5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Considering defection from my 1998 A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Considering defection from my 1998 A6

I am an extremely active member on AudiWorld.com, a GREAT site for Audi enthusiasts. Unfortunatley, I have become recently disenchanted with my 2.8L V6 in my 83000 mile Audi. It would be tought to get rid of Quattro and my georgous interior, but I would really enjoy a hint of reliablity (with the Audi, I have NONE) and a little scoot scoot. My A6 does the quartermile in over 17 seconds.

This seems like a great place to hang out and share info. I am courting a few 2002s in my area, as well as a 2003 Pontiac Bonneville (for DIRT cheap). Just wanted to let you all know you may have a new member in the not too distant future!
Old 07-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Very sound, Mike

Whether or not you decide on a 2002/3 Maxima - welcome aboard!
Old 07-08-2003, 10:23 AM

You want reliability and your looking at a PONTIAC? Don't shoot yourself in the foot twice, buy the max
Old 07-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Very sound, Mike

I'm driving a Pontiac Vibe now ... seems pretty solid and reliable to me

(e.g. then again it's a Toyota in disquise)
Old 07-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the wlcome. Seems like a very knowledgable board. I have always enjoyed working on my own cars and German (over)engineering proved to be quite the challenge. American outdated everything does not have any appeal but the 3.8 and tons of room do.

I still have yet to test drive a Maxima. I have been entirely submerged in the German car culture. Some would say I had my head up ... er, in the ground. I love Audi, but the weak engine, crazy reliablity issues (have to take off my wheels 3 times a week to confirm all the suspension parts are still in tact) and other costs have taken this car from a joy to drive to the point where I fear putting another mile on her.

The Maxima has a lot of appeal. Do all the 2002s have true Xenons? I want to go into a dealer knwoing more about the car than they do (like I did with the Audi and beleive me, it didnt take much schooling). So any help will be greatly appretiated. Thanks for the warm welcome.

BTW, I am from Buffalo Grove, IL. A suburb 45 mins NW of Chicago.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:51 AM
Very sound, Mike

2k2/3 Maxima's come with HID's standard, though it's not as nice looking as on the Audi's basically because Maxima's don't use projector housings up until the 2004 Model.

There's way too many features and things to note and post here, but if you have a question just ask away.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have looka t Edumunds and a few other sites and they seem fond of the Maxima, especially the new 3.5L engine! How does the car hold up in the rear. Especailly with the solid suspenion in back. Any tendency for the car to hop to the side? Should I start shopping for a sway bar immediatley? Also, The rear pass through or flip down seats look small, if there is one? Do the seats fold? How is the stock sound system? Wattage? Donut spare? Any Aluminum used or problems with rust? Any underbody coating? Rear seat comfort? I know some of this cna be found out by driving the car or checking out more car sites, but you all are the experts with real world experience, so I hope you can give me a few invaluable answers to help steer me in the *right* direction!

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2003, 11:17 AM
BiggD23

Wow, ok I'll try...

Should I start shopping for a sway bar immediatley?
Absolutely.

The rear pass through or flip down seats look small, if there is one? Do the seats fold?
Yes, they both fold down. I believe it's a 60%/40% split.

How is the stock sound system?
I have the BOSE, it's not that good. The rear deck has a rattling problem which I fixed with dynamat, but it's still not that loud. If you really like a good system I would suggest passing on the BOSE and putting the $$ you save towards aftermarket stuff.

Donut spare?
Yes, it's under the trunk floor along with the jack.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally posted by Audidefector
How is the stock sound system?
Well, there's an optional Bose stereo system. I know for a fact that this sounds OK in these year Maximas. However, I don't know about the standard one. Anyone?

Edit: Woops, beat me to it...
Old 07-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Very sound, Mike

Suspension:
On smooth roads, the car handles pretty well. Stable and all. On tight turns it does pretty well with the help of a strut and sway bar. Though even stock it performs adequately.

Once you get on uneven roads the back does have a tendency to jump around. Though still controllable.

Pass-Through
It's a full pass-through not not as big a hole as i had on my old 2000 Civic. A small bookshelf which i could pass through on the Civic won't make it on my Max.

Sound System
It's adequate, I think it's rated at 120w RMS. I first replaced my speakers and added a sub. It sounded a lot better. Though there's no way you can compare it to aftermarket audio systems. It's "OK" at best.

Spare
There is a donut spare, 16" if i'm not mistaken.

Ride and Rust
The ride is quite comfortable. Even in the backseat. Prior to the 5th gen's coming out you'd be hard-pressed to find a comfy and spacious backseat at this price.

I have yet to encounter anyone with rust problems on the Maxima.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:33 AM
CCx

the bose system is pretty awesome for a 'stock' system....of course if you want better you'll have to get aftermarket stuff...the seats do fold, but the width of the actual opening is smaller than the trunk width...i dont sit in the rear seat much while driving but, from what my passengers have said there's no complaints, very roomy, very comfortable, room to spread out

i would reccommend you test drive one immediately, with every available option installed...i think you'll find yourself having a hard time giving the key back to the dealer
Old 07-08-2003, 12:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unfortunate about the small pass thru, but with the ways you guys have built this car up, I may not give the dealer the keys back, rather give them mine in exchange.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the wlcome. Seems like a very knowledgable board. I have always enjoyed working on my own cars and German (over)engineering proved to be quite the challenge. American outdated everything does not have any appeal but the 3.8 and tons of room do.

