5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2 weeks in he11....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2 weeks in he11....

I had to take the Max back into the dealer to fix the damage to the paint after they wrecked it (whole other story). Anyhoo... They put me in a new Altima while they had my car. They had my Maxima for 2 weeks. All I can say is thank God! I didn't buy the Altima when I was looking. I knew it felt cheap but I had no clue until I had to drive one for a full 2 weeks.

The Interior is just bad, looking at it is bad, but having to use it and see how they went so cheap is worse. The doors sound like Pop cans hitting a wall when you close them. The back end is a Rear Independent Suspension, but the whole car feels like it is going to spin out on off-ramps. The car was so crappy it started leaking through the roof when it was raining here. I am so happy I decided to stay a max owner when I was shopping, give me a higher car payment any day after feeling what I am paying for I am happy for it.

It is bad when a guy that drives an 88 Saab (beaten) and a guy with a 96 Carrola sit in the car and first off complain about how the interior looks cheap and they think the doors are made of tin.

Nissan must be making a killing off of the Altima, because I can't see where the money went on the car.

Thanks for reading.
Happy Max owner.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:25 AM
NT2SHBBY

yeah...and the kicker is, the 03 altima fully loaded cost as much as an 03 maxima with the same options...

Old 06-03-2003, 08:41 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
yeah...and the kicker is, the 03 altima fully loaded cost as much as an 03 maxima with the same options...
and you cant get the HLSD with the alti! why people bought loaded altis vs loaded maximas in 03 is beyond me..then again we all all max enthusiasts!

Old 06-03-2003, 08:41 AM

That's because the 03 Altime 3.5SE is Faster then a 2K2-2K3

Their lighter
Old 06-03-2003, 08:53 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

Their lighter
by 100-200lbs??? come on..... and no 6 speed either on 3.5SE!

Old 06-03-2003, 08:56 AM

True. Their 1/4 times will probably be faster. But that extra gear does come in handy up top on high speed runs..
Old 06-03-2003, 09:13 AM

True. Their 1/4 times will probably be faster. But that extra gear does come in handy up top on high speed runs..
Hey - don't forget we have 15 more HP...
Old 06-03-2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Maximax2

Hey - don't forget we have 15 more HP...

Well looking at my dyno #s I think I am the only one that got the real 255hp motor. Guess I won the Nissan lottery.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:46 AM
BiggD23

Their lighter

They're basically the same weight. From Edmunds.com...

2003 Maxima SE (Auto)
Gross Weight: 4295 lbs
Curb Weight: 3274 lbs

2003 Altima SE (Auto)
Gross Weight: 4374 lbs
Curb Weight: 3246 lbs

The curb weight is what we're looking at.

Old 06-03-2003, 10:04 AM

Re: 2 weeks in he11....

Originally posted by dblrr900
I had to take the Max back into the dealer to fix the damage to the paint after they wrecked it (whole other story). Anyhoo... They put me in a new Altima while they had my car. They had my Maxima for 2 weeks. All I can say is thank God! I didn't buy the Altima when I was looking. I knew it felt cheap but I had no clue until I had to drive one for a full 2 weeks.

The Interior is just bad, looking at it is bad, but having to use it and see how they went so cheap is worse. The doors sound like Pop cans hitting a wall when you close them. The back end is a Rear Independent Suspension, but the whole car feels like it is going to spin out on off-ramps. The car was so crappy it started leaking through the roof when it was raining here. I am so happy I decided to stay a max owner when I was shopping, give me a higher car payment any day after feeling what I am paying for I am happy for it.

It is bad when a guy that drives an 88 Saab (beaten) and a guy with a 96 Carrola sit in the car and first off complain about how the interior looks cheap and they think the doors are made of tin.

Nissan must be making a killing off of the Altima, because I can't see where the money went on the car.

Thanks for reading.
Happy Max owner.
Was this a 2003/4 Alti? 3.5 liter? I hope so, cause every time I see one of those I wonder if I should have gotten the Max.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:09 AM

Maximas are better cars period....but i am still pi$$ed that they gave the altimas so many horses....sigh..
Old 06-03-2003, 10:13 AM

Re: Re: 2 weeks in he11....

Originally posted by spta97

Was this a 2003/4 Alti? 3.5 liter? I hope so, cause every time I see one of those I wonder if I should have gotten the Max.
It was an 02/03 Alti. 2.8 though, but the motor dosnt make the interior and doors any better. The car is crap and I am so happy now. I used to wonder too. I used to think I could have done better with the Altima, not now. No way in he11 would I change up, even if it were brand new.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Blu
the tits

Well looking at my dyno #s I think I am the only one that got the real 255hp motor. Guess I won the Nissan lottery.
I think its more of the dyno calibration. Your car is impressive but only trap speeds will show if it truely more powerful than other 6spds with your mods. Take my dyno I only put down 211whp but I have hit 99 traps. It doesnt bother me as much since reading that SCC article about dynoing and how much it can vary from one dyno to the other.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

I think its more of the dyno calibration. Your car is impressive but only trap speeds will show if it truely more powerful than other 6spds with your mods. Take my dyno I only put down 211whp but I have hit 99 traps. It doesnt bother me as much since reading that SCC article about dynoing and how much it can vary from one dyno to the other.
My Dyno was at SRT in MD. They produce $35,000 Turbo setups for Lexus'. I do not doubt their dyno. If it would have been at "Joe's auto shop" I would have had serious doubts. It was at a Dyno-GTG we had up here and everyone was pretty suprised, I know I was.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:26 AM

Thanks for reading.
Happy Max owner.
Couldnt agree with you more, after test driving the Altima last year, didnt take me long to decide on my 2K2 Max. It sucks the new Max is based on such a POS/
Old 06-03-2003, 10:36 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by MaXiMized MAX02
Maximas are better cars period....
this sums it up great!

