5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Max vs. Deer - No Winners

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 08:29 PM

Max vs. Deer - No Winners

Sorry if this is repeated, but I was experiencing some technical problems trying to post this before...

I was driving home from the airport a little after midnight last night on a four lane divided highway doing about 60 when a deer comes running out of the ditch. I swerve and avoid it, but I end up nailing a second deer that was following behind.

The impact instantaneously sent my hood up flat against the front windshield (just like you see with the in car cameras for NASCAR) and the airbags deployed. I couldn't see a thing except for my side windows. So I coast over to the side of the road and get out to see how bad everything looks. The windshield is all cracked. The hood is buckled all over and the radiator, A/C, fan motors, etc. are all messed up. Some damage to the left front quarter panel, too. The weirdest thing is that I didn't have a mark on me. Not even from the seatbelt.

I've only had my car for 2 months (only 1,800 miles). The sad thing is that these were my first paint chips

Initial damage estimates are at about $12K (about $3K for the headlights and airbags alone). Of course I'm not happy to have my car cracked up, but I'm really glad no one else was involved or hurt. I'm just really impressed with the car's safety performance.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:52 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

1800 miles? Damn that sucks, but at least you are okay.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:01 PM

I think I would still be

Were there any deer crossing signs? Is insurance gonna help?

Good to hear your okay though...
Old 06-12-2003, 09:02 PM

SInce ya hit something a lot lighter than the car, not much energy would get transfered to you, I guess that's why you had no injuries.

Aint it amazing though how much something like that can cost to fix!

The important thing is, you're ok.

I saw pics of a car where the deer came right in through the windshield, so it coulda been a lot worse.

I live in south east PA, I've been seeing nothing but dead deer along the blue route and NE extension on the TP. I guess this time of year brings 'em out.

If the body shop is good, I'm sure the car will be good as new once they are done. I just wen through this with my other car after a tractor trailer took out the entire dirver's side. Car looks great and it was all new metal. Good luck, I hope the fix goes smooth!
Old 06-12-2003, 09:35 PM

i feel ya

i had almost the exact same thing happen to me.

my car was 2 months old, i had about 2300 miles on it. i was coming home from school on the interstate going about 70 mph. i think i looked to check my blind spot as i changed lanes and when i looked back there were 2 deer right in front of me. i hit one of them before i had a chance to hit the breaks. air bags went out. the hood unlatched and flew up into the windshield. car full of airbaag smoke but i was perfectly alright. just a little angry.

here are some pictures. sounds like we had the same amount of damage except my windshield survived. everything in the front of the engine bay was destroyed. both fender panels had to be replaced. new headlights because the housings snapped. the total came out to be $11,835.41 just for your reference.

but the good news is the car is as good as new and its like it never happened. even 10,000 miles later its still perfect.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:18 PM
tEh Hope

g0dd@mn deers... all they do is spread diseases and cause accidents... what ever happened to bait and shoot.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow.. what a tramatizing experience...
Old 06-13-2003, 06:32 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by Maxxxed
g0dd@mn deers... all they do is spread diseases and cause accidents... what ever happened to bait and shoot.
Its a living and breathing animal, just like a human is....

it's real funny how ppl like to hunt animals...my philosophy is I'd rather hunt a human than an animal...humans do alot more harm than an animal ever can do...

how bout u strap on a fluorescent orange vest with a big "bullseye" on the back and run through the woods, let's see what happens...

Old 06-13-2003, 06:59 AM

I friend of mine that I grew up with in Chicago was kill by a deer. He had just got the job he had wanted and bought a house and a Harley. He was driving home on the Harley and a buck ran out of the brush and ran in to him broad side killing both instantly.

To be honest thats one of the reasons I like the HID's and Bright hi beams. You can see so much farther down the road.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:02 AM

Holy crap man. Thank god I live in Queens, where the biggest thing I can hit is a dog or a raccoon. My brother hit a deer once while driving from upstate in our van. Let me restate that, the deer hit the side of the van. Ran right up into that. The damage was not that bad, the front door had to be replaced and the paint had to be cleaned of deer guts and brain matter.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:07 AM

Sorry about the car. Good thing you're ok.