I still have yet to test drive a Maxima. I have been entirely submerged in the German car culture. Some would say I had my head up ... er, in the ground. I love Audi, but the weak engine, crazy reliablity issues (have to take off my wheels 3 times a week to confirm all the suspension parts are still in tact) and other costs have taken this car from a joy to drive to the point where I fear putting another mile on her.

The Maxima has a lot of appeal. Do all the 2002s have true Xenons? I want to go into a dealer knwoing more about the car than they do (like I did with the Audi and beleive me, it didnt take much schooling). So any help will be greatly appretiated. Thanks for the warm welcome.

BTW, I am from Buffalo Grove, IL. A suburb 45 mins NW of Chicago.
I am in Buffalo Grove, IL also. I have a 2k2.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where are you at? I am near Dundee and Buffalo Grove roads.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:44 PM

Re: Considering defection from my 1998 A6

I am an extremely active member on AudiWorld.com, a GREAT site for Audi enthusiasts. Unfortunatley, I have become recently disenchanted with my 2.8L V6 in my 83000 mile Audi. It would be tought to get rid of Quattro and my georgous interior, but I would really enjoy a hint of reliablity (with the Audi, I have NONE) and a little scoot scoot. My A6 does the quartermile in over 17 seconds.

This seems like a great place to hang out and share info. I am courting a few 2002s in my area, as well as a 2003 Pontiac Bonneville (for DIRT cheap). Just wanted to let you all know you may have a new member in the not too distant future!
in my household there is a both a 2k2 max and a 2.7T A6. if i could afford it, i would opt for the audi. i'm no audi expert, but i hear that reliability is getting much better. if the 2.7T is out of your price range (perhaps a 1 year old model??), the 3.0 is still a little quicker than the 2.8.

comparing the 2.7 to the 2k2 max, outright acceleration is about the same (max has more low end though). but the interior and materials used is incomparable. i feel that if you got very used to the audi quality, you will miss it dearly going to a max. high speed stability is MUCH better in the audi. i think the max is very skittish over bumps - especially with the rear sway bar put in. the audi is also way quieter at speed than the max (maximas have a windnoise/roadnoise problem).

that being said though, the max is definitely a better value. we're all hard pressed to find a car for under 30K that is as luxurious AND performs as well as the max. good luck and happy test driving!
Old 07-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Don't worry, I know all about Audi quality. In our family we have my 1998 2.8 A6, and then my fathers 1999 Audi A8 4.2. His car is amazing, definatley a car we will be holding on to for a long time.

If I were to get another A6 when I have paid off my student loans, I
would surely get the 4.2L engine. The turbos on the earlier 2.7s had a lot of problems. You are right, things are getting better, but I like to work on my car and VW doesn't make their cars user friendly to Americans. Tools are an absolute commodity.

I am young and would almost rather have cloth seatings and I am nervous my outdoors sports will lead to the ultimate demsie of my A6's rear seats. I am trying to convince myself to amabdon the A6, but it is hard to part with such a georgous car.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Banned

I think your best bet at this point is to go test drive the Max. However, make sure you test drive one with all of the options that you want, so that you can test the exact car that you'll be dropping your bills on.

I'm not too familiar with Audi's quirks (just know their basic model line up), but the Max is a killer deal for the $$.

As far as the HIDs are concerned, I think they're awesome. Yeah, the Audi and some of the other makers have projector housings, but if you look at the light thrown to the ground, they're almost identical. I recall reading a thread on either the Acura TL or CL forum where peeps were saying that the Max has one of the best HIDs on the market right now.

By the way, go for the 6sp over the auto!
Old 07-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update:
Just went to the Nissan up the street and test drove a 2001 GXE. I wanted an 02 or 03 but they had none on their lot. The car was well apointed but was a bit disappointing. It was probably because the tires were nearly bald and the brakes had nine degrees of shudder, but I really did not care for the car.

The engine, however had scoot to boot. Definatley put a smile on my face. Needless to say, I will not be getting that car: miles too high, not the equiptment I want, rather have the SE 2002(3) plus, he said they'd start at 19.9. The Salesman seemed nice, just not the right car. I look forward to getting a feel for the cloth seats and the 3.5. I bet that will take my smile from ear to ear.

Thanks for your help guys. I hope to get a great deal on the right car and to become a nissan man soon!
Old 07-08-2003, 06:34 PM

Update:
Just went to the Nissan up the street and test drove a 2001 GXE. I wanted an 02 or 03 but they had none on their lot. The car was well apointed but was a bit disappointing. It was probably because the tires were nearly bald and the brakes had nine degrees of shudder, but I really did not care for the car.

