5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

High flow cat from random tech

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 05:25 PM

i just picked my car up today from random tech. in ga. they used it to see if they could make a high flow cat for the 5ths gens... it turns out that the old high flow cat from the 4th gens fits right up on the 5ths gens...... they also asked me if i wanted to let them use my car to make a cat back system for the 5th gens as well. i willingly agreed and am going to schedule an appointment with them to get the cat back system put on. ill let u know how it works.
Old 01-30-2001, 05:58 PM

Is there a noticable performance improvement with just the RT cat? Do you have a y pipe?
Old 01-30-2001, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
Is there a noticable performance improvement with just the RT cat? Do you have a y pipe?
it isnt very noticable just a little bit louder acceleration noise but it sounds good mixed with the y- pipe and intake... i have a stillen y-pipe and intake and i really noticed those when i put them on.... the high flow cat was said to give my car an added 8-10hp at the wheel that is what RT quoted to me but the cat back system that they are going to do should be a noticable difference in the performance cause its going to be completely custom
Old 01-30-2001, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by WILLSE
i just picked my car up today from random tech. in ga. they used it to see if they could make a high flow cat for the 5ths gens... it turns out that the old high flow cat from the 4th gens fits right up on the 5ths gens...... they also asked me if i wanted to let them use my car to make a cat back system for the 5th gens as well. i willingly agreed and am going to schedule an appointment with them to get the cat back system put on. ill let u know how it works.
WILLSE - Hey Will. I just called Stillen today inquiring about their B pipe...as I have been since last Summer. They are no closer to having one developed now then they were then. So I give up with them. I have the Cattmann (sp?) Y-pipe sitting in my garage (Max is parked for winter) and plan on the Random Tech converter. I'm not really looking for the exhaust since I believe the stocker is a good design, but the B pipe would be on my list. Please contact me when you have more info on the Random Tech setup. If I could get everything in one phone call from the Y-pipe back I'd be golden. Thanks.

dhigson@incentre.net
Old 01-30-2001, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Albertan
WILLSE - Hey Will. I just called Stillen today inquiring about their B pipe...as I have been since last Summer. They are no closer to having one developed now then they were then. So I give up with them. I have the Cattmann (sp?) Y-pipe sitting in my garage (Max is parked for winter) and plan on the Random Tech converter. I'm not really looking for the exhaust since I believe the stocker is a good design, but the B pipe would be on my list. Please contact me when you have more info on the Random Tech setup. If I could get everything in one phone call from the Y-pipe back I'd be golden. Thanks.

dhigson@incentre.net
im calling the guy tomorrow to set up an appointment with him to see what we can work out on the cat back. it sounds to me that it will be just as good if not better than stillen since it is going to be a custom job and we can do what we want to it. ill let u know as soon as i do
Old 01-30-2001, 07:53 PM

im calling the guy tomorrow to set up an appointment with him to see what we can work out on the cat back. it sounds to me that it will be just as good if not better than stillen since it is going to be a custom job and we can do what we want to it. ill let u know as soon as i do [/I]
Cool, I'm game. Really I don't think from what I have seen that an aftermarket muffler is worth the expense...Stillen wants $500+ for theirs for something like 5 extra HP. But if its all custom from the Y-pipe back with proper diameters and so forth I'd be in on it. I try to be pro-Stillen cause I like to use parts from the same manufacturer where possible but man its hard with those guys. Maybe a group deal could be setup on this Random Tech cat-back system with or without a random tech converter ( I think there was just a GP on that item) to help them offset the R&D. Anyways let me know either way. Thanks Will.
Old 01-30-2001, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Albertan
im calling the guy tomorrow to set up an appointment with him to see what we can work out on the cat back. it sounds to me that it will be just as good if not better than stillen since it is going to be a custom job and we can do what we want to it. ill let u know as soon as i do
Cool, I'm game. Really I don't think from what I have seen that an aftermarket muffler is worth the expense...Stillen wants $500+ for theirs for something like 5 extra HP. But if its all custom from the Y-pipe back with proper diameters and so forth I'd be in on it. I try to be pro-Stillen cause I like to use parts from the same manufacturer where possible but man its hard with those guys. Maybe a group deal could be setup on this Random Tech cat-back system with or without a random tech converter ( I think there was just a GP on that item) to help them offset the R&D. Anyways let me know either way. Thanks Will. [/I]
i was up to buying the cat back from stillen until this RT guy told me that they wanted to use my car for a prototype for the cat back. the price that i pay will only be for materials too.... the high flow cat was 100.00 for me and it retails for 204.00 i think he said but the cat back should be alot lower than 550.00 which is what stillen quoted im too sure though. so either way it is all good.... let u know more when i talk to the guy....