5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

basslink install--definitive answer for bose

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 12:50 PM

basslink install--definitive answer for bose

Going to install my basslink before the weekend into my BOSE system.

I am going to take out the stock bose sub and mount this basslink in the trunk. I dont think I need to run the 8 gauge power wire or anything since the stock sub was powered and came on when the stereo came on. The shop was telling me that I needed to buy a couple kits, a line level kit and a sub install kit, however, I think all I need I can tap off of the old sub system. Power is there, input is there..

Why would I need to buy these kits again?
Old 07-01-2003, 12:56 PM

The poser wire for the Bose amp is smaller than I would use on speaker wire for Mids. The amp in the Basslink is around 150 - 200 watts. It needs an 8ga minimum to power it. With an amp of that power, you need an inline fuse. I personally would not want to burn out the Bose amp because of a $30 amp kit.

A line level kit (i.e. PAC SNI-35) is something that I have heard is needed. I have one that I could sell you for $15 shipped. Used, but still works. Therefore here are the things that you need for the basslink install IMO.

PAC SNI-35 or similar < 25
8ga Amp install kit < 35
Old 07-01-2003, 01:40 PM

Definitely get the 8 guage kit. Don't use the existing wire.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:37 PM
swallac2

Use 8 gauge power wire. Using the wire in the trunk could and I just say COULD cause a fire if you were to try and draw too much current at one time though it. It may also pop a fuse depending on how Nissan wired it all.

As for tapping a signal, I got mine from the Bose amp in the trunk. The wiring colors and purpose are on Studman's web page. It was much easier to tap it there than run the wires from teh front of teh car.

Old 07-01-2003, 06:20 PM

i have the bose as well, ive been thinking about the basslink...

do you guys really think it makes enough of a difference over the bose sub to justify the expense? ive heard the basslink doesnt really pack that hard of a punch, so im wondering if its really worth the money...
Old 07-01-2003, 07:03 PM
swallac2

Originally posted by bose2000gle
i have the bose as well, ive been thinking about the basslink...

do you guys really think it makes enough of a difference over the bose sub to justify the expense? ive heard the basslink doesnt really pack that hard of a punch, so im wondering if its really worth the money...
I did a Rockford 8 ($40) in a sealed box and hung it from the rear deck (where the old sub was). I'm pushing it with a Rockford 200M ($100) sub amp. With all of the parts and stuff (8 gauge wire fuse holder and fuses and stuff to make the box) it cost me about $200. It hits low and has a much more full sound that the Bose system. I may rebuild the box so that it doesn't hang so low, but as of now it's got .5 cu ft of air space which is what Rockford wants (.1 to .5)

I've never heard the basslink. The idea of an integrated Sub/Amp scares me. What happens if the amp or sub blows, both are gone. And if you ever wish to upgrade the system you have to throw it all out and start over.

Old 07-01-2003, 07:07 PM

Swallac,

I've ran my 8 gauge wire and am ready to hook up the sub to the signal.

What site did you look at to get the wiring diagram on how to do it? Did you need the line level kit, or did the sub come with the wiring you needed?

Thanks

Slag
Old 07-02-2003, 05:32 AM

The basslink is night and day from the bose sub. NO COMPARISON
Old 07-02-2003, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by jmh8
The basslink is night and day from the bose sub. NO COMPARISON
Great. I really need to know if I HAVE to get the pac AOEM-NIS2 adapter to replace the bose sub in my car, or, if i can get a generic line level adapter to make this work, or what I need to do. I've seen several write ups about installing a sub in a non bose system, but none about installing a powered sub in a bose system. According to the basslink instructions, I just need to splice into the speaker wire and go from there to get a signal to my basslink, but others are saying this will blow the Head Unit.....

Infiniti says nothing about needing a line level converter or anything of the sort.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:23 AM

The AOEM-NIS2 is going to be the best thing, but a regular Line level converter will work fine. PACs SNI-35 is a good example, but there are other options available as well. Use the rear channel left and right outputs from the Bose amp in the wiring harness.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:57 AM
lcf

Eh, depending on the type of music that is played, the performance of the Basslink could be more than adequate to disappointing.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 AM

Adequate? This system is great. Great internal amp and fantastic clean/crisp bass. If you listen to BASS music or constant rap, then go with an enclosure. I listen to some rap and it sounds great to me. The nice thing is I can adjust the level accordingly via my remote to handle the appropriate music. It sounds awesome to me. I am very picky too. I have a $3000 home theatre system and didn't want to spend a lot on my car audio, but wasn't happy with the BOSE sub. For $200 the basslink far exceeded my expectations and I still have trunk space. My BOSE highs sound even better now and the whole system is 10X better.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:08 AM
lcf

"more than adequate" = my cynical way of saying 'good'.

Thank you, drive through.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:37 AM

drive though?
Old 07-02-2003, 10:40 AM

i listen to a lot of hip hop, but im not one of those people who wants my bass to be heard a block away, i just want a nice full sound that hits all the lows with no distortion...even if i went with an enclosure, it would be no more than 1 10"...but if i went with an enclosure chances are i would need to spend quite a bit more when taking into account the amp and such, so i was thinking the basslink could be a worthy addition as im not really in the mood to replace my entire audio system....

just yet
Old 07-02-2003, 11:08 AM

EXACTLY
Old 07-02-2003, 11:38 AM
swallac2

Originally posted by slag
Swallac,

I've ran my 8 gauge wire and am ready to hook up the sub to the signal.

What site did you look at to get the wiring diagram on how to do it? Did you need the line level kit, or did the sub come with the wiring you needed?

Thanks

Slag
Here is the link to the wiring colors. The Bose Amp is in the trunk to the right and up under the rear shelf. The connector is ion the back, I just pulled it off and carefully cut the electrical tape back. I used regular old wire taps from Home Depot and 14 gauge speaker wire. I didn't need a line level converter since the amp that I bought had that and the crossover built in. I don't know if the Basslink has the line level or not. I wanna say that it does though.

I know the basslink is easier, but I would really encourage you to consider the 8 in the rear deck. You could even try a free air 8 and avoid building the box. It's you money though dude, and anything you do will be better than the Bose!!

Old 07-02-2003, 11:51 AM

Thanks all.

I bought a line level converter over lunch today from Circuit City for $21.95. Gonna splice it into the wiring and give it a go tonight, time permitting.

The basslink has a line level converter built in, but if it should happen to blow, I'd be screwed, so I bought an external one to use as a sacrificial piece should it go out.