5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is there any way to disable all the rear lights with one switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 03:05 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

so is speeding, but that don't stop u does it?? don't stop me!!
I would venture to say that those are two totally different levels of "illegal".
Old 05-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by emax02

You can always down shift If I am doing something realy dumb and need to kill my tails (liscense plate is the only thing I want to hide) I usualy won't be hitting the brakes any time soon, so I just kill the lights and use just my high beam system.

Who needs brakes?!?!?!

If you really need them just use the e-brake for NO brake lights. I do it all the time when a cop passes, so he doesn't see the car dive or my brake lights come on.

Thanks for the tip BTW.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:02 PM
Moderator GT-R

Relays My ****!

Ground is ground is ground. Clip the ground from each lamp, tie them all together and run the single ground through your switch.

This was a fairly common modification in the old days, '70s and '80s for me but we didn't invent it. We were young and didn't know better. The idea was to line up the cars on the designated back road and switch on the headlamps only when you get the flag. It usually didn't fool the cops but boys will be boys. Screwed up alot of perfectly good wiring harnesses though.

Cover your rear license plate? Lots of cars from the '60s - '80s had a flip down rear tag with the fuel filler behind it. Those old parts are probably hard to find now. Look for a piece of half inch piano hinge at the hardware store. I never did this one but the ones I saw had a lawnmower throttle cable type thang to raise/lower the tag. In the high tech 21st century id look for a servo motor or a small actuator.

If you are good you can outrun a cop. The problem is you can't outrun the damned radio!
Old 05-30-2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Magellan
He'll also need a surface to air missile system installed on the roof to shoot down the police helicopter who can track him in spite of his tail lights being out.
My brother and I figured that out once... In a chase the helicopter is always on you unless you drive into a restricted air zone like an air port.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:18 AM
CO2kmax

Another electrical genious stepping to the plate. If u did that to the grounds would u start throwing fuses? Im prob wrong but just wondering?

Old 05-31-2003, 05:22 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by CO2kmax
Another electrical genious stepping to the plate. If u did that to the grounds would u start throwing fuses? Im prob wrong but just wondering?
If you'll stick the fuse in a snowball you can throw it farther.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:39 AM
CO2kmax

Originally posted by bluemaxx

If you'll stick the fuse in a snowball you can throw it farther.
Yes you are correct. Even better distance when it's wet and good packing snow!

Old 05-31-2003, 07:47 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by CO2kmax

Yes you are correct. Even better distance when it's wet and good packing snow!
Go Eagles!
Old 05-31-2003, 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by boba001

My brother and I figured that out once... In a chase the helicopter is always on you unless you drive into a restricted air zone like an air port.
You couldn't be more wrong. All the pilot has to do is call the tower or ATC for permission to fly into the space. It's quite routine. (BTW, I have a commecial helicopter license.)
Old 05-31-2003, 01:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
Yeah, and I always wanted a tailpipe that spits out smoke and/or oil,

lol this reminds me of a story that my grandfather told me. On his motorcycle when he was a kid he had two gas tanks, one filled with gas and one with kerosene, and when the cops would chase him he would switch over to the kerosene and the tailpipe would just spit smoke leaving his pursuer in a cloud hehe

-Steve
Old 05-31-2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Magellan
You couldn't be more wrong. All the pilot has to do is call the tower or ATC for permission to fly into the space. It's quite routine. (BTW, I have a commecial helicopter license.)
Damn, guess I shouldn't believe everything I see in movies
Old 06-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow! I completely forgot about this thread.

The only reason would be for the looks. I think it would be cool to be able to switch off all the rear lights at once.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:11 PM

Not that I am proud of this at this time, but when I first got my Supra Turbo in 94, I had a huge stereo system put in, and at the same time had one of these kill switches installed. I didn't do it, so I don't know the specifics, but my installer was on of the "top 100" in the nation as named by Car Audio or one of those similar trade rags at the time. Here is where his creativity came into play. My switch has an indicator light on the dash - flip the switch and kill the rear, and a red light stays on. Further, hit the brakes with the rear killed, and an audible tone comes through the stereo to remind you that people behind you are not seeing brake lights. Again, not something that I feel great about now, but yes it did help me elude the police on several occasions. The Cliff Notes version of running from the police is you have about 30 seconds to get out of their sight - if you can't lose them that fast or less, you are toast. Two quick turns, and no rear lights and mission accomplished. And no, I never did get caught - I just grew out of that phase.