What's with the hostility towards animals? We destroy their environment and put roads through their path, and its their fault for crossing it. Geez.....
Old 06-13-2003, 07:08 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

it's real funny how ppl like to hunt animals...my philosophy is I'd rather hunt a human than an animal...humans do alot more harm than an animal ever can do...

how bout u strap on a fluorescent orange vest with a big "bullseye" on the back and run through the woods, let's see what happens...
tree hugger
Old 06-13-2003, 07:17 AM

Yep, I couldn't agree more. Human's are like a virus to this planet. Now granted, it's not going to stop me from driving around polluting with my exhaust pipe but I do what I can (recycle) and will avoid hitting an animal as best I can.

People who hunt are just dirt sacks. Hmmmm....going into the woods and shooting a defenseless deer at over 100 yards makes you feel like a man? I can understand if they truly need the food or to make clothing, but hunting for sport is a real b!tch thing to do. If you want to be tough, take on a deer with your bear hands...you'll lose.

As bad as I feel for the starter of this thread, just think about how the deer felt? At least your car can be fixed and you were not hurt.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by spta97

Yep, I couldn't agree more. Human's are like a virus to this planet. Now granted, it's not going to stop me from driving around polluting with my exhaust pipe but I do what I can (recycle) and will avoid hitting an animal as best I can.

People who hunt are just dirt sacks. Hmmmm....going into the woods and shooting a defenseless deer at over 100 yards makes you feel like a man? I can understand if they truly need the food or to make clothing, but hunting for sport is a real b!tch thing to do. If you want to be tough, take on a deer with your bear hands...you'll lose.

As bad as I feel for the starter of this thread, just think about how the deer felt? At least your car can be fixed and you were not hurt.
True, true
Old 06-13-2003, 07:30 AM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by spta97

People who hunt deer are dirt sacks? That is just retarded to say something like that. Deer hunting is an absolute necessity. If deer weren't hunted they would be everywhere. They're like rats. They will just keep breeding and breeding. There natural predators have been eliminated so they have no competition and thus, it is necessary to control the population. I myself do not hunt, but I have no doubt that the killing of deer is a necessary evil. 50% of my cars have been wrecked by deer!

So, if you have mice in your house, do you put down mousetraps or do you just kindly ask them to leave?
Old 06-13-2003, 07:36 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by Bluebird
So, if you have mice in your house, do you put down mousetraps or do you just kindly ask them to leave?
what does this have to do with the price of tea in China??

surely, the slightest bit of common sense would dictate that mice in your home does not stem from food being left out...you surely have foundation problems, leaks, holes,etc....

to compare that to hunting is plain ignorance....

Old 06-13-2003, 07:36 AM

People who hunt deer are dirt sacks? That is just retarded to say something like that. Deer hunting is an absolute necessity. If deer weren't hunted they would be everywhere. They're like rats. They will just keep breeding and breeding. There natural predators have been eliminated so they have no competition and thus, it is necessary to control the population. I myself do not hunt, but I have no doubt that the killing of deer is a necessary evil. 50% of my cars have been wrecked by deer!

First, Id ask them to leave. If they don't.... I'd have to

Old 06-13-2003, 07:38 AM
wat

Exactly, its called population control, you gotta rid of some animals, or theyd all be everywhere, destroying property, etc. Usually I could careless if i see an animal in my yard or if i see an insect in my house... but when it comes to those big hairy spiders.. I trap them, and throw them in the microwave. That'll show them not to come in my houe anymore
Old 06-13-2003, 07:45 AM

Someone made a good point regarding deer's natural predators being extinct. So now, we must keep the deer population in check. God knows we did a great job keeping their predators in check.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:45 AM
I am Roid Rage

what does this have to do with the price of tea in China??

surely, the slightest bit of common sense would dictate that mice in your home does not stem from food being left out...you surely have foundation problems, leaks, holes,etc....

to compare that to hunting is plain ignorance....
I'm not even going to to try to explain it. It was a very simple analogy that other people caught on to with no problems. The word ignorance should never even come out of your mouth unless it is used in a mannner of self description.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:48 AM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by BlueC
Exactly, its called population control, you gotta rid of some animals, or theyd all be everywhere, destroying property, etc. Usually I could careless if i see an animal in my yard or if i see an insect in my house... but when it comes to those big hairy spiders.. I trap them, and throw them in the microwave. That'll show them not to come in my houe anymore

Do you seriously put them in the microwave? If so, that's f'ing hilarious.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:51 AM
wat

Do you seriously put them in the microwave? If so, that's f'ing hilarious.
They scare the **** outta me, im afraid that if I try to stomp it to death, it'l get away and then I'll be paranoid its in my house for a week. So I trap them with a cup, scoop them up and chuck them into the microwave.... You'd really have to see it in person, cause its funny as hell. I set my microwave to "Popcorn" and watch it fry. At first it just sits there, but after 5 seconds it runs around like crazy, then crumples up and dies. Quick and easy death
Old 06-13-2003, 07:52 AM
NT2SHBBY

I'm not even going to to try to explain it. It was a very simple analogy that other people caught on to with no problems. The word ignorance should never even come out of your mouth unless it is used in a mannner of self description.

ok there chief...I'll remember that Mr. Safety Consultant...

