5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Test Drove a 2001 SE Limited Edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2000, 06:36 PM

My dealer called me tonight. The just took delivery of a 2001 Max SE Limited. Very nice car. They made an offer below list price, but not much lower. They said they are going to put a market adjustment add-on of $1995, if I don't buy it. I get the loyal customer discount. List price on this one was $31,149. This car is loaded. Leather, meridian, Bose, comfort and convience, sunroof, etc. It has every option except for the CD changer. Couple of problems... the ordered Superblack, instead of the more limited Majestic Blue, and they ordered it with automatic transmission. Also, for that price I could get an Lexus is300. Hmmm... what should I do?

Also, the muffler is the same has a 2000 Maxima, same part number. The only difference is that tailpipes turn down, due to the ground effects.

[Edited by Paul2kGXE on 09-15-2000 at 08:54 AM]
Old 09-14-2000, 06:58 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

get an i30T if you are spending over 30K

paying 30K for a maxima would be a HUGE financial hit. I was alittle upset at maxima resale. I dont intend to sell anytime soon and the car was worth what I paid, but no one can deny that max resale drops quickly. not like a domestic, but quicker than it should. Even tho the 2K body style is holding it alittle high right now, I'd be very leary of a 30K max. Given what I know now, I'd NEVER buy a nissan for MSRP.

Again, I'm not being bitter about it.. but if you buy that 2001 and nissan gives a 4000 dollar discount 2 months later, thats money right out of your pocket. Ask some of the 4th geners about it. they are alittle more bitter about Nissan rebates, excluding those that bought with a rebate.

Besides not being a highly sought after car (its no s2000), it just pushes the price into the lexus/infinity/acura zone. I would proceed with reservation on this SE-A..
Old 09-14-2000, 07:02 PM
jobber99

Majestic Blue

How many Majestic Blue Maximas are there going to be, with respect to the other colors?

Old 09-14-2000, 07:24 PM

Did the Same Thing

Paul,

I did the exact same thing last night. (I loved it when I drove it and I can deal with the black auto no problem. My dealership in STL ordered 10 Limited Editions - 8 Stick Majestic Blues and 2 Auto SuperBlacks. Guess what 2 were left on the lot!!! Anyway, my dealer put a $4,000 after market adjustment on a car which had the exact same sticker price that you mentioned (Bringing it up to 35,149). He made me a laughable offer and so I made him a counter. he told me that he pre-sold all 8 of the sticks before they got here and no one wants the autos. So, I told him that if you knock off the aftermarket adjustment, I would pay invoice which is probably around 28,149. That way, he'd still get profit since he paid under invoice and I would get a good deal. He said 'he'd get back to me'. He won't go for it because they are 2001's, they're limited edition and someone will bite on the more expensive price, but he said if he couldn't do the deal, he would see where we stood if the cars still were there in 2 more months. We'll see. I have a buddy at that dealership who sells VW and says that they are kicking Nissan's A$$ in sales and the Nissan SM is getting desperate - they didn't get enough Limited Editions to make an impact and he is going to start making deals on regular 2001's. So, we'll see what happens.
Old 09-14-2000, 11:32 PM

screw VW and thier cookie-cutter yuppie car image. They haven't made a car I would buy since the Corrado.
Old 09-14-2000, 11:51 PM

i30t.."xenon" n/m

Old 09-15-2000, 07:56 AM

I tell U one thing Guys.. paying $35K for a Maxima would be foolish. in 1 year that car would be getting its *** kicked for $25K. no one would want it. when I was buying my car a local dealer had a Satil Blue Maxima SE everything and had added Crome to the factory 17" wheels.. he wanted like $31,900 for that thing. I was thinking someone would prolly buy this thing and not realize what a mistake he/she has just made. I don't keep cars for over 2years. so when its my turn to sell the car I wanna make sure I'm not upside down on my loan. wanna spend $35k on a Maxima spend a few more and get the S4.. Not talking bad about the maxima or anything, just stateing facts
Old 09-15-2000, 09:42 AM
dvyuan

For the price they are asking for the SE limited you can use the difference and get all the upgrades the 2001 has and still have some money left over!!! I think the biggest difference I would love to have is the LSD, everything else can be easily done.

Old 09-15-2000, 09:50 AM
jobber99

What about resale?

You do get the nice badging and thus when you resell your car, you can say it is a "20th anniversary" edition.

