5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Are We Too Negative?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2001, 05:17 AM
timmyl

Hi All,

I'm a 1st time Maxima owner and I absolutely love my Maxima (prior cars Jetta, Altima). I've had relatively few problems (other than it gets dirty) with a fantastic ride, great power, and a breathtaking design. Plus, I bought my 2K used and got a great price.

I know I sound like a kiss-***, but this forum is just getting so darned -ve. Everything seemd to be doom and gloom here. Any nice stories about your Max, other than kills?

Looking for a silver lining,

Old 01-29-2001, 08:58 AM

plenty!

I like how the sound system sounds like. I like driving with my windows down and the sunroof opened with loud music during the summer. I like how the car handles. I like how the car rides. I like how smooth the transmission is shifting. I like the power when you punch it. I like how grabby the brakes are. I like how the headlights shine up the road. I like how the supple leather seats feel. I like how the wood trim looks. I like the heated seats. I like the automatic climate control. I like the Traction Control. I like slip-folding rear seats. I like how "BOSE" is on the rear deck speaker. I like how the gauges light up. I like the "slip" light. I like how the engine bay looks like. I like the design of the interior. I like how people look at my car in the parking lot or when I drive on the road. I like the comments people give me about the car. Most of all I LOVE HOW THE CAR LOOKS LIKE ON THE OUTSIDE!
Old 01-29-2001, 09:06 AM

Half of my complaints are my fault... I got a base SE in auto. I wanted stick. I didn't get sunroof or leather which I now want. If I had waited and got the complete car I wanted I would have very few complaints. Wouldn't be replacing my tranny at 13k miles. Maybe we are a bit negative. But if we pay 25k for a car... it shouldn't have all these flaws. Oh well.. got off the theme of this thread.
Old 01-29-2001, 09:23 AM

Well it depends...

I liken it to the old saying..."walk a mile in my shoes"

I say say drive that mile in my car

Obviously not all Maxs are exhibiting the same problems...just the unlucky ones like myself that got their cars put together with whatever was left in the parts box.

Negative..maybe...but with awfully good reason..........
Old 01-29-2001, 09:37 AM

With a car this price, ECU, transmition, sunroof motor (very early runs), wind noise, contacting trunk / bumper, hanging throtle, warping rotor stuff should not happen. Some of this stuff should not be expected on any car.

I personally have the contacting trunk and the wind noise problem. The wind noise may just be as designed.

We all know that if we take our cars in to trade up the dealer will know the problems and we will hit with the cost to repair it, even if it's a known problem.

But am I not aware of any of these problems while I walk up to my car, get in, start, drive, park or walk away from it... all my problems are lost to the world.

Old 01-29-2001, 10:25 AM

negative?

It's kinda sucks that this being my first new car that I love it and I hate it but at different times. 98% of the time I am thrilled to get in and drive it, to wash it's smooth lines, and I even love the tedious work like lexoling the leather seats and scrubbing the door jams with a toothbrush.

The other 2% was just fixed last week so now I have no complaints whatsoever. Maxima's are one of the best cars on the road...

on another note - I just saw the most recent road and track and in the back they have the 0-60 times and for a 2000se they tested they have 7.8 0-60 and top speed of 131...what's up with that?
Old 01-29-2001, 11:19 AM

Re: negative?

Originally posted by jlcpgord
on another note - I just saw the most recent road and track and in the back they have the 0-60 times and for a 2000se they tested they have 7.8 0-60 and top speed of 131...what's up with that?
Sounds like it was an auto.
Old 01-29-2001, 11:22 AM

Yet another reason not to get an auto. To boot, that 131 top speed is regulated.

Many of us manual drivers can confirm that the real top speed of a max is higher than 131.

Old 01-29-2001, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by bert
Yet another reason not to get an auto. To boot, that 131 top speed is regulated.

Many of us manual drivers can confirm that the real top speed of a max is higher than 131.

I've been 136 in 4th at redline , and 140 in 5th. I also noticed the Auto takes a while to get up in the speed too I mean after 100mph. I rented a GXE and looked like after a 100 it took a little while for that baby to climb. I was but slowly.
Old 01-29-2001, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by PIONEER
Originally posted by bert

I've been 136 in 4th at redline , and 140 in 5th. I also noticed the Auto takes a while to get up in the speed too I mean after 100mph. I rented a GXE and looked like after a 100 it took a little while for that baby to climb. I was but slowly.
Now now, no need to brag. I've had mine up to 110 and it got there decently fast for me.
Old 01-30-2001, 02:45 PM

We are getting off the subject of this thread, but I love to open up my 2001 SE automatic. My car has no problem accelerating above 100. I have hit 122 very quickly before I ran out of real estate. The car still had plenty of juice. Is the SE set up differently than the GXE or GLE? Sure, I wanted a 5 speed, but I couldn't wait 'til one came in the way I wanted it.

Back to the subject, I love everything about my car, but I have not had a single problem (knock on wood). I expect Jap cars to have great reliability and low maintenance since I've always owned Toyota and Hondas. If I had the problems that some have had, I would be pretty upset too.