5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hesitation TSB.....anyone got it without the MAF

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 02:07 PM

Hesitation TSB.....anyone got it without the MAF

Has anyone gotten the hesitation TSB done without getting the new MAF...Basically just a ECU flash. If so then does this help, noticeable differences. Aslo what were the part numbers for the good and bad MAFs. Thanks
Old 06-14-2003, 03:32 PM

Yes I had it done without a new maf and yes it made a hell of a difference in my car.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Virus
Yes I had it done without a new maf and yes it made a hell of a difference in my car.

Made a huge difference. Just spent the weekend in the mountains which included dropping the hammer in 2nd gear to get around RVs chugging up grades. Not once did it hesitate.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:18 PM

Hesitation fix no new maf.

Had this done 2 months ago and they did not replace my maf. At first the fix was great but now i'm not sure. It hesitates at times but the car runs great. Maybe it's all in my head. The tsb is very worth it. The car pulls nice and strong all thru the band, from low to high. It may be due to weather change. It's getting hot finally here up north.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:01 PM

I read the hesitation TSB over for MT, and it says plain as day that for 2k3, they are only to flash the ECU, and only if you have a certain version in your ECU, which they read via a Consult II. They are supposed to replace the MAF only on 2k2s with a particular MAF, and this only occurs on early production 2k2s.

I haven't had it done yet, next day off I'm heading in, hopefully this friday.

I'd like to know if anyone dynoed before and after the new code. Heck, I'd like to get a peak at the new code. If I had some time, I was going to data log the ECU to see if I could capture a window when the hesitation occurs, to maybe see what's up, but since Nissan came out with a fix, I lost my motivation. I have an ODBII connector <==> rs232 to my laptop with some capture software, it's really cool.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:12 PM
ABS

Originally posted by itdood
I read the hesitation TSB over for MT, and it says plain as day that for 2k3, they are only to flash the ECU, and only if you have a certain version in your ECU, which they read via a Consult II. They are supposed to replace the MAF only on 2k2s with a particular MAF, and this only occurs on early production 2k2s.

I haven't had it done yet, next day off I'm heading in, hopefully this friday.

I'd like to know if anyone dynoed before and after the new code. Heck, I'd like to get a peak at the new code. If I had some time, I was going to data log the ECU to see if I could capture a window when the hesitation occurs, to maybe see what's up, but since Nissan came out with a fix, I lost my motivation. I have an ODBII connector &lt;==&gt; rs232 to my laptop with some capture software, it's really cool.
What OBD-II connector and software are you using? What parameters can you track directly? Can you see each O2 sensor, MAF, cam and crank sensors, timing advance, knock sensor, etc.?

I'm really interested in this. In the latest issue of Sport Compact Car, they mentioned how the 4 cylinder Altima engine has an overly sensitive knock sensor . . . I wonder if we have the same problem?
Old 06-16-2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by ABS

What OBD-II connector and software are you using? What parameters can you track directly? Can you see each O2 sensor, MAF, cam and crank sensors, timing advance, knock sensor, etc.?

I'm really interested in this. In the latest issue of Sport Compact Car, they mentioned how the 4 cylinder Altima engine has an overly sensitive knock sensor . . . I wonder if we have the same problem?
I use this on my dell c840

http://www.obd-2.com/

I have just the ISO connector. I actually got this for my Talon TSi. I haven't tried it on my Max yet but it's supposed to be an ISO connector as well, so it should work.

You can download the software to check out what it monitors. You pay this guy by buying his connector.

You can't log knock directly with OBDII, but you can watch timing. If timing is getting pulled, that's almost always high knock counts, say above 5-9 Hz.

It'll log all 02 banks. MAF, spark adv, MAP, all the typical OBDII variables, plus you'll see manufacturer specific real time data feeds, you just need to figure out what they are sometimes.

On my talon, I'll do some WOT runs with capture running to tune. I graph timing, o2 volts (Bank 1 Sensor 1), MAF, MAP, TP, Load, injector duty, against RPMs to see what's up. I tune with a SAFC, I bumped injectors up from 450 to 550 CC. This is a turbo car so it really makes a difference.

I'll have to do some WOT captures on my Max to see what's up. I'd be curious to see what timing does once it goes open loop. If I see it start to pull, then something is up with knock.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

im a newbie here, just bought a 2k auto GLE. the HESITATION that you guys are talking about. say if i am at a light and i floor the gas, the car will just sit there for a split second and then take off. only happens in the low gears, but if i am going about 25 or more and then floor it, there is no hesitation and it takes off. so there is a TSB that will fix this or is this just normal for the max. thanks
Old 06-17-2003, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by redstradic
im a newbie here, just bought a 2k auto GLE. the HESITATION that you guys are talking about. say if i am at a light and i floor the gas, the car will just sit there for a split second and then take off. only happens in the low gears, but if i am going about 25 or more and then floor it, there is no hesitation and it takes off. so there is a TSB that will fix this or is this just normal for the max. thanks
The TSB they are speaking offis for 02/03 Maxima, I dont know if their was one for the 00/01's. I had the ECU redoneno MAF needed on my 03 and the very little hesitation I had is long gone. It gets up and goes the power flow is much more linear than before.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by redstradic
Im going tomorrow to get the "hesitation" looked at...Ill let you know what they say...I have a 2000 se...and from what I have read it could be a long list of things...Ill keep updated...