5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hella supertone install help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 04:35 PM

Hella supertone install help needed.

Anyone with the link on Hella supertone install writeup (with pics)?
thanks.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:37 PM

Re: Hella supertone install help needed.

Originally posted by Teser
Anyone with the link on Hella supertone install writeup (with pics)?
thanks.
It's not that hard. Just unplug the olds, unbolt them. Bolt the new ones in and plug them in. I think that's how it goes.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The factory horns don't have an external ground. The Hella horns require a ground wire. Just find a bolt on the frame and run the ground from the horns there. I used the actual horn mounting bolt as the ground. The power comes from the factory plug, which just plugs right onto the horns.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
The factory horns don't have an external ground. The Hella horns require a ground wire. Just find a bolt on the frame and run the ground from the horns there. I used the actual horn mounting bolt as the ground. The power comes from the factory plug, which just plugs right onto the horns.
Maybe I got a worng kit. It's a Hella Supertone Horn Set. It comes with two horns, and a relay with instructions. No wires, no bolts, nothing else. Instructions are to brief, I remember seeing some writeups on the ORG, but can't find them ;(
Old 05-22-2003, 05:02 PM
NT2SHBBY

where are these horns located??? behind the bumper???

Old 05-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe I got a worng kit. It's a Hella Supertone Horn Set. It comes with two horns, and a relay with instructions. No wires, no bolts, nothing else. Instructions are to brief, I remember seeing some writeups on the ORG, but can't find them ;(
Yes, you got the correct set. Thats all they come with for some reason. Just follow these directions:
and you are set. Its actually real easy even though I was having with my own set. Thanks njmaxselttd- b/c your help..lotz of people get my attention.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:36 PM

You'll definitely should install the relay cuz you might blow fuses if you don't. Power comes from the plug on the old horns and then another power from the relay. They'll sound a lot louder if you run a relay to the battery too..
Old 05-22-2003, 06:30 PM

Ok, let me be more specific about questions that I have.
1. I believe that they should be placed behind the grill, therefore I need to know how to remove the grill.
2. Do I remove the stock horn(s)? and place new ones on the old spot, or do I attach them somewhere else?
3. I understand that I have to install the relay. The instructions that came with new horns show two types of installation - a)horn push negatively connected to existing horn; b)horn push positively connected to existing horn. They don't explain how to determine which one to choose. They also show some sort of splitter for the wire that splits the power for two horns. Do I need a special spliter?, or can I just solder piece of wire to another one?
4. Which one is the positive, and which one is the negative connector on the horn (they are not labeled)? Or it does not matter?
5.According to instructions, one of the wires from the relay is connected to the steering wheel honk. Do they mean, it's connected to the factory wire that goes to the factory horns?

That's why I am looking for the writeup. I've seen it somewhere on the site, but didnt bookmark it ;(
Old 05-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Pointy Elbows

I'll be getting a set soon. Can anyone help us with the install? How about a link?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by 00MaxSE
I'll be getting a set soon. Can anyone help us with the install? How about a link?

Thanks
I've already got mine installed Took some time though.
I'll try to post a little writeup within few days. I have a few pics, but have nowhere to host them.
BTW, I got my set from http://www.rapidparts.com/Pages/vwc004n.html
good fast service, and great price.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Pointy Elbows

It took some time, huh? How long did it take?

BTW I got mine on Ebay for an even better price.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Pointy Elbows

Teser, did you do the write up yet? I always feel more comfortable when I have step by step instructions. I can't wait to get these installed! I know they are louder, but how is the tone different? Is it like an American car or still like the stock horn?

-Jason
Old 06-14-2003, 08:22 PM
I miss the .org!

BTW I got mine on Ebay for an even better price.
Did you get the right one? There's more than one Hella supertone set. The one I got (from Soundmike) was with 1 300Hz and 1 500Hz horn. I know of at least one other style that comes with 300 and 375...
Old 06-14-2003, 09:33 PM

Teser, did you do the write up yet? I always feel more comfortable when I have step by step instructions. I can't wait to get these installed! I know they are louder, but how is the tone different? Is it like an American car or still like the stock horn?

-Jason
Sorry for taking it soo long. I've been a bit busy.
Today at the NE meet, I found out that stock also has TWO horns. I did NOT know that! So Now I have three horns hooked up ( 2 Hellas and one stock )
I'll probably will remove the other stock and run the wire to the relay later. I'll try to put together a write up pretty soon.

BTW, my kit is 300Hz and 500Hz horns.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally posted by Triple8Sol

Did you get the right one? There's more than one Hella supertone set. The one I got (from Soundmike) was with 1 300Hz and 1 500Hz horn. I know of at least one other style that comes with 300 and 375...
Oh, well I just checked and I got the 300/375Hz. So with this, can I install it without the relay? What I got won't be nearly as lound as what you got huh?

