5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

RWD vs. FWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 06:32 PM

RWD vs. FWD

Is there a difference between HP loss between the Flywheel and the wheels in a FWD vs. RWD. If a 2K2 max makes 255 at the flywheel would it make more if it were RWD? Just curious why RWD drive cars are considered faster. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FWD cars are harder to launch, especially when you're pushing a lot of hp.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:17 PM

If anything, I think you would lose more power on a rear wheel drive with the same engine because the power is travelling over a longer distance.

The above point made about being harder to launch I think can partly be attributed to the weight of the car shifing rearward. On a rear wheel drive car that will plant the wheels more on the ground and give you more traction. That's why BMW only makes RWD and AWD on their vehicles.

I will say that the chance of you loosing traction in wet weather (without traction control) on a FWD car is far less than a RWD. I took my g/f's brothers G35 coupe for a spin in the rain and kicked out the back end on wet pavement WITH the traction control on!
Old 06-04-2003, 08:20 PM

yes your right, rwd has a greater % of drivetrain loss, but it makes up for it in the handling and launching aspects
Old 06-04-2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
yes your right, rwd has a greater % of drivetrain loss, but it makes up for it in the handling and launching aspects
The question is...why is the handling better? I understand the launch aspect, but I never had a grasp on why it handled better on the road....dry road that is.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by spta97

The question is...why is the handling better? I understand the launch aspect, but I never had a grasp on why it handled better on the road....dry road that is.
The most obvious reason is that on a RWD car, the front tires aren't trying to do the steering and most of the braking, too.

Tires have a limited amount of traction. In order to get maximum traction in a turn, you can't be on the gas in a FWD car. RWD cars can also be 'steered' with the throttle, something that is much harder to do in a FWD car.

Every professional racing series in the world (Nascar, F1, Indy, etc) uses rear or all-wheel drive in their cars. If FWD gave them any advantage at all, they'd use it in a heartbeat. From a purely performance perspective, FWD sucks in comparison to RWD.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:31 PM

Re: RWD vs. FWD

Originally posted by j2k15spd
Just curious why RWD drive cars are considered faster. Thanks for the info.

RWD has advatages on a dry roadcourse or the dragstrip because of the weight transfer to the drive wheels.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:19 AM

It a function of weight distribution, weight transfer and tire loading. In general, fwd cars are more nose heavy than rwd, 64% front weight bias is normal for fwd, this is good for staying straight, lousy for turning (massive understeer and chewed up front tires). The rear tires on a fwd do keep the rear bumper from dragging. <g> In a launch situation the weight is transferred to the rear, off the front, onto the rear.
The poor front tires on a fwd car have to do 80% of the braking, all of the steering and all of the power delivery, on a rwd car the 4 tires share the work much more equally. The result is that in general the rwd can get from here to there more quickly and gracefully than the fwd car.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by wdave
It a function of weight distribution, weight transfer and tire loading. In general, fwd cars are more nose heavy than rwd, 64% front weight bias is normal for fwd, this is good for staying straight, lousy for turning (massive understeer and chewed up front tires). The rear tires on a fwd do keep the rear bumper from dragging. &lt;g&gt; In a launch situation the weight is transferred to the rear, off the front, onto the rear.
The poor front tires on a fwd car have to do 80% of the braking, all of the steering and all of the power delivery, on a rwd car the 4 tires share the work much more equally. The result is that in general the rwd can get from here to there more quickly and gracefully than the fwd car.
So why are more car makers going to the front wheel setup?
Old 06-05-2003, 08:31 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

They're not...there are more overall RWD vehicle platforms than FWD vehicle platform. Cars are more likely to be FWD, and it's all about interior space and overall safety. It's easier to drive a FWD car as it is more forgiving than most of the RWD platforms.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:32 AM
jjs

Originally posted by H.N.I.C.95

Quite simply the majority of vehcile owners/purchasers are morons when it comes to driving and with FWD you have better traction, especially to the drive wheels for things like rain and snow. Having driven both up north before I left Ohio 14 years ago, I can attest that they are superior in that regard.