Old 06-13-2003, 07:54 AM
I am Roid Rage

ok there chief...I'll remember that Mr. Safety Consultant...

You have a problem with Homer Simpson's profession?
Old 06-13-2003, 07:56 AM

My .02 and I do not hunt.
Deer have no natural, or very few, threats. Yes we caused this but unfortunately we can't turn back the clock. Given that there are no wolves, bobcat, mountain loin, or other animal (other than us) at the top of the food chain the deer populations in the eastern U.S. are going through the roof. And when I say east I mean east of the Rockies. States Like IL the have little or no hunting season have it the worst. Populations go unchecked and that’s not good either. While I don't see the point of hunting for sport there are a lot of people the hunt deer for food. But not enough.
When it comes to endangered animals or anyone the kills to put a head on the wall I'm right with the "tree huggers" but when it comes to deer if there isn't enough people kill for food then that only leaves sport...
With deer populations doing nothing but going up these accidents and other problems will continue to rise right alone with them.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:56 AM

This has gotten a bit off topic, but interesting none the less.

Just to add, a friend of mine discovered through his many hijinks that it is possible to freeze a wasp, re-heat it, freeze it and then reheat it several times. Tough little things...

Of course, they didn't survive the microwave either.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2 things.
Why do people always insults others personnaly when expressing oneself.

Also, God forbid that i hit a deer one day, but if i do, i'll put him in trunk, take him home and cook him. Deer meat is delicious. That might ease the anger a bit too. Why let all that meat go to waste on the side of the road while making the entire neighboorhood stink?
Old 06-13-2003, 08:00 AM
wat

Originally posted by maxxximus
This has gotten a bit off topic, but interesting none the less.

Just to add, a friend of mine discovered through his many hijinks that it is possible to freeze a wasp, re-heat it, freeze it and then reheat it several times. Tough little things...

Of course, they didn't survive the microwave either.
thats crazy. I hate wasps, id just spray them with windex, and them smash them with a folder or somethin... Microwave ownz all! (Even my chinese take-out box, which I didnt notice, had a metal wire in it.... last time I re-heat chinese food)
Old 06-13-2003, 08:01 AM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by maximaman777
My .02 and I do not hunt.
Deer have no natural, or very few, threats. Yes we caused this but unfortunately we can't turn back the clock. Given that there are no wolves, bobcat, mountain loin, or other animal (other than us) at the top of the food chain the deer populations in the eastern U.S. are going through the roof. And when I say east I mean east of the Rockies. States Like IL the have little or no hunting season have it the worst. Populations go unchecked and that’s not good either. While I don't see the point of hunting for sport there are a lot of people the hunt deer for food. But not enough.
When it comes to endangered animals or anyone the kills to put a head on the wall I'm right with the "tree huggers" but when it comes to deer if there isn't enough people kill for food then that only leaves sport...
With deer populations doing nothing but going up these accidents and other problems will continue to rise right alone with them.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:02 AM

If it weren't for hunting the deer population would be much much worse. You anti-hunters should rethink your position. You should go out and thank hunters for what they do! I declare it national 'Hug a Hunter' day! Oh wait, maybe that's not such a good idea (walking up to a guy with a rifle and tryng to hug him...probably not a good idea).

Seriously though, we pretty much eliminated coyotes, mountain lions and wolves in the past 100-200 years by encroaching on their habitat and killing them off for our safety and the safety of our domestic animals. In hindsight it was a really stupid thing to do but it cannot be undone (at least not overnight) so how do you (anti-hunters) propose we keep the deer population in check? Let them multiply with no attempt at population control? Do you have any idea what their fate would be if we did that? Most would starve to death or die of disease. Personally, I'd rather take a bullet in the head than starve to death, given the option. There would also be more deer on the roads and more traffic accidents.