The engine, however had scoot to boot. Definatley put a smile on my face. Needless to say, I will not be getting that car: miles too high, not the equiptment I want, rather have the SE 2002(3) plus, he said they'd start at 19.9. The Salesman seemed nice, just not the right car. I look forward to getting a feel for the cloth seats and the 3.5. I bet that will take my smile from ear to ear.

Thanks for your help guys. I hope to get a great deal on the right car and to become a nissan man soon!
Welcome to the .org and to reliable hi-performance driving!

Definitely check out an '02 or '03, the SE model. You will be very pleased.

The smile on your face will grow when you pass your buddies in their "cars that are hard to pass" on the street or when they are in the shop getting repaired - again and again.

Take good care of your Max, and expect 200,000 miles of trouble free, fast, good-handling fun.

Best wishes!
Old 07-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

C430: What does the last line in your signature mean?
Old 07-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Very sound, Mike

Loosely translated, VQ Power can beat Audi
Old 07-09-2003, 08:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Update:

While the 2000 is the same gen, it really is a different car. Go drive a 2K2/3 and I think you will be much more impressed. That extra .5L really does make a huge difference.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:12 PM
mjg

Re: Considering defection from my 1998 A6

I can be of help, My pops has that a6 quattro, i have the 2k2 max, i have driven both alot. The audi is a nice car, nothing like AWD, but... the 2.8l as u said, leaves a whole lot to be desired. The Max is an entirely different animal, not quite as luxurious, but damn nice for the price, and out performs that slow a6. Mated with a 6 speed, i'm sure you will find the 2002ish maxima a pleasure to own and drive. BTW, I find the a6's interior uncomfortable... that's my opinion, the seats seem very uncomfortable.

As far as reliability, I can't quite compare reliability, the audi's electronic systems in his car have messed up, his is 1998 too. There are already parts of his guage screen thing that are dimming, and going out. The car does burn gas too, with all the time AWD. A few considerations.

get the max!
Old 07-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a 1997SE Maxima (which has a full sized spare with matching alloy wheel). But that doesnt matter. My friend has a 2000 and 2002 Maxima SE, both stick (one 5spd, the other 6spd), I've driven both of his cars and I must say that the 2000 and the 2002 may look similar, but the 02 is a better car. The 6spd manual shifts great, and the clutch is firm, but not too stiff. The car handles very well (although not as well as my 1997 with modified suspension). One thing I do like about his car compared to mine is that it is built better, there are less rattles, less squeaks, and a more solid feel to everything.

Test drive an 02/03 6speed Maxima and then tell us what you think. If I could do it all over again, I would get a 5th gen. BTW: In the east coast there is a large problem with HID thetft, people steal the headlights right off the 02/03's. . .so watch out.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:35 PM

Verprugeln = thrashes
die = the
Audi = Owdy

You know, it's really a shame. Audis are such beautiful cars. Really! The A6 has a similar design flow to the Gen4 Maxima, and A8 is absolutely gorgeous. For all of that money, you'd think there would be some measure of reliability. Perhaps they will try to catch up to the Japanese in engine design, especially to Nissan.

Hard to believe that it's the same company that makes the amazing 911.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:48 PM
LithiuMax

My parents have a 1999 A6 2.8 Quattro, and the only thing I would miss if I switched from the Audi to the Max is the interior and the high speed stability (and the Quattro, of course). Mostly, it would be the interior - holy shiit, the Audi interior is out of control in terms of quality, looks, leather, features, etc etc. You will miss those things dearly when you get a Max.

All that said, I would rather drive the Max.

Old 07-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Get the MAX

I've had my 2000 Max for over 2 years now. I bought it used off my brother with 20k miles. He couldn't keep up with payments.. new house and baby (his loss). This car is the best car I've ever had. I boughy it for $17k and couldn't have been happier. This baby hauls and rides nice and smooth. I fact I often ride with the radio off, just to hear the beautiful sound of the motor (Injen CAI, RSB, FSTB). No major problems if you keep up with maintenance. Now I have 68k miles and had to change the front rotors and brakes. Replaced rear pads. No major problems. You get comfort, performance and value. And you can all those toys. It's hard to beat. I can't ever get myself to spend more that $20,000 for a car. I expect to have my max for another 5 years at least and put on another 100,000 miles. When I finally want to get another car, I'm gonna look into the Nissan dealership for the 2009/10 Max. Can't wait. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Drove 2002 Maxima SE today. Zoom Zoom. That car has scoot to boot. The car I drove had some serious brake rot, but that aside, it was a treat. The interior is a step down, but one I might be willing to take for some serious fun and reliability! Will keep you all up to date as the saga unfolds.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:16 AM

To get things like leather, you have to have Bose...thats the only problem. Nissan packs to many option groups together. If you get leather, you must get Bose and the sunroof on the SE, although GLE's get to have a choice on sunroofs. The beam axle on the Maxima is almost transparent until the shocks get worn down, then you can feel the back end dancing on big bumps.