5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Handling upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 07:39 AM
Ben

Handling upgrades

Hi!

I have a 2k SE 5spd. Great car, but a tad soft in handling. I would like to make the cornering a little better without totally blowing ride comfort.
What would you gods of maxima mods recommend for handling upgrades on a very limited budget. I've looked at front strut bars:
http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_de...id=2130&page=1
Are these relatively easy to put on?

Any thing else I can do without a major investment?
I'm not racing or anything, just want to be a little tighter in the corners.

TIA!!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:41 AM

Re: Handling upgrades

Originally posted by Ben
Hi!

I have a 2k SE 5spd. Great car, but a tad soft in handling. I would like to make the cornering a little better without totally blowing ride comfort.
What would you gods of maxima mods recommend for handling upgrades on a very limited budget. I've looked at front strut bars:
http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_de...130&page=1
Are these relatively easy to put on?

Any thing else I can do without a major investment?
I'm not racing or anything, just want to be a little tighter in the corners.

TIA!!
RSB & FSTB. Average Install for the RSB. FSTB - No Problem.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:53 AM
Ben

RSB == Rear stabilizer bar?
FSTB == Front strut tower bar?

Plz Excuse the ignorance, new to performance upgrades. Max is first car I owned worth upgrading.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Ben
RSB == Rear stabilizer bar?
FSTB == Front strut tower bar?

Plz Excuse the ignorance, new to performance upgrades. Max is first car I owned worth upgrading.
RSB - Rear Sway Bar (Cattman.com - $110)
FSTB - Correct (Lots of places - $25-50)
Old 06-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Ben

The RSB from cattman looks like a good deal. However, I can't seem to find find a good prcie on the FSTB. Cattman and stillen both want almost $200.
Is a $50 one really a good choice?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:54 AM

Get one off of ebay CHEAP! There's really no difference in brand or price, they all do the same thing. Don't waste your money on a name.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Ben
The RSB from cattman looks like a good deal. However, I can't seem to find find a good prcie on the FSTB. Cattman and stillen both want almost $200.
Is a $50 one really a good choice?
Here ya go - $34.99:

http://www.directcarparts.net/product.asp?3=565
Old 06-24-2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by HSVMaxima

Here ya go - $34.99:

http://www.directcarparts.net/product.asp?3=565
Is this a good strut bar? does it look good at least?
Old 06-24-2003, 11:23 AM
MAKSYMALNY

The Stillen RSB costs a lot, but it's top of the line. You don't have to worry about using bushings like the Cattman, and you don't get the 'banging' side effect that *may* occur from the Cattman.

The OTTO FSTB is just as good as the Stillen, for half of the price. The EBay ones have, at times, been know to rub, paint chip or flake, or hit the top of the intake.

IMHO if you are going to do this mod, do it right and spend a little bit of money.

The debate goes on and on... but the difference is this... all of the FSTBs do the same thing (as do the RSBs)... so it is a personal (or financial) choice as to whether or not you like the Stillen or go with the EBay cheapy. It's like buying from Walmart instead of getting the Nikes.

Old 06-24-2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by MAKSYMALNY
The Stillen RSB costs a lot, but it's top of the line. You don't have to worry about using bushings like the Cattman, and you don't get the 'banging' side effect that *may* occur from the Cattman.

The OTTO FSTB is just as good as the Stillen, for half of the price. The EBay ones have, at times, been know to rub, paint chip or flake, or hit the top of the intake.

IMHO if you are going to do this mod, do it right and spend a little bit of money.

The debate goes on and on... but the difference is this... all of the FSTBs do the same thing (as do the RSBs)... so it is a personal (or financial) choice as to whether or not you like the Stillen or go with the EBay cheapy. It's like buying from Walmart instead of getting the Nikes.

I went with Stillen all around....more expensive but no fitment problems, easy installs, looks great and performance definitely improved
...although the RSB tightens up the car beyond the potential of the stock tires...but I'm still happy I did it.....which ever you pick I would recommend doing the FSTB install first
Old 06-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Springs/struts, RSB, FSTB and good tires will make a world of difference when it comes to handling.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:34 PM

wait a minute... you're suggesting that reducing tower flex makes the rear suspension exceed the capabilities of the Potenzas? As if to say that the tower flex was "designed in" as part of the stock tire/suspension package?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i have the OTTO fstb and its perfect and look better than the stillen in my opinion cause the stillen is not polished. But it performs just as good as the stillen
Old 06-24-2003, 11:04 PM

I spent like $30 on a front strut bar and noticed a big difference when I put it on. The handling became much better in the front but rear still pulls out a bit. I will soon get a rear sway bar to even it out.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by jay beede
wait a minute... you're suggesting that reducing tower flex makes the rear suspension exceed the capabilities of the Potenzas? As if to say that the tower flex was "designed in" as part of the stock tire/suspension package?
I'm pretty sure that he was referring to the RSB.