Old 09-15-2000, 10:46 AM

Pioneer - you're right

Originally posted by PIONEER
I tell U one thing Guys.. paying $35K for a Maxima would be foolish. in 1 year that car would be getting its *** kicked for $25K. no one would want it. when I was buying my car a local dealer had a Satil Blue Maxima SE everything and had added Crome to the factory 17" wheels.. he wanted like $31,900 for that thing. I was thinking someone would prolly buy this thing and not realize what a mistake he/she has just made. I don't keep cars for over 2years. so when its my turn to sell the car I wanna make sure I'm not upside down on my loan. wanna spend $35k on a Maxima spend a few more and get the S4.. Not talking bad about the maxima or anything, just stateing facts
That's what I'm saying - I wouldn't pay $35k for a Maxima - no matter how much I love them. It's all fluff and I am just trying to get him down to a fair value. You're also right that someone probably WILL buy it for that, but that's not the smart move. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-15-2000, 02:09 PM

saw

it loved the lights. it's sooooooooo nice. the kit is "SO SO" i'll try to buy one and make amold oouta it and see how it turns out. but the steerin wheel is nice and the mirror and the shifter. i didn't drive it but i dont' care much about lsd since i'll be crusin' at 13mph with my stereo blasting through cities. so i'm not gonna use the LsD that much.. it's a car with many shiny things. but not worth what an i30t costs. the i30t has rear sunshades, xenon, built in navi that just looks awesome, it's an infinity, looks very refined. definately the car i woulda chose if i had to pay.. just imo. i think if u like just the lights and certain minor shiny armor in the car, just purchase it seperately. it'll end up being a couple thousand dollars cheaper.
Old 09-15-2000, 08:38 PM

Re: saw

Originally posted by mingo
it loved the lights. it's sooooooooo nice. the kit is "SO SO" i'll try to buy one and make amold oouta it and see how it turns out. but the steerin wheel is nice and the mirror and the shifter. i didn't drive it but i dont' care much about lsd since i'll be crusin' at 13mph with my stereo blasting through cities. so i'm not gonna use the LsD that much.. it's a car with many shiny things. but not worth what an i30t costs. the i30t has rear sunshades, xenon, built in navi that just looks awesome, it's an infinity, looks very refined. definately the car i woulda chose if i had to pay.. just imo. i think if u like just the lights and certain minor shiny armor in the car, just purchase it seperately. it'll end up being a couple thousand dollars cheaper.
Yup yup. the stillen kit, headlights, 20th Ann badge, Xenon should cost U about 2500 or so. don't know about that steering wheel though. I don't know guys.. when the car is not soo common who knows, they just might be selling them things at invoice. thats what pisses me off about nissan.. I buy a car keeping in mind I'm gonna sell it so I wouldn't like to get myself in a situation where I'm stuck with the thing, no matter what goes down... My advice to U guys.. don't get the car if the dealer is chargeing outragous for it unless U Plan to drive it in the ground and never sellit. other wise $32K price tag for a maxima is only gonna last til U drive it off the lot.
Old 09-15-2000, 11:23 PM

DAMN ... 2001 $$$$ In U.S

WOW ... they really charge you an arm and a LEG in the States for a 2001 Maxima SE ... hehehe

I was LUCKY ... Na na na na na na ... I got my 2001 Maxima SE "20th Anniversary Edition" Icelandic Pearl White ... for about the Same price ... BUT BUT ... in CANADIAN Dollars! wooooohoooo hehehe

Empz,
Old 09-16-2000, 05:46 PM

So tell us....

What's the deal with the Carbon Fiber interior? Any pics of the car yet??? Lotsa luck!!!
Old 09-16-2000, 05:46 PM

Re: DAMN ... 2001 $$$$ In U.S

Congrats! My dealer called me again. Sounds like they want to lower their initial offer. The only price I will buy for is invoice.

Originally posted by Empz
WOW ... they really charge you an arm and a LEG in the States for a 2001 Maxima SE ... hehehe

I was LUCKY ... Na na na na na na ... I got my 2001 Maxima SE "20th Anniversary Edition" Icelandic Pearl White ... for about the Same price ... BUT BUT ... in CANADIAN Dollars! wooooohoooo hehehe

Empz,
Old 09-16-2000, 08:47 PM

not stillen

the stillen side skirt i believe is a one peice. the front lip looks diff too. and the rear veilance is also a one peice i think from stillen the factory is 3 and the exhust grove is small. stillen also has three slits in the rear kit.