5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

killed a 03 tiburon

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 11:18 PM

killed a 03 tiburon

my friend just bought the new v6 tiburon 6speed and he swore he can beat me with ease and the dealer mustve lied to him cuz he said the dealer said his car does 0-60 under 6seconds.... so we raced of course yesterday... i gave hima head start cuz i knew i would blow him away so after he got like 4 cars in length i floored it and of course i peeled out a bit then i caught up to him at about 80mph then i flew by at 115mph and had about a good 3 cars in front of him and then we slowed down due to traffic...man after that he was like daaaaaaaaayyyyammmmm i aint kno maxima that fast and he gave me props i have a 03 TE
Old 06-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dood it only has 190 hp i think but still a nice kill but try to keep it on the track but good kill
Old 06-16-2003, 11:21 PM

i try not to race ppl on the road and it was a very quiet sunday night and no cars on the road til the light
Old 06-16-2003, 11:27 PM

im just saying nice kill bro
Old 06-17-2003, 04:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

are you an auto are a 6?
Old 06-17-2003, 05:32 AM

Are you proud? You killed a Hyundai
Old 06-17-2003, 05:56 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by krmaxima
dood it only has 190 hp i think but still a nice kill but try to keep it on the track but good kill
This thread is almost dumb...it certainly is silly. Of course you killed the new V6 Tiburon. They only have 170 HP and weigh slightly over 3000 pounds (like 3023 I believe). Whoever he purchased it from was a typical salesman...spouting BS from both ends.

190 HP...yeah, with a 25 shot of N2O...
Old 06-17-2003, 06:37 AM

Re: killed a 03 tiburon

Originally posted by BlkMaXinMD
my friend just bought the new v6 tiburon 6speed and he swore he can beat me with ease and the dealer mustve lied to him cuz he said the dealer said his car does 0-60 under 6seconds.... so we raced of course yesterday... i gave hima head start cuz i knew i would blow him away so after he got like 4 cars in length i floored it and of course i peeled out a bit then i caught up to him at about 80mph then i flew by at 115mph and had about a good 3 cars in front of him and then we slowed down due to traffic...man after that he was like daaaaaaaaayyyyammmmm i aint kno maxima that fast and he gave me props i have a 03 TE
Punks in those Tiburons think they drivin' Supras n ****- nice kill
anyway
Old 06-17-2003, 06:43 AM

Of course they have superchargers and turbos out for them. They have tons of other mods available as well. Run into one of those and you will have your hands full.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
Good **** though. I hate those cars.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:17 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

now if you said M5 or some ****...I'd give u props

Old 06-17-2003, 07:35 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

now if you said M5 or some ****...I'd give u props
If he said he killed an M5 I'd raise a particular flag...
Old 06-17-2003, 07:47 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by Quicksilver

If he said he killed an M5 I'd raise a particular flag...
true.....i guess I shoulda said GT or somethin

Old 06-17-2003, 09:19 AM

Re: killed a 03 tiburon

Originally posted by BlkMaXinMD
Good kill, anyone that disrespects a Maxima is a good kill. Anyway I looked up performance data for a Tiburon V6 6 spd: 0-60:7.7 seconds
1/4 mile: 16.3 seconds
Old 06-17-2003, 09:24 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Re: Re: killed a 03 tiburon

Originally posted by FlexMAX

Good kill, anyone that disrespects a Maxima is a good kill. Anyway I looked up performance data for a Tiburon V6 6 spd: 0-60:7.7 seconds
1/4 mile: 16.3 seconds
Yeah, it's a cool looking POS...
Old 06-17-2003, 10:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: killed a 03 tiburon

Originally posted by Quicksilver

Yeah, it's a cool looking POS...
Just for reference, Hyundai Motor Corp was ranked 2nd this year behind Toyota and tied with Honda for the least number of warranty claims.

Taken from Yahoo News:

Consumer Reports Finds American-Made Vehicles Close Reliability Gap With European-Made Vehicles--as Japanese Continue to Set New Benchmarks for the Industry
Monday March 10, 5:56 pm ET
Hyundai now ranks among best 2002 brands for reliability

YONKERS, NY--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 10, 2003-- Consumer Reports' annual 2002 auto reliability survey shows that domestic auto manufacturers continue to make solid gains in reliability and now build vehicles that are as reliable on average in the first year as those from European manufacturers. At the same time, the Japanese car companies continue to push the envelope by building more reliable cars than before and setting new benchmarks for the industry.
ADVERTISEMENT

CR's reliability survey also shows that Korea's Hyundai has made a striking turnaround during the past decade and--for the 2002 model year--ranks with the best Japanese manufacturers. In CR's latest survey, Hyundai tied Honda for second-place in reliability ratings for 2002s behind Toyota.

