5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Any Stillen RSB Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 07:52 AM
PKO

I'm getting ready to buy a rsb for my 2001 SE. I've done a 5th gen search and found some people complaining about the Addco bar (clunks, groans, cheap, etc). Maybe the 5th gen Addco bar will be different? What I would like to know is if anyone has had any problems with the Stillen rsb. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2001, 08:08 AM

Just be sure you install it with the nuts and bolts exactly as described in the directions. If you reverse one of the sets (with the nut inboard instaed of the bolt head) It can cause interference with the brake lines.
Old 01-27-2001, 08:16 AM

If you install the Stillen RSB correctly, you will have no problems. Mine doesn't have any noise at all. My only problem is a slightly harsher ride. (I'm old)

See my site for installation instructions and pictures.

I'm thinking of taking my RSB off. Anyone want to buy it?
Old 01-27-2001, 09:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
If you install the Stillen RSB correctly, you will have no problems. Mine doesn't have any noise at all. My only problem is a slightly harsher ride. (I'm old)

Damn, Paul, I'm old too. And I didn't notice any difference in ride quality after I installed my Stillen RSB. Of course, I live in So. Cal. The roads out here aren't great, but I suspect they're better than in other areas of the country, especially in the winter.

Well somebody should jump on your offer to sell your RSB. If I didn't have one already, I'd buy it!
Old 01-27-2001, 09:42 AM

Well in So Cal you don't have winter, so your roads are much better. We've had snow on the ground for much of the last 4 weeks. I drove in San Diego and the roads were far better than here. My car ride is fine, until you hit the potholes and cracks in the road.... then you feel it. Thump! When I was in my early 20's I couldn't understand why my father wanted a soft cushy ride in his Lincoln. Looks like I'm moving towards that direction. Actually I'm not that old... only 33, but that is above the average age on Maxima.org.

One thing I do notice on many car enthusiast sites is that most people experience some degradation of ride with a RSB.

Paul

Originally posted by y2kse

Damn, Paul, I'm old too. And I didn't notice any difference in ride quality after I installed my Stillen RSB. Of course, I live in So. Cal. The roads out here aren't great, but I suspect they're better than in other areas of the country, especially in the winter.

Well somebody should jump on your offer to sell your RSB. If I didn't have one already, I'd buy it!
Old 01-27-2001, 09:53 AM

Actually I'm not that old... only 33, but that is above the average age on Maxima.org.
Holy ****, Paul. I'm old enough to be your dad! Guess I'm just lucky in not noticing the ride degradation with the RSB. And one thing I will say . . . the body roll is gone with the RSB installed. But I don't think I could take it if I had to deal with potholes day in and day out.
Old 01-27-2001, 10:02 AM

Hi pops. LOL. I guess the 16-18 olds here can be your grandchildren.

The elimination of body roll is a huge bonus. It took me less than 30 seconds to enjoy the benefit of that. I'm going to remove my RSB and test it a while before making any final decisions. I've probably forgotten the benefit of the RSB. I have a very short memory.

Originally posted by y2kse

Actually I'm not that old... only 33, but that is above the average age on Maxima.org.
Holy ****, Paul. I'm old enough to be your dad! Guess I'm just lucky in not noticing the ride degradation with the RSB. And one thing I will say . . . the body roll is gone with the RSB installed. But I don't think I could take it if I had to deal with potholes day in and day out.
Old 01-27-2001, 10:47 AM

paul, i'll buy the rsb right now, give me a price
Old 01-27-2001, 11:18 AM

Hi pops. LOL. I guess the 16-18 olds here can be your grandchildren.
That's one true thing, Paul!
Old 01-27-2001, 01:03 PM
PKO

Thanks for the info guys (girls?). I think I'll get the Stillen. I'm also too old (41) to be dealing with post-install problems. Come to think of it, maybe I'm too old to be messing around with my car anymore...
Old 01-27-2001, 02:27 PM

I'm 43 and will never be to old to mess around.(with my car) I have the Stillen rsb on my 2k SE. No problems at all
I am in Mass. and I don't think the pot holes are a problem.
Old 01-27-2001, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by PKO
Thanks for the info guys (girls?). I think I'll get the Stillen. I'm also too old (41) to be dealing with post-install problems. Come to think of it, maybe I'm too old to be messing around with my car anymore...
I have the Stillen rsb on my 2000 Max. Ive had no problems at all with it. I love the way the car handles with the rear sway bar and the front strut tower brace. I had Stillen install both of them. By the way, Im 38. Is that old???
Old 01-27-2001, 03:15 PM

dave, thats ancient

j/p
Old 01-27-2001, 04:18 PM
PKO

Originally posted by zbest85
I'm 43 and will never be to old to mess around.(with my car) I have the Stillen rsb on my 2k SE. No problems at all
I am in Mass. and I don't think the pot holes are a problem.
I agree with you zbest85. I'll be 85 and still messing with my car. Might get in a few more accidents, though.
Old 01-27-2001, 04:51 PM

I'm 40 and find that the older I get the more I get into it; at 20 I had too many other things on my head to spend alot of time on my cars, I mean I did spend some time but not with the planning that I do now, not to mention the lack of funds. It's obvious that a lot of young people these days proportionally have more disposable income than when I was younger. I remember it was a huge deal for me to buy a set of Keystone Classics (a whole 250 bux then) for my 72 Satellite Sebring.

But more power to you young guys with the bux to own late model cars and modify them. Just be midful of establishing and maintaining a good credit rating.

Old 01-27-2001, 05:07 PM
PKO

Originally posted by plrod Black 95 SE
I'm 40 and find that the older I get the more I get into it; at 20 I had too many other things on my head to spend alot of time on my cars, I mean I did spend some time but not with the planning that I do now, not to mention the lack of funds. It's obvious that a lot of young people these days proportionally have more disposable income than when I was younger. I remember it was a huge deal for me to buy a set of Keystone Classics (a whole 250 bux then) for my 72 Satellite Sebring.

But more power to you young guys with the bux to own late model cars and modify them. Just be midful of establishing and maintaining a good credit rating.

Keystone Classics! That brings back memories. I remember the most I could afford to do on my '70 Camaro was cut the coils, place lowering blocks and find the best deal on American daisies with Goodrich TA's. Power was not a problem, though.
Old 01-27-2001, 11:22 PM

you are never too old to mess arround with your car.. my grandpa is 72 and still changes his own oil ever 3K miles.. even in the lousy winter weather we have in buffalo..

Fro

Originally posted by PKO
Old 01-28-2001, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by plrod Black 95 SE

Isn't that the truth! I'm 42, and when I was in college, I had a tough time finding money for tuition and books, let alone car mods. I seem to remember an exterior mod I saved my pennies for one time... WAX! Everyone I knew who saw my rattle-trap afterward asked me if I was driving a new car! Hehehe :-)
Old 01-29-2001, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by PKO
Actually, I had never messed around with any of my cars until I was 44 and began hanging out on this board...