5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

new (used)maxima owner, few questions....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 05:43 AM
CCx

new (used)maxima owner, few questions....

hey all....just got my 00 max SE the other night, 35,000 miles...have a few questions since i've never driven one (hell last time i drove a foreign car was 6 years ago...not by choice!)

1. ive noticed a small rattle coming from underneath the car when i apply the gas in some situations...doesnt happen all the time, seems to be when i'm revving it pretty good...or if say i'm in 4th gears and going 30-40mph it'll start too....very inconsistent, to the point where if i took it to the dealer and we went out and drove for 20 minutes it wouldnt happen but the whole way home without the dealer it'd happen...(isn't that always the case?) i noticed it on 3 out of the 5 max's i test drove so i figured it must not be too bad but when driving with the windows down it's annoying...definitely a rattle..

2. steering feels a little 'loose', maybe this is just switching cars and getting used to it but sometimes like if i hit a bump or an uneven part of the road it feels as if i'm going out of control for a split second...maybe just grip the wheel tighter?

3. braking is okay from slow speeds....from 70+ steering wheel has some definitive back and forth action....car was just inspected in may (so sayeth the nissan dealer), not a warning sign that brakes could be coming up is it?

4. why is it so easy to go 100mph+ in this car...

5. has anyone heard of mastercraft tires? there's a brand new pair of them on the car, havent been able to find anything concerning acceptable wet/dry performance with these tires...

6. when i bought the dealer said they were 'checking the alignment' - the car pulls to the left when pointing straight, should i just go ahead and assume that they did in fact check the alignment, the alignment was off, and they did nothing?

thanks for any help you can give me, as a new maxima owner i'm very happy so far with this car (only been a few days), especially since it has all the options i wanted and it's a stick...oh and pictures can be found here for anyone who wants to see them:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ccxspam/maxima/
Old 07-02-2003, 05:56 AM

can answer some questions...

As for the brake, it is most likely the infamous wraped rotor, since you still have 1000 miles of warranty on it.. run to the Nissan dealer and demand they fix it. Print out the TSB on the top of the page (click on the Techincal Service Bulltine) then find brake.

I will assume the allignment is out also, they said they inspected, it doesn't mean jack... when my gf brought her Max.. they told her that it has ABS.. drove it home.. realized that it actually doesn't... went back.. they just told me that the Nissan tech "inspected" it and think it has ABS
Old 07-02-2003, 08:57 AM
CCx

nice i'm gonna get it aligned real soon, see what all that fixes....it's out of warranty since it's more than three years old....i just cancelled the extended warranty i bought too....$58 a month + $116 down for 18 months for coverage on a lot of things but, compared to the best plan they offered it looks real skeevy so i just said screw it, i'll deal with whatever comes up..

...anyway thanks for the response, anyone else??
Old 07-02-2003, 09:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

get a fstb(front strut tower bar), it will tighten up the steering. I put mine on yesterday and its is great. I got an otto from ebay seller was procarparts 44.99+13.99s&h.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:27 PM
CCx

cool thanks, i'll order one of those soon....

the damn rattling keeps happening, maybe like 5% of the time i hit the gas in any gear...
Old 07-02-2003, 07:13 PM

the rattle sounds like it could be a heat shield--usually near the catalytic converter. try to ignore it, you don't want to get a obsessive about rattles with a maxima... trust me, you don't want to go there.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:25 PM

Hey man I've had the same problem for the past few years on my 2k se so I looked into it. Its not the heat shield at all...its the fuel...yes I know it gets annoying and loud..but there isn't anything nissan or you can do about it expect for one thing....which is costly over time... my nissan (flemington NJ)who are generally good machanics looked at all my fuel parts and said everythign was running great...and to try instead of putting normal gas( 93 octane or lower) to use only sunocco(spelling??) and their 94 octane.....haven't heard the rattling since. hope this helps

z
Old 07-02-2003, 08:16 PM

Re: new (used)maxima owner, few questions....

Originally posted by CCx
2. steering feels a little 'loose', maybe this is just switching cars and getting used to it but sometimes like if i hit a bump or an uneven part of the road it feels as if i'm going out of control for a split second...maybe just grip the wheel tighter?

Does this happen when you're driving straight ahead, or just when going around corners? Both?

Tony
Old 07-02-2003, 08:21 PM
CCx

thanks for the replies everyone, i'm going to try higher octane gas definitely.....was running on the tank from the dealer still, they probably used 87

tony, it happens a lot when there's imperfections in the road at mild cruising speeds and during turns too, the wheel jerks out of control easy....on a straight road, there's some play in the steering wheel, i can move it left/right a fair amount before the wheels catch, just feels real 'loose' is the only word i can think of for it...

..again thank you for the replies
Old 07-02-2003, 08:21 PM

if it is indeed preignition you should be able to make it happen by applying plenty of accelerator whilw in too high a gear. I don't recommend anyone doing this test.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:24 PM

Re: new (used)maxima owner, few questions....

Originally posted by CCx
oh and pictures can be found here for anyone who wants to see them:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ccxspam/maxima/

Your pics....is that Manayunk?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:33 PM
CCx

haha yup, i'm in bala cynwyd on the other side of the river
Old 07-02-2003, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by CCx
tony, it happens a lot when there's imperfections in the road at mild cruising speeds and during turns too, the wheel jerks out of control easy....on a straight road, there's some play in the steering wheel, i can move it left/right a fair amount before the wheels catch, just feels real 'loose' is the only word i can think of for it...

..again thank you for the replies
I noticed this on my car as well. However, I've since changed my tires/wheels, FSTB, RSB & springs. I might guess that you may need new tires, and this may help with the play or the loosness you describe. The rear suspension in our Maximas really suck, and before adding my RSB I always felt like the car was "skipping" accross the road when hitting small bumps around corners.

If your tires need replacing (are they stock?) I would start there and see how much that helps.

Tony
Old 07-02-2003, 09:10 PM

Welcome CCx to the org! I noticed you have non-SE rear talelights. They should be smoked, I would take it to the dealer and make them replace them. Just thought I would let you know. Nice car by the way!!!

Jason
Old 07-03-2003, 04:17 AM
CCx

tony thanks again, there are brand new tires on there but i think they are rather generic, i'll be seeing how well they really perform in the rain and snow during the fall/winter and replacing as needed in that respect -- i'll have my FSTB in a few days and i'm getting aligned today, we'll see how much of an improvement that makes - thank you again for your response!

jason, how do you suppose i got stuck with those tail lights?? i was going to eventually get the clear ones that i see on the '02 and '03 models as well as clear corners, but will definitely ask the dealer what's up since i'm going back there today, thanks!!
Old 07-03-2003, 09:10 AM
CCx

went to the dealer just now, they said they'd be happy to put the smoked tails on but on further inspection i think it looks a little cleaner right now without them, so i'll just wait until i can get the 02/03 clears on there to change them out - thank you again for all the help!