5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Automatic breaks loose at 20MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 03:00 PM

Automatic breaks loose at 20MPH?

Someone in this forum said that their tires break loose when they punch it at 20MPH. Who has an AUTOMATIC gen5 maxima that does this on dry pavement? What tires and air pressure? Mods? Of courae all the BIG HP 5/6-speed SEs do this easily. I am interested in hearing from automatic drivers.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Automatic breaks loose at 20MPH?

Originally posted by jay beede
Someone in this forum said that their tires break loose when they punch it at 20MPH. Who has an AUTOMATIC gen5 maxima that does this on dry pavement? What tires and air pressure? Mods? Of courae all the BIG HP 5/6-speed SEs do this easily. I am interested in hearing from automatic drivers.
Sorry to be so harsh but why does it matter?

My Z28 would spin the wheels into a ball of smoke at 60mph but who cares? I hated the fact I had such a traction problem.

Oh ya, I forgot, drifting is suppose to be cool as well.

OK enough of that. In Vegas you can burn the tires off the rim in a 2k2+ automatic Maxima as long as your at a speed within 1st gear. I say Vegas because the streets have very little traction here.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:00 PM

im pretty sure ive done that with my 2k2 bone stock auto at around 15 mph or so - 1st gearing in the 2k2's are very strong - and about the ls1's hell yah, my friend has a mid 12second transam that he says he always feels like he's driving on water
Old 06-16-2003, 07:52 AM

Re: Automatic breaks loose at 20MPH?

Based on testing yesterday, my 2k3's tires break loose at 20 on dry pavement. Let's define it though - we're not talking smoke, it's the tires mildly screeching for a few seconds.

I'm stock (engine), and this was in 1 instead of letting the tranny shift down.

Of courae all the BIG HP 5/6-speed SEs do this easily.
BTW, wasn't aware SEs came with a HP advantage over GXE/GLEs?
Old 06-16-2003, 07:55 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Automatic breaks loose at 20MPH?

Originally posted by Maximam

Sorry to be so harsh but why does it matter?

My Z28 would spin the wheels into a ball of smoke at 60mph but who cares? I hated the fact I had such a traction problem.

Oh ya, I forgot, drifting is suppose to be cool as well.

OK enough of that. In Vegas you can burn the tires off the rim in a 2k2+ automatic Maxima as long as your at a speed within 1st gear. I say Vegas because the streets have very little traction here.

No kidding, this is soooo freaking dependent on a number of variables, not only is the act inane, so is the question.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Automatic breaks loose at 20MPH?

Originally posted by jjs

No kidding, this is soooo freaking dependent on a number of variables, not only is the act inane, so is the question.
You guys are no fun. Sunny day, coming back from the gas station, hate my Potenzas - why not see if they spin at 20?
Old 06-16-2003, 08:12 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Automatic breaks loose at 20MPH?

Originally posted by Maximax2

You guys are no fun. Sunny day, coming back from the gas station, hate my Potenzas - why not see if they spin at 20?

OK, ok...it is one thing if you 'happen to be out and around', but to actually care about how to go about it. Hmmm....
Old 06-16-2003, 08:17 AM

Based on testing yesterday, my 2k3's tires break loose at 20 on dry pavement. Let's define it though - we're not talking smoke, it's the tires mildly screeching for a few seconds.
I would agree w/ this...

"mildly screeching for a few seconds." that's about it.

What surprised me about my auto (first one I've owned), is that I can catch (small) second-gear scratches. I've been informed that this really isn't a big deal on auto Max's, but I like it!
Old 06-16-2003, 05:37 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by Maximam
I can account for slippery dry streets in Vegas. Since it never rains here, a nice layer of dust settles on the streets and stays there. And when it rains, that layer of dust turns into one HUGE oil slick. Better stay at home when it rains, it's bad. Well, everyone else should stay at home and I can drive.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by CHAZMAX

I would agree w/ this...

"mildly screeching for a few seconds." that's about it.

