operation at roadcourses and my oil samples came back better than some people at half that interval.

As for #4: Do you have any actual proof whatsoever that this is fact? Also, have you ever seen any oil analysis reports?
See, Maxboost, this is the dude to talk to regarding synthetics!!!

thank you bro!

Old 05-15-2003, 06:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Heres some other info that might be useful

total garbage IMO..i'll stick with what i've been told by the pros
What do you find about it that's garbage?

Nothing will beat up an oil more than a turbine engine. In the aircraft I used to fly, the turbine inlet temperature could approach 1600 degrees. How would you like to be one of those bearings? There aren't any petroleum oils available for turbine engines either, they all specify a synthetic. These synthetics are all ester based due to the extreme temperatures seen in a turbine engine.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:50 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Heres some other info that might be useful

Originally posted by iwannabmw

What do you find about it that's garbage?

Nothing will beat up an oil more than a turbine engine. In the aircraft I used to fly, the turbine inlet temperature could approach 1600 degrees. How would you like to be one of those bearings? There aren't any petroleum oils available for turbine engines either, they all specify a synthetic. These synthetics are all ester based due to the extreme temperatures seen in a turbine engine.
what I find as garbage is the fact that that same person said that synthetics shouldn't be used in new engines and will void warranties...thats garbage

Old 05-15-2003, 06:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My dealership sells a "preferred" card for $85.

It basically gives you three years of oil changes (12 total), plus 10% off on parts and labor for three years.

I don't worry what kind of oil is in it - whatever the dealer carries.

_R
Old 05-15-2003, 07:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Heres some other info that might be useful

what I find as garbage is the fact that that same person said that synthetics shouldn't be used in new engines and will void warranties...thats garbage
Oh okay, I misunderstood.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:16 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I still dont think syn should be used in a new VQ, at least until the second or third change.

Back to the original question, I save all the receipts for filters and oil, and I keep a log in the back of the owners manual. When I go in (rarely) for dealer service, I mention if they touch my oil, they will be draining it and refilling with Mobil1. This usually equates to a cost they want to avoid and I have yet to have them do it when I've asked them not to. I also get a discount on the service since there is no change.

Just save any documentation. As far as the inspection checklists, I also make note of when I've done those myself in the manual.. I did the 30K for the flushes, but that was all. I made sure they didnt touch the oil.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Heres some other info that might be useful

I would also not recommend using it during the warranty period of a new car, it MAY void the warranty. Again, carefully read your owner's manual.

He said it may, not that it will
Old 05-15-2003, 07:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

synthetic oil

Originally posted by Maxxxed
i use mobil 1 5w/30 .it depends on your driving condition. highway or stop and go traffic.highway every 5000 miles and sop and go traffic every 3000. like they say oil is cheaper than steel.

As far as I know, you can do your own oil change and still be covered under warranty... If Nissan really required that oil changes be done by dealers, dealers would be making $hit load of money on maintenance work than actually selling the cars just by jacking up their service prices...

I am glad that you started a thread about synthetic oil because I was going to start one myself... I still haven't even done my first scheduled maintenance yet, so I am planning on using synthtic oil for good. According to the Nissan's mechanic, it's a good idea to do the first 2 oil changes with regular oil and switch to synthetic from 3rd oil change onwards...

Here are my questions:
1) What the best (but economical) synthetic oil for a Max? What brand, and what type?
2) Same with oil filters?
3) Let's say you use 5 quarts of regular oil every oil change, how many quarts of synthetic oil do you use? I heard synthetic oil lasts a longer time in comparison.

I am still learning, so don't laugh if my questions sound stupid...
Old 05-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Synthetic-regular-synthetic-regular = BAD?

Originally posted by AYAYAY
Is it bad for to switch back and forth from synthetic oil to regular(natural..?) oil?

The reason I ask is I'm planning an changing the oil myself using synthetic between the scheduled maintenance services(oil change every 7500 miles for Schedule 3). I need to have Nissan do the maintenance in order to keep the warranty, right? I'm sure they don't use synthetic and even if they do will probably charge a small fortune...
You should check with Nissan - I don't think you void your warranty if you don't use their service (note that I said check with Nissan, not the dealer...)

1-800-Nissan1

>>>>>>EDIT: What the hell, made the call myself. Nissan confirmed that the dealer DOES NOT have to do the maintenance for your car to stay under warranty. The guy made a good suggestion though, which is to keep your invoices / receipts for the work, so that if an engine warranty problem comes up, you can prove that you changed your oil etc.

I personally plan on using my dealer for major maintenance only (15k, 30k, etc.).<<<<<<<<<