J.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:16 PM

Oh, well I just checked and I got the 300/375Hz. So with this, can I install it without the relay? What I got won't be nearly as lound as what you got huh?

J.
I think it's still a good idea to use relay.
I believe that 300/375 kit is rated at 113dB as opposed to 118dB for 300/500
BTW, anyone installed something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2418930622
??
Old 06-18-2003, 06:19 AM

I recently purchased a set of Hella supertone horns (part# 85115) from www.offroadwarehouse.com The horns are currently priced to sell for an online price of $56.99 ($65 w/CA tax, and ground shipping).

Afterwards, I emailed hella.faq@hellausa.com for a wiring diagram for these horns. From the diagram I recieved, the relay is necessary only if you want to add the hella horns to your existing stock horns circuit. It does not look as if the relay is needed to maximize the full sound of the hella horns.

Any electricians out there to comment on this?
Old 06-18-2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Papamonty
I recently purchased a set of Hella supertone horns (part# 85115) from www.offroadwarehouse.com The horns are currently priced to sell for an online price of $56.99 ($65 w/CA tax, and ground shipping).

Afterwards, I emailed hella.faq@hellausa.com for a wiring diagram for these horns. From the diagram I recieved, the relay is necessary only if you want to add the hella horns to your existing stock horns circuit. It does not look as if the relay is needed to maximize the full sound of the hella horns.

Mine came with the instruction set. Very Brief. But it still shows that relay is needed even if you are replacing your stock horns. I know some people say that they installed Hellas without a relay and it works. Still, Hella's diagram shows that you have to use relay.
Wiring is pretty simple.
83 - Ground
30 - Battery +
87 - Hella Horns
86 - Stock Horn connector
That's it.
It's pretty easy to do. Beter if you solder your connections to horns and relay.

Good Luck.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:40 PM

I have no idea about 5th gens, but I hooked up my 300 and 375 supertones on my 3rd gen in place of my stock horns. They are definitely louder with the relay. However this may be a function of using lower guage wiring with the relay. The lower guage wire I used with the relay may allow for more power to the horns.

Old 06-18-2003, 06:47 PM

They claim that horns consume 6A current which is in the range of the stock fuse(10A). The car already has horn relay stock so it should work the same regardless where to connect. The wire >= 0.1" diameter should be enough for 6A current. I have no personal experience with them though.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Pointy Elbows

Mine came with the instruction set. Very Brief. But it still shows that relay is needed even if you are replacing your stock horns. I know some people say that they installed Hellas without a relay and it works. Still, Hella's diagram shows that you have to use relay.
Wiring is pretty simple.
83 - Ground
30 - Battery +
87 - Hella Horns
86 - Stock Horn connector
That's it.
It's pretty easy to do. Beter if you solder your connections to horns and relay.

Good Luck.
My relay has 5 connections. For 87, do we connect that to BOTH horns? Also, what about 86? Do we do the same with that? Split the connection off both of them?

Old 06-19-2003, 06:08 PM

My relay has 5 connections. For 87, do we connect that to BOTH horns? Also, what about 86? Do we do the same with that? Split the connection off both of them?

5 connections? hmmm.
probably cause you have different kit.
refer to instructions that came with it.

I'd say yes, connect to both, just make a split.
I soldered wires that I have.

I actually didn't know that I had a second stock horn so there is only one stock connector goes to my relay. It still works with 3 horns
Old 06-21-2003, 02:43 AM

I recieved my Hella horns (300 and 500 Hz) this afternoon and installed them this evening. I first tried to use the relay. I followed the included instructions but I couldn't get the horns to work (relay connector 30 to battery (+), 87 to hella horn, 86 to factory stock horn connector, and 85 to ground).

I gave up on using the relay and just replaced the stock horns with the hellas (stock connector to silver lead and ground to copper lead). I went on the freeway to try them out. Sounds different but very loud. I held the horn down for > 10 sec and surprisingly the horn fuse did not blow.

I'll see how the horns handle the day to day grind in the next few days.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Pointy Elbows

5 connections? hmmm.
probably cause you have different kit.
refer to instructions that came with it.

I'd say yes, connect to both, just make a split.
I soldered wires that I have.

I actually didn't know that I had a second stock horn so there is only one stock connector goes to my relay. It still works with 3 horns
Well the instructions don't help me very much. I have 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87a on my relay.

