5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How do we adjusting Trunk tension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How do we adjusting Trunk tension?

I had a spoiler added to my 2k max but the shop didn't fix the tension on the trunk and it's too heavy to stay up on its own. Does anyone know how I fix this. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:29 PM

Re: How do we adjusting Trunk tension?

We had the EXACT same thing happen.The dealer (Morningside Nissan)and his bodyshop man,said that it was normal,and nothing can be done !!!

Watch your head !!!

Originally posted by Iam1WeRMany
I had a spoiler added to my 2k max but the shop didn't fix the tension on the trunk and it's too heavy to stay up on its own. Does anyone know how I fix this. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

no no, I'm sure something can be done..they are just being lazy. I know you have to buy someking of tool that can fix it..but just need some help figuring out how
Old 06-15-2003, 07:41 PM

Anything you can find out,I'd REALLY like to know.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you add a stock spoiler?

I think that the trunk tension is determined by the tension rods used to hold the trunk open. When the trunk is closed, the rod is twisted at 180 degrees and held in place by a bracket on one end to the deck, and the other end to the the hinge on the trunk. There are 2 of them, one goes from right side of deck to left hinge of trunk, and other goes from left side of deck to right hinge of trunk. When you open the trunk, the rods are untwisted to an angle less than 180 degrees, and wants to stay that way, hence the reason the trunk stays open.

I can only think of 2 possibilities. One, is that all models, GXE/SE/GLE, use the same tension rods, and if the spoiler you added isn't OEM, or an OEM equivalent, it might just be that your spoiler is a bit heavy for the tension rods, and is the reason that it can no longer hold it open. Two, if your spoiler IS an OEM, or OEM equivalent, then theres a possibility that the SE has different tension bars than the spoiler-less GXE and GLE.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SkylineGTR
Did you add a stock spoiler?

I think that the trunk tension is determined by the tension rods used to hold the trunk open. When the trunk is closed, the rod is twisted at 180 degrees and held in place by a bracket on one end to the deck, and the other end to the the hinge on the trunk. There are 2 of them, one goes from right side of deck to left hinge of trunk, and other goes from left side of deck to right hinge of trunk. When you open the trunk, the rods are untwisted to an angle less than 180 degrees, and wants to stay that way, hence the reason the trunk stays open.

I can only think of 2 possibilities. One, is that all models, GXE/SE/GLE, use the same tension rods, and if the spoiler you added isn't OEM, or an OEM equivalent, it might just be that your spoiler is a bit heavy for the tension rods, and is the reason that it can no longer hold it open. Two, if your spoiler IS an OEM, or OEM equivalent, then theres a possibility that the SE has different tension bars than the spoiler-less GXE and GLE.
I know for a fact that the tensioner rods are different. I added a spoiler to my trunk and as soon as I put it on it fell as described. My girlfriend's got an '03 SE w/spoiler and it stays up and goes down slow. I'm thinking there is a way to adjust the tension. There is no hope for my trunk lid. I added about ten pounds of Dynamat so I've just gotten used to it.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:13 AM

Mines an OEM spoiler.The trunl lid on an SE with the factory spoiler,doesn't seem any better. My lid will stay open ...if ...you open it FULLY.

But if you don't,or you just tap it,it comes crashing down ..literally.

If you have a bag of groceries and when trying to lift the lid,you hand slips,the lid will close and lock !! Very frustrating.

You've got to keep your head and hands out of the way.