In a special analysis, Consumer Reports also examines long-term reliability of domestic, European and Asian vehicles from the model years 2000 and 1998. Knowing how such models are holding up is vital if you're deciding whether to keep an older car or if you're thinking of buying a used one. On average, CR found that three-year-old models had three times as many problems as the 2002 models; the 1998 models had about four times as many problems as the 2002s.

CR's 50th Anniversary April Auto Issue includes extensive vehicle reliability findings. The 50th Anniversary April Auto Issue is on sale March 11 through June 11. The magazine is generally available where magazines are sold and may also be ordered online at www.ConsumerReports.org.

Consumer Reports surveys its readers annually to obtain detailed information on hundreds of different makes and models. The 2002 survey yielded responses on nearly 480,000 vehicles spanning eight model years--1995 to 2002. Owners told CR about problems they had during the preceding 12 months in 14 areas, ranging from the electrical system to the engine, transmission, and more. Using that data, Consumer Reports predicts reliability for new models and gives detailed problem rates for older models. CR's statistical analysis for each manufacturer are based upon the number of problems per 100 vehicles.

For the 2002 model year, the average for the industry was 18 problems per 100 vehicles, down from 21 problems per 100 vehicles in the 2001 survey. American and European-branded vehicles both averaged 21 problems per 100 vehicles. Asian manufacturers--which include both Japanese brands and Korea's Hyundai--averaged just 12 problems per 100 vehicles.

Toyota topped CR's reliability ranking, with just 10 problems per 100, down from 12 per 100 last year. Honda and Hyundai tied for second place, with 11 problems per 100 vehicles. Subaru had 13 problems per 100, and Nissan had 15 problems per 100. Mazda had 20 problems per 100 vehicles.

Among domestic manufacturers, Chrysler ranked best, with 20 problems per 100 followed by GM with 21 and Ford with 23. The 2002 models from all three domestic car companies showed improvements over last year's levels.

Among European brands, BMWs and Volkswagens had 20 problems per 100 vehicles while Mercedes-Benz had 22 problems per 100 vehicles.

In a similar analysis of foreign and domestic brands published in the April 2002 auto issue, Consumer Reports found that the average for all 2001 models was 21 problems per 100 vehicles. Models made by Japanese car companies averaged only 15 problems per 100. European- and American-branded vehicles averaged 23 and 24 problems per 100 vehicles, respectively.

Long-term Durability: How 3- and 5- Year-Old Vehicles Fared

CR's special analysis of model years 2000 and 1998 found that those vehicles are far more likely to have problems than new vehicles--and the consumer will have to foot the bill if the warranty has expired.

On average, model-year 2000 cars had three times as many problems as the 2002 cars: 55 problems per 100 vehicles. By the time the average car approached three years old, problems that were apparent when the cars were new--such as those in the electrical system and power equipment, or squeaks and rattles--were two or three times more common. Systems that were fine at the outset, such as brakes and cooling, started having some problems.

The best three-year-old models were the Acura RL, Honda CR-V, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Lexus ES300, Honda Civic, and Toyota Camry--all with fewer than 18 problems per 100. Worst: the Chevrolet Corvette; Ford Focus; Mercedes-Benz M-Class; Volkswagen Golf, Jetta, and New Beetle; and Chevrolet Astro/GMC Safari--all with more than 90 problems per 100 vehicles.

The average five-year-old model had 78 problems per 100 vehicles, about four times as many as the 2002s. Their Achilles heel: electrical problems, which were seen five times as often as in new cars. The best 1998 vehicles were the Honda CR-V, Toyota Tacoma (4WD), Acura RL, Lexus ES300, and Honda Odyssey/Isuzu Oasis, all with fewer than 25 problems per 100 vehicles. Worst: the Cadillac Catera, VW New Beetle, Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and Dodge/Plymouth Neon, all with more than 140 problems per 100.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:09 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Re: Re: Re: Re: killed a 03 tiburon

Originally posted by Virus

Just for reference, Hyundai Motor Corp was ranked 2nd this year behind Toyota and tied with Honda for the least number of warranty claims.

Taken from Yahoo News:

Consumer Reports Finds American-Made Vehicles Close Reliability Gap With European-Made Vehicles--as Japanese Continue to Set New Benchmarks for the Industry
Monday March 10, 5:56 pm ET
Hyundai now ranks among best 2002 brands for reliability

YONKERS, NY--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 10, 2003-- Consumer Reports' annual 2002 auto reliability survey shows that domestic auto manufacturers continue to make solid gains in reliability and now build vehicles that are as reliable on average in the first year as those from European manufacturers. At the same time, the Japanese car companies continue to push the envelope by building more reliable cars than before and setting new benchmarks for the industry.
ADVERTISEMENT

CR's reliability survey also shows that Korea's Hyundai has made a striking turnaround during the past decade and--for the 2002 model year--ranks with the best Japanese manufacturers. In CR's latest survey, Hyundai tied Honda for second-place in reliability ratings for 2002s behind Toyota.