It is also often a function of location the bulk of the drivetrain up front which allows for more creative use of passenger compartment space and maximization of it.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Cheaper and easier to do for regular consumer cars.
RWD cars require more engineering to take into account the tunnel for the RWD driveshaft. Less parts moving around so it's cheaper to produce. A RWD setup is also heavier than a FWD setup so it requires a more powerful engine, therefore more money spent in the engine. In order for manufacturers like Honda or Toyota, or Hunday to have a car costing around $10K, they can't spend the money on making a powerful engine for a RWD application. FWD setup allows them to maximize their profit for that price range. They can take a not so powerfull engine, setup a FWD car that's lightweight like the celica and get a decent 0-60mph time...
The celica is about 2600lbs. In a RWD platform, it would probably be 3000lbs. If that was the case, the engine would need to be more than 180hp/150lb tq; it would need to be more like 220hp/190lb tq. That would require more money spent on getting the engine to do that....

Hope this helps, sorry for the long post.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

FWD sucks in every way except for winter driving. Period
Old 06-05-2003, 09:23 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by sorcereur
Cheaper and easier to do for regular consumer cars.
RWD cars require more engineering to take into account the tunnel for the RWD driveshaft. Less parts moving around so it's cheaper to produce. A RWD setup is also heavier than a FWD setup so it requires a more powerful engine, therefore more money spent in the engine. In order for manufacturers like Honda or Toyota, or Hunday to have a car costing around $10K, they can't spend the money on making a powerful engine for a RWD application. FWD setup allows them to maximize their profit for that price range. They can take a not so powerfull engine, setup a FWD car that's lightweight like the celica and get a decent 0-60mph time...
The celica is about 2600lbs. In a RWD platform, it would probably be 3000lbs. If that was the case, the engine would need to be more than 180hp/150lb tq; it would need to be more like 220hp/190lb tq. That would require more money spent on getting the engine to do that....

Hope this helps, sorry for the long post.
Well, some of this is true, and some is not. It's not going to necessarily be heavier, and it's not really that expensive to produce IF the car is designed from the outset as a RWD platform. It also does not have to be a more powerful engine to power a RWD car. It is more moving parts, but it's actually simpler by a long shot to work on and around the drivetrain components in a RWD car. It does take away interior space and can cause more road noise, but most of todays RWD cars are for "Sport" more that "Comfort" anyway (even though some of them are comfortable and luxury cars).
Old 06-05-2003, 10:07 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Well, that and heavy rain.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by spta97
If anything, I think you would lose more power on a rear wheel drive with the same engine because the power is travelling over a longer distance.

The above point made about being harder to launch I think can partly be attributed to the weight of the car shifing rearward. On a rear wheel drive car that will plant the wheels more on the ground and give you more traction. That's why BMW only makes RWD and AWD on their vehicles.

I will say that the chance of you loosing traction in wet weather (without traction control) on a FWD car is far less than a RWD. I took my g/f's brothers G35 coupe for a spin in the rain and kicked out the back end on wet pavement WITH the traction control on!
3-series aren't rwd,however the 330xi is all wheel
Old 06-05-2003, 11:10 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ah "3-series"?? BMW 3-series?? Name ONE 3 series that ISN'T rwd.

Originally posted by gtbigup

Old 06-05-2003, 11:25 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Are you high? Please lay off the crack pipe BEFORE AND DURING POSTING HERE!!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:30 AM
jjs

Where did you get this idea from?
Old 06-05-2003, 12:30 PM

dont forget torque steering on fwd.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:31 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
dont forget torque steering on fwd.
Yeah, that really starts to suck after a while...
Old 06-05-2003, 01:27 PM

FWD: Cheaper (less axle/differential), Less power loss (less axle/differential), easier to drive (in daily driving situations). If you go into a skid, you simply point the wheels the way you wanna go and hit the gas; this is intuitive to most people, but RWD behavior is not intuitive.

RWD: Batter handling. Your wheels that are steering aren't also trying to move the car. Oversteer in RWD can be advantageous, where as understeer in FWD is down right dangerous.

Someone said something about weight distribution? That's BS; FWD cars have worse weight distribution because they are not designed to be sports cars. RWD generally are, so they work at 50/50 distribution. You'll never see a FWD mid-engine vehicle.