Bob
Old 06-25-2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by jay beede

The Stillen RSB (rear sway bar) makes the rear end so tight, that the crappy Potenzas loose some grip during hard cornering....thats been my before & after experience....
Old 06-25-2003, 07:57 PM
rilla dope

Originally posted by MAKSYMALNY

Bushings eh? Never seen that happen. I happen to think the titanium bar is damn cooler than the Stillen bar in the same price range and had no problems installing on my end
Old 06-25-2003, 07:59 PM

Please tell me where I can find the OTTO FSTB. Do you think it's worth it if I can't afford anything else right now (i.e. springs, shocks)??

Thanks
Old 06-25-2003, 08:01 PM

http://procarparts.com/store/display...MAXIMA%2095-03

OTTO FSTB
Old 06-25-2003, 08:10 PM

oops! I meant RSB.

Thanks!

Originally posted by 2001SE
http://procarparts.com/store/display...MAXIMA%2095-03

OTTO FSTB
Old 06-25-2003, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by kevc5
oops! I meant RSB.

Thanks!

I think other members would agree...do the FSTB first
Old 06-25-2003, 08:20 PM

I have the FSTB aleady..

Originally posted by RC03MAX

I think other members would agree...do the FSTB first
Old 06-25-2003, 08:22 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have 19's with 245's. FSTB, RSB, Tokicos & Maxspeeds.... Its not soft, but it handles like a **** !
Old 06-25-2003, 08:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

otto doesnt make a RSB for our cars i think.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
I have 19's with 245's. FSTB, RSB, Tokicos & Maxspeeds.... Its not soft, but it handles like a **** !
Hey kloogy did you got my PM. Sorry for the OT.I got the OTTO FSTB and Stillen RSB and the car feel very tight,except for the stock rear shocks to be a little bit too soft for me.Well I will get some KYB GR2 later if there was any GD to go with my H&R spring.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Engineer/Inventor/Maximanian

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
Hey kloogy did you got my PM. Sorry for the OT.I got the OTTO FSTB and Stillen RSB and the car feel very tight,except for the stock rear shocks to be a little bit too soft for me.Well I will get some KYB GR2 later if there was any GD to go with my H&R spring.
Hey,

Although I also did the FSTB before the RSB, I saw by far the biggest change in handling with the RSB. What I have found was the worst handling problem of the Max is the sickening roll (weight shift) onto the outside front tire which leads to heavy understeer (front end washout). The FSTB helped improve the steering feel but did little to solve this understeer problem.

Of course this approach makes sense when you consider that the Max does not include any RSB, but has a beefy front anti-roll bar. Adding a rear bar rectifies this problem! FYI I found another whole level of handling improvement with H&R springs and KYB GR-2s.

Good luck on the mods you choose and welcome to the world of performance improvement, its addictive!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by RsMaxMaggie

Hey,

Although I also did the FSTB before the RSB, I saw by far the biggest change in handling with the RSB. What I have found was the worst handling problem of the Max is the sickening roll (weight shift) onto the outside front tire which leads to heavy understeer (front end washout). The FSTB helped improve the steering feel but did little to solve this understeer problem.

Of course this approach makes sense when you consider that the Max does not include any RSB, but has a beefy front anti-roll bar. Adding a rear bar rectifies this problem! FYI I found another whole level of handling improvement with H&R springs and KYB GR-2s.

Good luck on the mods you choose and welcome to the world of performance improvement, its addictive!
Well,I forgot to mention that I also had a Trust RSTB.Now all I need was that KYB GR2 to complete my suspension MODS! LOL!
Old 06-25-2003, 11:32 PM

How hard does everyone's Max ride after lowering? I live in New Orleans and potholes and the streets are just horrible. My car bottoms out every now and then with factory suspension. Will my crappy environment just tear my car up if I change the suspension. It's hard enough to find a nice smooth road to quench the need for speed.