Old 06-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Blu
the tits

My Dyno was at SRT in MD. They produce $35,000 Turbo setups for Lexus'. I do not doubt their dyno. If it would have been at "Joe's auto shop" I would have had serious doubts. It was at a Dyno-GTG we had up here and everyone was pretty suprised, I know I was.
Im impressed too. Have any other max guys 02-03's dynoed at that shop. now get to the track
Old 06-03-2003, 11:00 AM

I am not sure if Cartis Dyno'd or not. There are not a lot of 02+ up here that I can speak for. I would love to hit the track but I am quite afraid... In my last car everytime I hit the track I broke something, and I mean like, miss-shift and float valves, etc. I can break into 13s no prob, I am sure of it, I just don't want to keep my track luck going on this car.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:34 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Hahaha....you guys are too funny.

I got a story though.

2wks. ago I was visiting back home when my GF's friend shows up in a new Altima while I'm polishing my windows. So, I walk over to check it out and I say nice car. She says something and I say yeah those are bigger inside than my Max. Then get this, she says, "I looked at one of those, but for A LITTLE MORE I got this"?!?!?! Ok now this is an auto, cloth interior, 2.5S?, with A 4-CYLINDER!

I had to turn away before I laughed. Now I'm assuming she meant 2K2-2K3 Maxima and not my 2K1, but maybe they still had one on the lot.

I might take a V6 Altima over my 2K1, but NEVER over a 4-cylinder Altima. I sure hope she meant LESS and not "a little more" on a 2K2, because if not, she got SCREEEEEEWED!
Old 06-03-2003, 12:45 PM
NT2SHBBY

Re: Hahaha....you guys are too funny.

Originally posted by IceY2K1
I got a story though.

2wks. ago I was visiting back home when my GF's friend shows up in a new Altima while I'm polishing my windows. So, I walk over to check it out and I say nice car. She says something and I say yeah those are bigger inside than my Max. Then get this, she says, "I looked at one of those, but for A LITTLE MORE I got this"?!?!?! Ok now this is an auto, cloth interior, 2.5S?, with A 4-CYLINDER!

I had to turn away before I laughed. Now I'm assuming she meant 2K2-2K3 Maxima and not my 2K1, but maybe they still had one on the lot.

I might take a V6 Altima over my 2K1, but NEVER over a 4-cylinder Altima. I sure hope she meant LESS and not "a little more" on a 2K2, because if not, she got SCREEEEEEWED!
dude...I paid $24k for my 02 Altima 2.5SL out the door....yeah it had leather/sunroof/Bose...but it was the 4 cyl w/o a doubt....

for my 03 Maxima, I paid $23k out the door with TE and sunroof....

how did I pay less for a car with more??

Old 06-03-2003, 12:53 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Hahaha....you guys are too funny.

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

dude...I paid $24k for my 02 Altima 2.5SL out the door....yeah it had leather/sunroof/Bose...but it was the 4 cyl w/o a doubt....

for my 03 Maxima, I paid $23k out the door with TE and sunroof....

how did I pay less for a car with more??
You know, I see more of those damn Altimas than 2K2-2K3 Maximas, so it must be the DEMAND or something.

No WAY IN HELL I'd pay the same for an Altima as a Maxima ESPECIALLY the 4-cylinder version Altima.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:10 PM

Altima, whether V6 or not

Maxima
Old 06-05-2003, 11:26 PM

Thanks for reading.
Happy Max owner.
I originally was gonna buy an 02/03 Altima but test drove the 03 Maxima first and when the dealer brought the Altima around for me to test drive next, I sat in it and took one look at the interior and got out, there was no comparison. Never looked at Altimas again!
Old 06-06-2003, 12:24 AM

When I was with my dad shopping for his new car, we were checking out the 2k2 maxima's (new at the time). Well, the dealer obviously had 2k2 altima's which I think he actually liked the exterior on more, but the second I got in and looked at the gauge pod/dask I was like wtf, and got out. I think if it had a nice interior, we would have went with the Altima 3.5SE ( I say we because I pretty much picked out the car for him, and he didn't argue ) As you prolly guessed, he bought the 2k2 Max, black/black loaded minus navi.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:23 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by ch13f
When I was with my dad shopping for his new car, we were checking out the 2k2 maxima's (new at the time). Well, the dealer obviously had 2k2 altima's which I think he actually liked the exterior on more, but the second I got in and looked at the gauge pod/dask I was like wtf, and got out. I think if it had a nice interior, we would have went with the Altima 3.5SE ( I say we because I pretty much picked out the car for him, and he didn't argue ) As you prolly guessed, he bought the 2k2 Max, black/black loaded minus navi.
My wife had the same reaction. Sat in the alti and aid "What is wrong with this car?"...

Needless to say, the Max was purchased an hour later...