Old 06-21-2003, 11:25 PM

I recieved my Hella horns (300 and 500 Hz) this afternoon and installed them this evening. I first tried to use the relay. I followed the included instructions but I couldn't get the horns to work (relay connector 30 to battery (+), 87 to hella horn, 86 to factory stock horn connector, and 85 to ground).

I gave up on using the relay and just replaced the stock horns with the hellas (stock connector to silver lead and ground to copper lead). I went on the freeway to try them out. Sounds different but very loud. I held the horn down for > 10 sec and surprisingly the horn fuse did not blow.

Please post your day to day grind feedback with the HELLA's. I have a set still awaiting install
Old 06-22-2003, 02:58 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

For the horns to work with the relay you need a really solid ground connection. I found this out through experience with another org member. We tried to ground them to one of the hood latch bolts, but for some reason it didn't ground them well enough with to work with the relay.

I don't remember where we wound up grounding them, but wherever it was, they then worked with the relay. Yup, they ARE very loud!!
Old 06-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally posted by clipse

Please post your day to day grind feedback with the HELLA's. I have a set still awaiting install
Me too. I wish someone could just do a write-up on this.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:15 PM

So far so good without the relay. Mind you I have an 03 max. I set the alarm off for about 10 seconds and no blown fuse. Obviously the Hella horns are drawing < 10A (fuse rating).

According to about.com a relay is a switch that automatically opens and/or closes a circuit, in our case the horn circuit. So if my car already has a relay(switch) for the horn circuit, then maybe I don't need another relay for that horn circuit; in other words, I do not need another switch within a switch since I am using only one set of horns.

Stock horn relay withstanding, the Hella relay has four tabs: 1 for ground, 1 for battery (+), 1 for Hella horns, and 1 for stock horn connector. From this, I can't see how the Hella relay can make the horns louder. The stock horn connector already supplies 12 volts to the Hella horns; the Hella relay connection to the battery won't add any more voltage.

Although we are hearing of blown fuses, I haven't seen any '01 to '03 Maxs blowing fuses specifically using the "plug and play" Hella supertone electric horn setup. Whew. . .a mouthful.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:08 PM

So far so good without the relay. Mind you I have an 03 max. I set the alarm off for about 10 seconds and no blown fuse. Obviously the Hella horns are drawing &lt; 10A (fuse rating).

According to about.com a relay is a switch that automatically opens and/or closes a circuit, in our case the horn circuit. So if my car already has a relay(switch) for the horn circuit, then maybe I don't need another relay for that horn circuit; in other words, I do not need another switch within a switch since I am using only one set of horns.

Stock horn relay withstanding, the Hella relay has four tabs: 1 for ground, 1 for battery (+), 1 for Hella horns, and 1 for stock horn connector. From this, I can't see how the Hella relay can make the horns louder. The stock horn connector already supplies 12 volts to the Hella horns; the Hella relay connection to the battery won't add any more voltage.

Although we are hearing of blown fuses, I haven't seen any '01 to '03 Maxs blowing fuses specifically using the &quot;plug and play&quot; Hella supertone electric horn setup. Whew. . .a mouthful.
Thanks for your review so far. Keep us updated in a week or so.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:58 PM

I hade mine wired to the stock relays, as a swap out, for several months. I've held the horn(s) on for over 20 seconds... No blown fuses or any other problems to speak of.

The only thing I can think of that would change the sound of them using the Hella relay is that the current is supplied from one relay on one wire the instead of from two relays, 3 accually for 02+ cars, on two wires.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:21 PM

From what I can remember from my physics courses, all things being equal, an electron will reach its destination (the horn) at the same time despite one, two, or three relays unless there is more/less power to push that electron through. At any rate, electricity moves quickly enough that I don't think any "slow down" would be noticeable. I need to read up on the definitions of watt (power), ampere (amt of current), ohm (resistance), and voltage (force or push) again. . .sheesh.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:02 PM

From what I can remember from my physics courses, all things being equal, an electron will reach its destination (the horn) at the same time despite one, two, or three relays unless there is more/less power to push that electron through. At any rate, electricity moves quickly enough that I don't think any &quot;slow down&quot; would be noticeable. I need to read up on the definitions of watt (power), ampere (amt of current), ohm (resistance), and voltage (force or push) again. . .sheesh.
Additional relay could possibly make a difference if our stock has lower than 6A(hella horns current) current capabilities. The stock relay will work in this case but with reduced lifespan and some voltage drop. This is pure speculation and if somebody with Hellas installed could measure voltage drop between +bat and the wire which goes into horn itself we'd know for sure. IMHO voltage drop has to be at least 1V to be noticeable and this 1V is hard to imagine. So, frankly speaking, it should work without additional relay providing that all connections are good.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:21 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

so um i dont need to use the relay on my 4th gen right