5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

LOUD clicking from engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 07:35 AM

LOUD clicking from engine

Heres the situation folks:
Car running fine, I go into VOB Nissan dealer in Rockville Maryland to get my rear window fixed and oil changed. Car only has 31000 miles so still under full warranty. He orders part for window and tells me oil is changed. I leave drive to my girlfriends house and then back home. Next day I drive to work and after work around 4:30pm I start up my car and there is this loud clicking noise. When I step on the gas the clicking rate increases (speeds up). The noise is really loud so instead of driving it around the corner to the dealer, I call them and tell them to come and tow it, which they do for free. He tells me he is going to look at it the next morning which is today. I don't know much about cars, but when I checked the oil yesterday it looked really light on the dipstick, I told the guy at the dealership that and he said it had oil in it, but he didn't check it. What can this noise be. If it has to do with the oil change I received, what action can I take against the dealer. I don't want a car that I've been driving around with no oil in it, it may have trouble down the road sometime after the warranty is up and I ll have to fit the bill. If he says its going to be a couple of days to fix, can I get a loaner car from them. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:54 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Wait and see what they say the problem is before you jump to conclusions. Fresh oil is light in color and I'm sure there was oil in your car, if not the oil pressure indicator light would have come on.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:05 PM

Dealer says something is hitting inside the piston, says have to open up engine to see. Will take about a week, will not give me a loaner because Nissan does not have a loaner program. So I called Nissan and told them the situation and they are going to look into it. Has anyone else had this problem with getting a loaner when car is under warranty and getting worked on?
Old 06-25-2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by mcfalcons15
Dealer says something is hitting inside the piston, says have to open up engine to see. Will take about a week, will not give me a loaner because Nissan does not have a loaner program. So I called Nissan and told them the situation and they are going to look into it. Has anyone else had this problem with getting a loaner when car is under warranty and getting worked on?
You should be able to get a loaner because the car is in the service for a while and it is not your fault. My dealer does give me loaner cars, but I guess each of them are different.

Also can you tell me what kinda of clicking noise are you getting? I am trying to figure out this creaking/clicking noise I get when engaging in gear and when just driving and hitting the gas.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:22 PM
NT2SHBBY

loaner cars are NOT provided by Nissan and are given out from dealer's out of their pockets.....usually if the car is needed for more than a day, the dealer should hook u up

Old 06-25-2003, 01:24 PM

This clicking noise is very loud, and is continuous until the car is turned off. when you revv the engine up it clicks faster and maybe a little louder. Noticeable by everyone around the car. This is not some little click more like someone hitting your car with a hammer sound real fast.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:37 PM

This clicking noise is very loud, and is continuous until the car is turned off. when you revv the engine up it clicks faster and maybe a little louder. Noticeable by everyone around the car. This is not some little click more like someone hitting your car with a hammer sound real fast.
Hey that sucks. Yeah have different noise. My sounds like something creaking. Doesn't happen when not applying gas.

It started happening after I did the clutch TSB

Good luck fixing your sound. Dealer is still trying to figure out what is causing mine. But I would demand a loaner car from your dealer.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:40 PM

Thanks a lot folks, Im getting it towed to the Nissan dealer in Silver Spring, where the lady I delt with last time said she would give me a loaner. Thanks again fellas.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:25 PM

I not 100% sure but it sounds like you may have valve chatter....if there wasnt enough oil in the car, the sound you described would be valve chatter....

I made the mistake once in a previous car of not putting in enough oil & starting it up and it made alot of valve chatter...

Also, the only thing that could be hitting the piston is a valve

I don't want to sound pessimistic but I hope they didn't screw up your valves by not putting in enough oil..and as for the oil light, when those finally come on -- it's usually too late
Old 06-25-2003, 09:16 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I've talked to several GMs of dealerships. Oil changes arent usually left the best mechanics. They told me that at least once every month or two, the techs would change the oil and forget to add oil, or the plug. Often they wouldnt say a word... but like in your case, it was too obvious and they had to buy engines. Not saying thats your cause, but it does happen.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:41 PM

I called the dealer to day to get an update, he said something like a screw or butterfly? from the mass airflow came loose and went into the engine and was banging on a piston. Says they got parts in and are working on it now. He says they may replace the engine. Can anyone give me some details on what the hell he is talking about? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:04 PM

I guess that's POSSIBLE. If a screw came loose in that area, all it needs to get past is the throttle body to get into your engine.

Not good.

IF that is indeed the case. I'd be either lobbying for a new engine, or an extended warranty.

I called the dealer to day to get an update, he said something like a screw or butterfly? from the mass airflow came loose and went into the engine and was banging on a piston. Says they got parts in and are working on it now. He says they may replace the engine. Can anyone give me some details on what the hell he is talking about? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Bandwagon Lover

I would press for an engine. I honestly don't think Nissan can guarantee you won't have issues from a screw jumping around in a cylinder as this could easily lead to cylinder wall damage leading to oil consumption and possibly eventual failure.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Wait and see what they say the problem is before you jump to conclusions. Fresh oil is light in color and I'm sure there was oil in your car, if not the oil pressure indicator light would have come on.
Unless its a brand new out of the factory , fresh oil or not you will be able to see clear as day.any indication on the dipstick if it has oil at least to the lowest level
Old 07-07-2003, 02:58 PM

Valve chatter/clatter cannot be caused by low oil level. The oil level has nothing to do with valve/piston clearance. If your valves are hitting your piston you have a serious timing issue that would soon lead to engine failure.
If a screw came loose and got sucked into your engine I'd definately go for a new engine. As "Audtatious" said the long term effects of a piece of metal banging around on your cyclinder walls, valves and piston can't be good.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:49 PM

My Max had the exact same noise, I thought something went loose after I bumped into this car that was in front of me and I thought something got dislocated or something. Since I'm out of warrenty I took it to this mechanic that I know and he told me it was my Powersteering pump went out and the pulley pump was all bent up. I lost all my Powersteering fluid on my way to the NE annuel meet in NJ about 3 weeks or month ago go some of the Org member saw all this happening at the rest stop on NJ Turnpike. I was suppose to meet up with some more pple to caravan and that incident happened to me so I had to carpool with one of my org friend to the meet. I left my car at the rest stop and had to get it towed back to Philly biggggg thanx to SE-Ya (Chris) hooked me up with his AAA.......I spent about $750 out of my pocket.....
Old 07-07-2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by brianc
Valve chatter/clatter cannot be caused by low oil level. The oil level has nothing to do with valve/piston clearance. If your valves are hitting your piston you have a serious timing issue that would soon lead to engine failure.
no...but lifter tick in an engine with hydraulic lifters/lash adjusters can be caused by low oil. but unless the oil is waaayy too low it would go away in a second or 2.

i would go for a new engine too.