In a special analysis, Consumer Reports also examines long-term reliability of domestic, European and Asian vehicles from the model years 2000 and 1998. Knowing how such models are holding up is vital if you're deciding whether to keep an older car or if you're thinking of buying a used one. On average, CR found that three-year-old models had three times as many problems as the 2002 models; the 1998 models had about four times as many problems as the 2002s.

CR's 50th Anniversary April Auto Issue includes extensive vehicle reliability findings. The 50th Anniversary April Auto Issue is on sale March 11 through June 11. The magazine is generally available where magazines are sold and may also be ordered online at www.ConsumerReports.org.

Consumer Reports surveys its readers annually to obtain detailed information on hundreds of different makes and models. The 2002 survey yielded responses on nearly 480,000 vehicles spanning eight model years--1995 to 2002. Owners told CR about problems they had during the preceding 12 months in 14 areas, ranging from the electrical system to the engine, transmission, and more. Using that data, Consumer Reports predicts reliability for new models and gives detailed problem rates for older models. CR's statistical analysis for each manufacturer are based upon the number of problems per 100 vehicles.

For the 2002 model year, the average for the industry was 18 problems per 100 vehicles, down from 21 problems per 100 vehicles in the 2001 survey. American and European-branded vehicles both averaged 21 problems per 100 vehicles. Asian manufacturers--which include both Japanese brands and Korea's Hyundai--averaged just 12 problems per 100 vehicles.

Toyota topped CR's reliability ranking, with just 10 problems per 100, down from 12 per 100 last year. Honda and Hyundai tied for second place, with 11 problems per 100 vehicles. Subaru had 13 problems per 100, and Nissan had 15 problems per 100. Mazda had 20 problems per 100 vehicles.

Among domestic manufacturers, Chrysler ranked best, with 20 problems per 100 followed by GM with 21 and Ford with 23. The 2002 models from all three domestic car companies showed improvements over last year's levels.

Among European brands, BMWs and Volkswagens had 20 problems per 100 vehicles while Mercedes-Benz had 22 problems per 100 vehicles.

In a similar analysis of foreign and domestic brands published in the April 2002 auto issue, Consumer Reports found that the average for all 2001 models was 21 problems per 100 vehicles. Models made by Japanese car companies averaged only 15 problems per 100. European- and American-branded vehicles averaged 23 and 24 problems per 100 vehicles, respectively.

Long-term Durability: How 3- and 5- Year-Old Vehicles Fared

CR's special analysis of model years 2000 and 1998 found that those vehicles are far more likely to have problems than new vehicles--and the consumer will have to foot the bill if the warranty has expired.

On average, model-year 2000 cars had three times as many problems as the 2002 cars: 55 problems per 100 vehicles. By the time the average car approached three years old, problems that were apparent when the cars were new--such as those in the electrical system and power equipment, or squeaks and rattles--were two or three times more common. Systems that were fine at the outset, such as brakes and cooling, started having some problems.

The best three-year-old models were the Acura RL, Honda CR-V, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Lexus ES300, Honda Civic, and Toyota Camry--all with fewer than 18 problems per 100. Worst: the Chevrolet Corvette; Ford Focus; Mercedes-Benz M-Class; Volkswagen Golf, Jetta, and New Beetle; and Chevrolet Astro/GMC Safari--all with more than 90 problems per 100 vehicles.

The average five-year-old model had 78 problems per 100 vehicles, about four times as many as the 2002s. Their Achilles heel: electrical problems, which were seen five times as often as in new cars. The best 1998 vehicles were the Honda CR-V, Toyota Tacoma (4WD), Acura RL, Lexus ES300, and Honda Odyssey/Isuzu Oasis, all with fewer than 25 problems per 100 vehicles. Worst: the Cadillac Catera, VW New Beetle, Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and Dodge/Plymouth Neon, all with more than 140 problems per 100.
Yeah, I know. I was one of the first to point that out earlier this year...
Old 06-17-2003, 10:24 AM
NT2SHBBY

yeah that might be fine and all, but I owned a Hyundai I can speak from experience...their reliability has increased w/o a doubt (thats not saying much considering what it used to be)...but their resale value still sucks major homeless man a$$ and they still have very quirky bugs they need to fine tune along with better quality material...

My 2000 Sonata V6 (my trade in for my previous 02 altima) had a driver side window that decided it didn't want to go fully up one day, the engine made a ticking sound at 28k and whenever leaves fell, they'd get trapped in the intake ducts and make another ticking sound when I had any sort of ventilation on.....

