5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Max vs. Deer - No Winners

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 09:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by scorpiao

Not to get on your case, but I'm a bit confused.
First problem... "I don't hunt to kill". I'll leave it at that.
Second, I understand the difference between hunter and poacher. But following, you say hunter/sportsman. Usually hunters hunt for need, and sportsman for sport. Two very different reasons for "killing", yet sportsman is not in the "other" category?
Most Sportsmen hunt for sport and eat the kill. They won't die of starvation if they don't hunt but will save money and eat very lean tasty meat when they do.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by maximaman777

Population control. EVERY species needs it, especially us
Looking at humans as animals the only thing we have to do this is viruses. With us there is no thinning of the herd, this statement is not based on race, the weak are allowed to breed. In all the parts of the world this is the case. In the wild the weak either die from disease or are to slow and get eaten and the strong mate, this keeps the herd healthy. (Except for deer in the U.S.)

Don't get me wrong we have killed off some very important species and it's really a shame. Though through out time millions species of have been extinct not by our hand. Yes we need to do what we can to slow down our impact to this planet but there isn't a lot we can do here about the poor uneducated peasant in India that kills a tiger because he's scared of it.

The best way to help people is to educate them, starting with the young. It's hard to change people when their older but we can have a great affect on the young. That is what will make the difference.
I agree with you on these statements, but I just wanted to point out that, IMHO, we've had a disastrous impact on the planet as a specie.

Problem with Tigers was that they were hunted not because people were scared of them, but for their fur, fangs, and believe it or not, their *********. The ********* are used to produce herbal Chinese medicine, and there's a HUGE black market for those goods over in Asia. The termination of them was done mostly by poachers, looking to make bucks at these markets. It's truly a shame, as I personally find this a magnificent animal (my "favorite" animal, if you want to put it like that...)
Old 06-13-2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by vito1281

I agree with you on these statements, but I just wanted to point out that, IMHO, we've had a disastrous impact on the planet as a specie.

Problem with Tigers was that they were hunted not because people were scared of them, but for their fur, fangs, and believe it or not, their *********. The ********* are used to produce herbal Chinese medicine, and there's a HUGE black market for those goods over in Asia. The termination of them was done mostly by poachers, looking to make bucks at these markets. It's truly a shame, as I personally find this a magnificent animal (my "favorite" animal, if you want to put it like that...)
Yes we have left a bad mark on the planet and are continuing to do so. But I go back to education. Once poeple know that skark fins, rhino horn, tiger *****, and the like does nothing for them the demand will go down. If the demand goes down so will the rate of killing these beautiful animals. In the mean time I say we hunt the poachers and shoot them while they hunt these animals. Then we can have the best of both worlds, Population control at the best level
Old 06-13-2003, 09:32 AM
jjs

In the mean time I say we hunt the poachers and shoot them while they hunt these animals. Then we can have the best of both worlds, Population control at the best level
YEAH!!!!! Oh, how true!!! Hunters/poachers are nothing but a bunch of pansy-@ss, moronic, hypocrites!! Manly 'sport'?? Oh please!!!

Fake calls, high powered rifles/bows, camo, pheromones, etc.! Real challenge there!

Yeah, let's make it a true man's sport...arm the animals and have them shoot back!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Banned

Yes we have left a bad mark on the planet and are continuing to do so. But I go back to education. Once poeple know that skark fins, rhino horn, tiger *****, and the like does nothing for them the demand will go down. If the demand goes down so will the rate of killing these beautiful animals. In the mean time I say we hunt the poachers and shoot them while they hunt these animals. Then we can have the best of both worlds, Population control at the best level
Honestly, I don't think the demand will ever go down. The demand for the aforementioned will subside eventually, but there will always be dumbasses who will try to push a "new, natural" product, and then people, being the gullable masses that they are, will demand those products.