Also someone said something about braking? The front wheels take the brunt of the brake force regardless of drive wheels - that's just physics. There's no power applied to any of the wheels when braking, so what makes you think that has anything to do with it?
Old 06-05-2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Quicksilver

Well, some of this is true, and some is not. It's not going to necessarily be heavier, and it's not really that expensive to produce IF the car is designed from the outset as a RWD platform. It also does not have to be a more powerful engine to power a RWD car. It is more moving parts, but it's actually simpler by a long shot to work on and around the drivetrain components in a RWD car. It does take away interior space and can cause more road noise, but most of todays RWD cars are for &quot;Sport&quot; more that &quot;Comfort&quot; anyway (even though some of them are comfortable and luxury cars).
A RWD car is going to be heavier than a FWD car. There are a whole lot of parts and the chassis has to be a lot stronger to support the drivetrain, meaning it needs to be able to prevent the drivetrain from moving due to the vibration, and also it needs to prevent the vibrations from being sent in the passenger cabin. All that adds weight to the car. Every RWD car IS designed from the start to be a RWD car, except when they want to add the front differential for a AWD variant.
They don't have to put a powerful engine in a RWD car, but they do in general to take into account the usual 20%+ power loss compared to around 15% for FWD cars.
Let me put it this way i guess.... A manufacturer will not make a RWD car and sell it for around $10k-$15k. Maybe 10 years ago when cars didn't have nowhere near as much technology and research invested in it. With all the money they invest in developping that car, selling it for $15k would give them a profit that's not worth it.
Look at the miata for example, nice car don't get me wrong, but it's still a little bull**** car. Extremely lightweight, not powerful engine, RWD, the basic technology in cars today (AC, ABS, power everything), and it still sells close to 30K; Because a lot of research when into making that little bitty car.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:19 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by sorcereur

A RWD car is going to be heavier than a FWD car. There are a whole lot of parts and the chassis has to be a lot stronger to support the drivetrain, meaning it needs to be able to prevent the drivetrain from moving due to the vibration, and also it needs to prevent the vibrations from being sent in the passenger cabin. All that adds weight to the car. Every RWD car IS designed from the start to be a RWD car, except when they want to add the front differential for a AWD variant.
They don't have to put a powerful engine in a RWD car, but they do in general to take into account the usual 20%+ power loss compared to around 15% for FWD cars.
Let me put it this way i guess.... A manufacturer will not make a RWD car and sell it for around $10k-$15k. Maybe 10 years ago when cars didn't have nowhere near as much technology and research invested in it. With all the money they invest in developping that car, selling it for $15k would give them a profit that's not worth it.
Look at the miata for example, nice car don't get me wrong, but it's still a little bull**** car. Extremely lightweight, not powerful engine, RWD, the basic technology in cars today (AC, ABS, power everything), and it still sells close to 30K; Because a lot of research when into making that little bitty car.
Todays RWD cars lose 15% on average for manual and 20% for automatic (which are just rough estimates anyway), which is not very if any different than FWD cars. RWD cars are not always going to be heavier due to their "added" components in the RWD drivetrain. They will be of the same comparable weight as their FWD counterparts in the same competing class of cars/trucks. You haven't given us anything but conjecture and speculation to this point.

Case in point...

G35 vs. Maxima...which on weighs less? Which one handles better (this is going to be a stock to stock comparison)? Which one has better acceleration charastics? Which one has a stiffer/stronger chassis? Which one is more likely to acheive a higher top speed with the same basic engine?

And "if" there is the possibility of an AWD Maxima, are they going to change the entire frame of the car to compensate for the differential at the rear of the car (according to your idea/theroy, then theyhave a major redesign to do)? Are you saying that the '04 Maxima FWD vs. AWD will have significantly different chassis/frame on the same platform? What will they have to add?
Old 06-05-2003, 03:53 PM

Todays RWD cars lose 15% on average for manual and 20% for automatic (which are just rough estimates anyway), which is not very if any different than FWD cars. RWD cars are not always going to be heavier due to their &quot;added&quot; components in the RWD drivetrain. They will be of the same comparable weight as their FWD counterparts in the same competing class of cars/trucks. You haven't given us anything but conjecture and speculation to this point.

Case in point...

G35 vs. Maxima...which on weighs less? Which one handles better (this is going to be a stock to stock comparison)? Which one has better acceleration charastics? Which one has a stiffer/stronger chassis? Which one is more likely to acheive a higher top speed with the same basic engine?

And &quot;if&quot; there is the possibility of an AWD Maxima, are they going to change the entire frame of the car to compensate for the differential at the rear of the car (according to your idea/theroy, then theyhave a major redesign to do)? Are you saying that the '04 Maxima FWD vs. AWD will have significantly different chassis/frame on the same platform? What will they have to add?
First of all, I think you misunderstand me and think that i'm saying FWD is better. H E double toothpics NO that's not what i'm saying. I favor RWD by all means.