What surprised me about my auto (first one I've owned), is that I can catch (small) second-gear scratches. I've been informed that this really isn't a big deal on auto Max's, but I like it!
it impresses people too.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:03 PM

BTW, wasn't aware SEs came with a HP advantage over GXE/GLEs?
They don't. "big HP 5/6 spds" he meant ones with forced induction I'd guess.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by jjs

I think it's cool when you want to spin the tires, but there is nothing worse than spinning the tires when you don't want to. I'm looking into buying a 2000 Explorer as a replacement for my station car and when looking at one of the boards these maniacs were complaining they couldn't spin the tires with AWD. WTF did you buy a AWD vehicle for if you want to lose traction????

I wonder how old people are who like to spin the tires. After the costs of a house and life, the last thing I want to do is have to buy new tires cause of a smoke show or 2.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by ch13f

Sorry, that was mild sarcasm - I'll warn everyone next time
Old 06-17-2003, 10:50 PM

The reason for the question has to do with whether my transmission is kicking down properly and whether my torque is high enough to spin the wheels. The point was to come up with a rough estimate of how my SE is performing vs. the rest of the population. As it happens I have noticed significant differences between samples of Maxima in terms of jittery vs. smooth ride and in straight line acceleration. I'm sorry I asked.

People on this site say "your car's power is down, take it in for warranty service". Let me ask you--do you bring your dyno slip with you when you make your service appointment? On the other hand what should I expect from people who think repainting increases the value of an '02/'03 used car and that dealers prefer cash! I am a idiot (sic).
Old 06-18-2003, 06:18 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by ch13f

All 6 speeds are big HP.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Automatic breaks loose at 20MPH?

Originally posted by spta97

I think it's cool when you want to spin the tires, but there is nothing worse than spinning the tires when you don't want to. I'm looking into buying a 2000 Explorer as a replacement for my station car and when looking at one of the boards these maniacs were complaining they couldn't spin the tires with AWD. WTF did you buy a AWD vehicle for if you want to lose traction????

I wonder how old people are who like to spin the tires. After the costs of a house and life, the last thing I want to do is have to buy new tires cause of a smoke show or 2.
Are you kidding?
I'm trying to wear down my RE92 meats just so I have an excuse to mount the SO3's that I really want. Besides, I've met very few Maxima owners who don't enjoy a good "smoke show" now and again.

And to answer 'jay beede,' I've noticed 20mph to be the magic number on my '02 Auto SE. And in my case its always a 2nd to 1st kick down on the tranny that does it. (Geez, I love this car )
Old 06-18-2003, 07:24 PM

transmissions are lossy devices, automatics are lossier than manuals so a 6-speed maxima will deliver more HP to the wheels than a maxima with automatic. How many of you have your maximas dyno'ed at the crankshaft? I thought so.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:34 PM

FYI: transmissions are lossy devices, automatics are lossier than manuals so a 6-speed maxima will deliver more HP to the rear wheels than a maxima with automatic. How many of you have your maximas dyno'ed at the crankshaft? I thought so.
Jay, I hope you mean front wheels.

BTW, you said you were wondering how you car performed compared with others. Why would you rate you cars performance on wheel spin?
Old 06-18-2003, 09:47 PM

Wha... paint chips, reversing windows, hood shake... now you tell me that the maxima is front-wheel drive!? Can this get any worse?

Actually I am generally unimpressed with my maxima's response to sudden throttle inputs and I was curious to see if your automatics were downshifting more aggressively than mine. Seems like a little tire screech from 20 MPH would be a decent indicator. I have driven several boxstock '02/03 SEs and some seem noticeably better than others in terms of low end torque and building revs at 4,000 RPM and above.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:31 AM

People on this site say "your car's power is down, take it in for warranty service". Let me ask you--do you bring your dyno slip with you when you make your service appointment? On the other hand what should I expect from people who think repainting increases the value of an '02/'03 used car and that dealers prefer cash! I am a idiot (sic).
max_gator did. his variable intake was not working and he had to dyno the car to proof it to the dealer.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:40 AM

Dude, that is just tooooo funny....