5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My Max is in critical condition.......HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 10:20 PM

My Max is in critical condition.......HELP!!!!

My max started to make some noises and I didn't think it was anything importent until today, one day I hit this lady's car from the behind. She floored her brake and at same time I floored my brake but my shoe were kinda wide so it hit the gas pedal at same time so my car moved forward gently and ended up hitting the this lady's car in front of me.....and here's the problem occured, I hear this noise everytime when I drive my car, it sounds like when I step on gas it make this rattling noises at same time only when my car is starting to move not when it's parked. First I did't think it would be anything importent until today I took my car for Tune up and the mechanic called me and told me "Hey ur cars in critical conditions" he told me my pulley is bent and my powersteering pump is bent up badly. I freakin hav no idea how that happend.....he also advise me not to drive my car unless I hav to......it could lead to blow my engine........it's really stressin me out......
Old 06-13-2003, 10:41 PM

from a tap????
i didn't even know the pulleys were in the front. i thought they were all on the passenger's side of the engine. power steering pump..... i don't know. but i can't imagine it being in front of the radiator.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:43 PM

mechanic did told me that it is not from the tap......
Old 06-13-2003, 10:46 PM

Weird... the power steering pump is located on the back side of the engine on the passenger's side. As for the pulley being bent, that sounds strange too. Is the radiator frame damaged? Because if it, nor the headlight, nor the passenger's side panel is damaged, then I can't see how the pulley got damaged.

Look on the underside of the car. Is it possible that one of the plastic water sheilds got bent up a little and is hitting something (like a pulley or the wheel)? Maybe it's something under the car that is causing the noise.

Now... just to be safe, take the car to a local body shop and have them give you a free estimate. Tell/show them the noise and see what they say. It beats paying a mechanic to tell you where to look for the problem, and they see things that most people don't.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thats Bull, how the hell can the powersteering pulley be bent, its in the back. There is no way you could possibly bend that damn thing, even if the car rolls the pulley will still be fine (just an example) I think hes just trying to make some $$ from you. If you have installed the SC already then my only possible guess would be its from the SC putting extra force on the pulley but thats about the only possibility. Weird **** man, really weird.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:44 AM

I suppose to go to NE Meet today and I got all the bolt ons on my car and all ready and all and now I heard these problems and I'm scare to drive my car......mechanic told me there's a risk of my engine blowing up.....cuz of the crankshaft pulley(aka Under Drive Pulley) is bent up too and it's not rotating properly.....
Old 06-14-2003, 05:48 AM
NT2SHBBY

This is EXACTLY why I refuse to do major mods to my new car.....I have 5 years worth of payments and I ain't tryin to *** with my car's reliability......

Let's see...hmmm....has ANYONE on this board or anywhere SC'd or turboed their car and actually kept the Nissan reliability we all have come to know and love???

I doubt it....

Makin me think twice about Nitrous....

Old 06-14-2003, 06:42 AM

I would definately try to get a second opinion. Doesn't sound like the damage is related to the accident. Some mechanics know how much we like our cars from what we do to it, and know we'd pay almost anything to keep it tight, so they try to take advantage.

Good luck
Old 06-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Jer

3 years, over 70k miles, over 25k of that supercharged, on an AUTOMATIC, and the only complains I have are hte coils that were toast when the car was only 1 year old (less than 30k), and the o2 sensor which was recently replaced (under warranty - this with the s/c and y-pipe still bolted on).

My car still gets me where I want to go, and I still drive it like I stole it, nuff said

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
This is EXACTLY why I refuse to do major mods to my new car.....I have 5 years worth of payments and I ain't tryin to *** with my car's reliability......

Let's see...hmmm....has ANYONE on this board or anywhere SC'd or turboed their car and actually kept the Nissan reliability we all have come to know and love???

I doubt it....

Old 06-14-2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Woo Cho
I suppose to go to NE Meet today and I got all the bolt ons on my car and all ready and all and now I heard these problems and I'm scare to drive my car......mechanic told me there's a risk of my engine blowing up.....cuz of the crankshaft pulley(aka Under Drive Pulley) is bent up too and it's not rotating properly.....
Hold on, first of all do you, or do you not have the S/C installed. If you do first of all why do you have the UDP in? That is just gonna cause the blower to spin slower and not give you enough boost. Get the OE pulley back in there and get the other pulleys replaced. I dont think the s/c throws enough force on the pulleys to cause any problems til you go to the 2.87 pulley which I belive is 11 or 12 psi. Anymore and the blower will be overspun so the 2.62 should not be used with the V2 blower. More info needed...