I just think it's a vicious cycle that will never truly end, unfortunately. That being said, I say we all come to terms with the way life is, and just deal with it!
Old 06-13-2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by jjs

YEAH!!!!! Oh, how true!!! Hunters are nothing but a bunch of pansy-@ss, moronic, hypocrites!! Manly 'sport'?? Oh please!!! Yeah, let's make it a true man's sport...arm the deer and have them shoot back!!!
Dude where are you coming from. I'm not talking about the dream world where animals could fire back. What I'm saying is if I had a poacher in my scope and a .30-06 shell in the chamber before he shot the tiger I'd shoot him!
Old 06-13-2003, 09:55 AM
Banned

Dude where are you coming from. I'm not talking about the dream world where animals could fire back. What I'm saying is if I had a poacher in my scope and a .30-06 shell in the chamber before he shot the tiger I'd shoot him!
Adam, I think jjs was actually agreeing w/you about hunting the poachers and the "sport" hunters!
Old 06-13-2003, 11:21 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by scorpiao

Not to get on your case, but I'm a bit confused.
First problem... "I don't hunt to kill". I'll leave it at that.
Second, I understand the difference between hunter and poacher. But following, you say hunter/sportsman. Usually hunters hunt for need, and sportsman for sport. Two very different reasons for "killing", yet sportsman is not in the "other" category?
I do not hunt anything just to hunt it and kill it. Does that clarify it enough for you? I make use of everything I can from what I kill, most especially the meat .

Hunters/Sportsmen are the same basic thing, but perhaps with different goals. Sportsmen don't go out an hunt for food singularly, although they do usually eat what they kill. Sportsmen hunt for racks (horns), but are very selective about how they determine which animal to "harvest". You don't go out and kill all the 1-2 year old bucks b/c nothing will ever make it to 5-8 years old. You also have to know how many does to "harvest" from a particular area to get the optimal safe "living conditions" for the entire regional deer populace. Man, I could go on for days on this subject, but in the end, let me just say that true sportsmen are good hunters, but not all hunters are in the "sportsman" class. If you know your stuff and know the area you're hunting very well, then you'll know which ones to shoot, and which ones to pass up. It's really a science...
Old 06-13-2003, 04:31 PM

Could be worse...

You could be this guy...

Old 06-13-2003, 04:47 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

WTF happened in that picture? Story...story...
Old 06-13-2003, 07:01 PM

Re: Could be worse...

Originally posted by Pir8 97
You could be this guy...

I agree and that ties back to my post that started this whole thread. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if the deer came through my windshield. In the last couple of days, people have told me some terrible stories about car/deer accidents that would make your stomach churn.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:22 PM

Re: Re: Could be worse...

Originally posted by ducats

I agree and that ties back to my post that started this whole thread. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if the deer came through my windshield. In the last couple of days, people have told me some terrible stories about car/deer accidents that would make your stomach churn.
Makes me remember what my driver's ed teacher told us oh, so many years ago: "If you've got no chance to avoid the large animal, you should never jam the brakes. Always floor the gas to lift the nose as high as possible. Less chance of ending up with the hooved animal inside of the car kicking your head clean off as it dies!"

Not sure if they do it anymore, but when I was in high school, they actually showed pictures of traffic accidents and the resultant injuries - really gruesome stuff. Who said scare tactics don't work!
Old 06-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Banned

What I was taught at driver's ed is to turn off your lights completely if you see a deer ahead of you. Then quickly turn them back on, and theoretically, the deer won't be there anymore.

Apparently they get "tunnel vision" when looking straight into headlights, so high beaming, for example, won't do anything. If you have the time, flicker your lights off and then on again, and it may save your car/life.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:22 PM

Is that a horse?!

To get back on topic, sorry to hear about the car. I would be so bummed if my car get fuxored like that and it was only 2 weeks old.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by vito1281

Adam, I think jjs was actually agreeing w/you about hunting the poachers and the "sport" hunters!
How about gladiator style? Man vs beast. No guns. Maybe a knive, but nothing else. See how they do then.

And in regards to the black market, the demand will never go down. Some of those products have been in use for hundreds of years. It just wasn't known throughout the world.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:03 AM

daaaaaamn...your car is fuked up...
Atlest it didn't go through the windshield.
I hit on at the beginning of fall and it just went right over my car and dented my hood...but your car looks like your hit a fukin 400 pound man
atleast your alright