I am not a hunter, but this is a real problem and the only solution I see is to let people hunt these animals.

BTW-Did you know that most of the money the forest service has in their budget comes from hunting license fees and deer tags?
Old 06-13-2003, 08:08 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Jules Maximus
In hindsight it was a really stupid thing to do but it cannot be undone (at least not overnight) so how do you (anti-hunters) propose we keep the deer population in check? Let them multiply with no attempt at population control? Do you have any idea what their fate would be if we did that? Most would starve to death or die of disease. Personally, I'd rather take a bullet in the head than starve to death, given the option.
VERY INTERESTING!!! Same could be said of humans!! Since we are effectively out stripping our environment and living space, diseased, hungry, and breeding like bacteria...looks like humans could use some population control as well. Let the season begin!!
Old 06-13-2003, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by Jules Maximus
If it weren't for hunting the deer population would be much much worse. You anti-hunters should rethink your position. You should go out and thank hunters for what they do! I declare it national 'Hug a Hunter' day! Oh wait, maybe that's not such a good idea (walking up to a guy with a rifle and tryng to hug him...probably not a good idea).

Seriously though, we pretty much eliminated coyotes, mountain lions and wolves in the past 100-200 years by encroaching on their habitat and killing them off for our safety and the safety of our domestic animals. In hindsight it was a really stupid thing to do but it cannot be undone (at least not overnight) so how do you (anti-hunters) propose we keep the deer population in check? Let them multiply with no attempt at population control? Do you have any idea what their fate would be if we did that? Most would starve to death or die of disease. Personally, I'd rather take a bullet in the head than starve to death, given the option. There would also be more deer on the roads and more traffic accidents.

I am not a hunter, but this is a real problem and the only solution I see is to let people hunt these animals.

BTW-Did you know that most of the money the forest service has in their budget comes from hunting license fees and deer tags?

Craiky mate... take a breather. Almost passed out reading your point.

Good point though... I think
Old 06-13-2003, 08:23 AM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by jjs

VERY INTERESTING!!! Same could be said of humans!! Since we are effectively out stripping our environment and living space, diseased, hungry, and breeding like bacteria...looks like humans could use some population control as well. Let the season begin!!
As sarcastic and humorous as your post is, it actually has some truth to it
Old 06-13-2003, 08:24 AM

True, but I think you would have a hard time pushing some type of population control on the masses. It is a completely different problem.

It isn't the deer fault for this but it is a problem that we created and if we don't do something about it it will only get worse and create a bigger problem. Hunters are not part of the problem, they are part of the solution.

Sorry for the long rant.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:24 AM

Yea this has gotten out there but the more I think about it the more people that are so anti-hunting **** ME OFF. If it weren't for people like Franklin, Edison, Tesla, Einstein, Firmi(?) and others we'd have half the people in the world that we have today and most of them would be hunters or starving. You talk like we are so advanced, we're only 110yrs out of the dark ages. We have only been on this planet a speck of dust in time. Yes we've done some damage but no more than Many natural disasters through out time have. Did we get out of control the 1st 50-75yrs of the last century? Well ya we did. Are we doing things to try and correct it? Yes we are. Just remember the next time you have any meat that someone killed what you are eating and if it weren't for that you'd be hungry.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by maximaman777
Yes we've done some damage but no more than Many natural disasters through out time have.
You may want to rethink that statement. I'm not a "tree hugger" by any means, but humans have been the catastrophe this planet has not seen before, unless you're talking about the asteroid belt that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Humans are wiping out most of the natural resources, and it's going to take scientific breakthroughs to slow down the inevitable. To talk about animals, there have been hundreds of different species that have been obliterated, and do not exist. For example, just think of Tigers--most of the different species are extinct, and the ones that are still around, are either in the zoos or closely watched by scientists to make sure nothing happens to them.

I agree that hunting deer is a necessity in order to control their population, but as already mentioned, this is our own wrongdoing. We've eliminated their natural predator, and now we're left w/fixing our own mistakes.

Someone said something about keeping the human population under control. Well, although that's not possible nor desired by most people, nature has its own way of doing this. When you hear about West Nile virus, Ebola, Hunta virus, AIDS, etc etc, this is nature's way of keeping US in check. Since we have no natural predator, microscopic organisms is and will keep the population in check.