Old 06-17-2003, 10:39 AM

yea they make very good cars you cant really put them down any more because of all that warrenty and good service. also i think the cars look good.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:12 AM

There are more and more of these new tiborons (sp?) turning up at my school. I am telling you these guyz are actually worst than our local Acura/Honda ricers. Atleast they have all grown to appreciate faster cars and stick to their own category. These tiborun guys on the other had drive around campus with their carbon fiber hoods and loud *** exausts... brag all around campus about how the car is the fastest around school...

There is a Turbo Supra, 350Z, a bunch of SVT Cobra, Mach1 and GT Mustangs, and then a few 3.5 Maxes around the campus! If I drove any one of those I would love to prove them wrong, but alas I am stuck with my 2001 GLE piece of crap. Not sure how it would turn out if I tried.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:32 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

You would still take the '03 V6 6 Speed Tiburon. They are definitely not fast by any means. Now, when they start bolting on mods, they get to what the '02-'03 Maximas can do stock.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:33 PM

I don't care what kind of mods you do to a HYUNDAI (sp), it's still a freakin hyundai. The name sounds like $hit. I just don't see why people buying those cars would spend money on it with the engine mods. There was this guy I know, kept on bragging about a his tiburon. He claimed he spent 12000 on it, custom rims and paint and other junk for the engine. Why not buy a damn vette then? People that drive those cars have issues.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by JCW915
I don't care what kind of mods you do to a HYUNDAI (sp), it's still a freakin hyundai. The name sounds like $hit. I just don't see why people buying those cars would spend money on it with the engine mods. There was this guy I know, kept on bragging about a his tiburon. He claimed he spent 12000 on it, custom rims and paint and other junk for the engine. Why not buy a damn vette then? People that drive those cars have issues.
I remember when DATSUN annouced name change to NISSAN about 20 years ago. I thought to myself the same 'The name sounds like $hit.' Before and After. Now I am driving one.

Peter
Old 06-17-2003, 03:46 PM

The Tiburon is the first Hundai that I have said I would be caught dead in. It is a good little car for the money. I would rather drive that than a Civic or Focus if that is all the budget would allow.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:55 PM

My friend has a killer 2003 tiburon with so much money put into making his car faster.... sad... pretty sad... I have to admit though... Hyundai making an impression.. not a very good one, but they doing it
Old 06-17-2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by maximo-SE
My friend has a killer 2003 tiburon with so much money put into making his car faster.... sad... pretty sad... I have to admit though... Hyundai making an impression.. not a very good one, but they doing it
Likewise, I have a friend with a 2k3 Tib GTV6 and he has enough bolt-ons to get him a consistent 14.4 sec @ 97 mph. I have a 6spd and have raced him (at the 1/8th mi track) about 8 times and I have YET to beat him. The local dealers are now selling them with dealer installed aftermarket intakes, exhausts, and other performance parts that ALL fall under their 10 year or 100,000 mile warranty.

(BTW, sorry for the size of this Tibby pic below)
Old 06-17-2003, 06:53 PM

Here in Manassas, the Hyundai dealer honors full warranty and sells aftermarket parts including chips and turbos for their VW's and Hyundai's. I too used to have one and swore up and down that I would never own another one. My father in law just bought one for my brother in law. I have to say, it's a really nice looking fun to drive car. It handles well and is decently quick stock, but it definately needs the turbo to gain *****. I really wouldn't mind driving one.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:31 PM

Before my 2K1 Max SE I owned a 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX. At the time it was the sportiest car I could afford. I wasn't into racing or anything, but it definitely turned heads. When I got mine there were almost no other ones on the road. People were always looking at my car! No one made a car with such swoopie (sp?) lines. No one has since, either.

I sold it with 120,000 miles on it. The only things I replaced were the brakes, spark plugs, filters and the timing belt. It still had the original clutch! I sold it to a friend who is still driving it with absolutely no problems. If the budget is tight, I would definitely recommend a Hyundai. They have come a long way since the Excel.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:34 PM

yeah, i guess a few years ago, hyundai to us was like "WTF!? I aint driving no 7500 car!" They really made it... but if we had a turbo in our max... OMG!... I dont are about any car anymore. Wasnt there a dude on .org who turbo charges MAximas in Kentuky for like about 3750? IF you dont want all those intakes, and other crap and would like to sacrifice your fog lights, then you should look him up... I know if I lived in Kentucky ... I WOULD!
Old 06-18-2003, 12:03 AM

a lot of people have turbos in there maximas
Old 06-18-2003, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by Virus
Of course they have superchargers and turbos out for them. They have tons of other mods available as well. Run into one of those and you will have your hands full.
That is why you carry around a buck50 shot of tuned for those "just incase" situations. I see nitrous as being used for two things, making you haul @ss at the track and "self defense" on the street just incase you run across those serious cars you'll have a little surprise waiting for them. WOT in 3rd at 60mph and start to peel out and they will usually **** in their pants and not even race