NT2SHBBY: Your correct to a point, and about the nitrous I see is as this, the turbo and s/c is allways on and allways putting pressure on the motor. The nitrous will only be on when you want/need it to be on so as long as its perfectly tuned you'll have more power then you need and hold on to more relaiblilty then boosted motors. If anything goes wrong, your still under warranty, just yank it off and go to the dealer.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:55 AM

i am pretty sure that supercharger is worse to the engine then a turbocharger. i dont like superchargers and you get more power from a turbo it seems. all i know is that superchargers cut the engine's life by half at least. what about turbos , are they THAT bad for the engine?
Old 06-14-2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by 2001SE
i am pretty sure that supercharger is worse to the engine then a turbocharger. i dont like superchargers and you get more power from a turbo it seems. all i know is that superchargers cut the engine's life by half at least. what about turbos , are they THAT bad for the engine?
The turbo is not parastic (doesnt take power to make power) unlike the S/C and produces little boost at lower rpms (under 2500). So as long as you drive sane its perfectly alright, go over 3 and you get alot O *****!
So no its not THAT bad. The s/c cutting the engines life in half is a bit exaggerated but even if it does the car can still go over 300K so who cares
Old 06-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry woo. hope you find what the problem is.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:14 PM

Re: My Max is in critical condition.......HELP!!!!

have you fixed it yet?
what was the problem?
what was happening to your power steering fluid???
Old 06-19-2003, 07:55 PM

My power steering pump was bent badly......so i had to get that fixed.....
Old 06-19-2003, 08:32 PM

Dude I still dont know why your have a UDP with a S/C. You know that robs atleast 20whp. As to how the P/S got bent
Old 06-19-2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by 2001SE
you are pretty sure??? first, you have to understand how does a supercharger work before making a comment like this.

second, before you jump into a conclusion that SCer cuts engine life by half....I want to say something: how long will a boost engine last is really depends on 1.proper isntallation/monitoring 2.preventive maintenance 3.driving style and last 4.amount of boost. if a person install any kinda of high level boosting device and launch at every single he sees, his engine/tranny wont last very long.

third....turbos, again....you have to undersand how does a turbo work first....

let me help you

www.howstuffworks.com
Old 06-19-2003, 11:10 PM

Re: My Max is in critical condition.......HELP!!!!

who installed your SC? Have you checked all the bolts on the SC plate are still in place? maybe some bolts fell off from the SC plate and got caught by the belt then jammed into the main pulley.

powersteering pump....I too cant figure out how it got bent.

it will help if you can jack up you car and take some pictures.

Woo Cho - post this again (with pictures if possible) in the SC/TC forum or general forum. you will get more help over there.

Originally posted by Woo Cho
First I did't think it would be anything importent until today I took my car for Tune up and the mechanic called me and told me "Hey ur cars in critical conditions" he told me my pulley is bent and my powersteering pump is bent up badly. I freakin hav no idea how that happend.....he also advise me not to drive my car unless I hav to......it could lead to blow my engine........it's really stressin me out......

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
if you want to keep the reliability, then why you mod your car at the first place? Tell me how many MAFs were killed by aftermarket intake?

when you decided to go with a modification like SC/TC/N2O.....it is not going to be plug and play. I agree with you and reliability is greatly reduced after this kinda modification

I doubt it....

you should...if you are not prepared for it, dont go for it.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Jer
3 years, over 70k miles, over 25k of that supercharged, on an AUTOMATIC, and the only complains I have are hte coils that were toast when the car was only 1 year old (less than 30k), and the o2 sensor which was recently replaced (under warranty - this with the s/c and y-pipe still bolted on).
how did you get the dealer to perform warranty with your SC/ypipe bolted on?

My car still gets me where I want to go, and I still drive it like I stole it, nuff said
tell me about it...you have 80 timeslips ever since the SC installed. I've only launched......hmmmm....5 times the most after the SC installed. You still on the original tranny......what kinda secret juice did you add to your tranny and engine.