It's ironic that SARS broke out in China, which is SEVERELY overpopulated. Just something to think about.

disclaimer: I don't condone people dying of SARS in China, but we're talking about this in "natural" terms, so everyone keep an open mind.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:34 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I don't hunt to kill, just like any other hunter doesn't hunt to kill. We hunt for the meat and the communion of nature when you're out there in the wild doing your thing. The problem is this...there are hunters, and then there are poachers/shooters. Hunters are completely ethical and use everything they can from what they kill. Poachers/shooters pretty much kill for horns or just to shoot living things(except the rare cases when someone actually needs to kill deer b/c they are too poor to even buy regular meat/food). I am a hunter, and do not like to be associated with the idiots in the other catagorey whatsoever. The "idiots" do not care about the hunter/sportsman image since they are selfish and not really connected to what hunting is all about. Does this help you guys/gals out?
Old 06-13-2003, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Quicksilver
I don't hunt to kill, just like any other hunter doesn't hunt to kill. We hunt for the meat and the communion of nature when you're out there in the wild doing your thing. The problem is this...there are hunters, and then there are poachers/shooters. Hunters are completely ethical and use everything they can from what they kill. Poachers/shooters pretty much kill for horns or just to shoot living things(except the rare cases when someone actually needs to kill deer b/c they are too poor to even buy regular meat/food). I am a hunter, and do not like to be associated with the idiots in the other catagorey whatsoever. The "idiots" do not care about the hunter/sportsman image since they are selfish and not really connected to what hunting is all about. Does this help you guys/gals out?
Not to get on your case, but I'm a bit confused.
First problem... "I don't hunt to kill". I'll leave it at that.
Second, I understand the difference between hunter and poacher. But following, you say hunter/sportsman. Usually hunters hunt for need, and sportsman for sport. Two very different reasons for "killing", yet sportsman is not in the "other" category?
Old 06-13-2003, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by vito1281

You may want to rethink that statement. I'm not a "tree hugger" by any means, but humans have been the catastrophe this planet has not seen before, unless you're talking about the asteroid belt that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Humans are wiping out most of the natural resources, and it's going to take scientific breakthroughs to slow down the inevitable. To talk about animals, there have been hundreds of different species that have been obliterated, and do not exist. For example, just think of Tigers--most of the different species are extinct, and the ones that are still around, are either in the zoos or closely watched by scientists to make sure nothing happens to them.

I agree that hunting deer is a necessity in order to control their population, but as already mentioned, this is our own wrongdoing. We've eliminated their natural predator, and now we're left w/fixing our own mistakes.

Someone said something about keeping the human population under control. Well, although that's not possible nor desired by most people, nature has its own way of doing this. When you hear about West Nile virus, Ebola, Hunta virus, AIDS, etc etc, this is nature's way of keeping US in check. Since we have no natural predator, microscopic organisms is and will keep the population in check.

It's ironic that SARS broke out in China, which is SEVERELY overpopulated. Just something to think about.

disclaimer: I don't condone people dying of SARS in China, but we're talking about this in "natural" terms, so everyone keep an open mind.
Population control. EVERY species needs it, especially us
Looking at humans as animals the only thing we have to do this is viruses. With us there is no thinning of the herd, this statement is not based on race, the weak are allowed to breed. In all the parts of the world this is the case. In the wild the weak either die from disease or are to slow and get eaten and the strong mate, this keeps the herd healthy. (Except for deer in the U.S.)

Don't get me wrong we have killed off some very important species and it's really a shame. Though through out time millions species of have been extinct not by our hand. Yes we need to do what we can to slow down our impact to this planet but there isn't a lot we can do here about the poor uneducated peasant in India that kills a tiger because he's scared of it.

The best way to help people is to educate them, starting with the young. It's hard to change people when their older but we can have a great affect on the young. That is what will make the difference.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:10 AM

I think most people who consider themselves sportman hunters do hunt for the trophies but they also use the meat. Many people who hunt for sport give the meat to needy families and such if they don't use it themselves.

I think what Quicksilver meant is that he doesn't hunt just for the purpose of killing something. That is the ultimate outcome but people who hunt just for the thrill of killing something often just leave the carcass to rot or be picked apart by scavengers.

Poachers hunt out of season, without a license and often pay little or no attention to the laws. These people are generally a menace and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I'm sure there are rare cases of people who poach out of need but if they are only taking what they need I doubt they are creating much of a problem.

Quick Reply: Max vs. Deer - No Winners