There is no way they can take a car that was meant to be a FWD car and put in a RWD differential to make it a AWD car. Except if they planned to do so already. The only cars that are FWD and have the AWD variant were intended to have an AWD variant from the get go. I haven't seen the bottom of the 6th gen, but rumor is that Nissan is considering a AWD version. If that's the case, then the car's frame was originally designed for that addition. Otherwise, why aren't people able to take out the FWD tranny off the 5th gen and put in the RWD tranny of the G35 or the pathfinder? Those use the VQ35 in a RWD setup so the tranny is a direct bolt on to the engine. How are they going to do that? Not with hopes and dreams....
Take the same 6th gen maxima for example, if they already plan on making it a AWD car in the future, the frame is already strong enough to support it. I bet you a 6th gen owner with good knowledge of cars (and i don't mean the magazine racer bull) can answer this question. Get under the car and look to see if there's already room for a RWD drivetrain. If there is, then a AWD variant WILL be released.
Look at all the Honda SUVs that are all over the darn place ( ). When you drive behind the base FWD model, you see an open cage in the back missing the RWD differential. But when you drive behind the AWD model, the RWD differential is there. The unique frame was designed from the beginning and all they're doing is adding the RWD differential.

But maybe you're right. I'm always learning something new.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:59 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I'll take some pics of a 6th Gen underside. It doesn't look promising to me, but maybe, just maybe they can cram something in there...
Old 06-06-2003, 07:06 AM

I'll take some pics of a 6th Gen underside. It doesn't look promising to me, but maybe, just maybe they can cram something in there...
Cool, let me know. I'd like to know.

But you do see what i was trying to say right?
Old 06-06-2003, 07:16 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Yeah man...I do see what you were trying to say now. Nothing like a good debate
Old 06-06-2003, 08:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

FYI. They took the European Ford Contour chassis and it's FWD configuration and made it into an awd platform on the newer Jag X-type. They kept the same transverse engine placement and made a new tranny that had an extra output shaft for the rear wheels.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:23 AM

2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc!!!
Old 06-06-2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by H.N.I.C.95

Beacuse 99% of the driving public is not as interested in driving 'performance' as we are... They mainly care about how their baby seat will fit, can it get the groceries in the trunk, and does it go 400+ miles on a tank of gas... All of that gives FWD the advantage, and thats why Accord and Camry sell over a million cars combined a year in this country. Because they are safe reliable BORING cars.

Sorry I will get off my soap box now.

That being said, even though I drive a FWD Maxima that I love, if I could afford the G35 coupe or 350z right now I would have one in a heartbeat...
Old 06-06-2003, 11:12 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

FYI. They took the European Ford Contour chassis and it's FWD configuration and made it into an awd platform on the newer Jag X-type. They kept the same transverse engine placement and made a new tranny that had an extra output shaft for the rear wheels.
The Mondeo is the car your talking about (European Contour)...but you can get an AWD Mondeo as well Depends on what country you live in...

IIRC, the Jag X-Type isn't even sold in Europe...(I might have made this up in a dream)
Old 06-06-2003, 12:15 PM
jjs

The Mondeo is the car your talking about (European Contour)...but you can get an AWD Mondeo as well Depends on what country you live in...

IIRC, the Jag X-Type isn't even sold in Europe...(I might have made this up in a dream)
Do you consider the UK to be Europe?

http://www.jaguar.com/uk/
Old 06-06-2003, 12:35 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by jjs

Do you consider the UK to be Europe?

http://www.jaguar.com/uk/
Nope, but I suppose they are geographically grouped with Europe for the most part. I tend to seperate them in my mind...
Old 06-06-2003, 12:37 PM
jjs

Nope, but I suppose they are geographically grouped with Europe for the most part. I tend to seperate them in my mind...
Gotcha...even still, France has them, Germany has them, etc.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:39 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Hmmm...I really thought the Mondeo and the X-Type weren't being sold in the same market since they're the same car. Oh well...like I said, I might have made that up one night while sleeping/dreaming...
Old 06-06-2003, 12:40 PM
jjs

Hmmm...I really thought the Mondeo and the X-Type weren't being sold in the same market since they're the same car. Oh well...like I said, I might have made that up one night while sleeping/dreaming...
No prob! Thought it curious myself, hence my looking into it!!