5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Max vs BMW 330

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 08:33 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by cuda
I know I'm asking for trouble responding to this thread, but I always laugh at these Maxima vs. BMW threads so I figured why not give my opinion. I have a 2002 330, girlfriend has a 2002 SE. I drive them both a lot so I have a ton of experience with both of them (as opposed to just test driving one and comparing it to my car). There is no doubt the 330 is a better built car. That's kind of what you're paying for in addition to the bmw name. And it's not just a name (although some of it I'm sure is) but the quality that goes into those cars is much better than Nissan (take a look at her crappy paint chipped hood for an example). The BMW drives as solid as anything on the road, the engines are awesome, they are extremely safe, and they are beautiful cars. Another thing is everyone wants one so why lower the price? Trust me, I wish they would, but their sales are pretty strong so I don't think a lower price up until this point is necessary on their part. I think with the G35 though, BMW is going to have to work a little bit harder to stay competitive (performance and price-wise) or else they could lose some of their customers. I test drove the 330 and G35 extensively before getting my car and I just liked the 330 better. G35 seemed a little cheap and ugly to me.

The Maxima is a GREAT value and a very, very good car. No doubt about it. When we were looking for cars for her she needed something that was nice but not too expensive b/c she puts a ton of miles on her cars for her job (about 25K a year) and destroys it's value. The Maxima had a great engine, navigation, leather, bose, and she paid about 27K for it as a leftover when the 03s came out. So far she's pretty happy with it except for the SES light, the paint, the tires (potenzas), and the fact that you have to worry 24/7 that the xenons are going to get ripped off.

But, to say the BMW is a pos is just ridiculous and that shows how little you know about cars. I must admit I'm not in love with the leather in the BMWs but the Maxima leather isn't something to brag about (by the way, a lot of BMWs have leatherette, which is a synthetic material since BMWs don't have cloth. It is meant to look a lot like leather, so when you get in a BMW and you're like this leather sucks it might really be the leatherette). Keep in mind that when you talk about 323s, 325s, or even 330s, that's the entry level BMW while the Maxima is Nissan's best car. You're comparing the best Nissan has to offer with an entry level car. I agree with whoever said the 3 shouldn't be compared to a Maxima, the 5 should. But when you are talking BMW vs. Nissan you're talking about 2 different companies with different goals in mind and a different customer base.

Whatever, I like her Maxima and my 330 a lot. I just hate when people start these threads ripping on BMW. BMWs are one of the best cars in the world, and just because your Maxima MAY be a better value doesn't make it a better car.

Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:03 AM

For any of you guys that are into cars (and ultimately being able to REALLY drive a bmw without a salesman with you), I suggest you check out this charity event that bmw has called the ultimate drive for susan g. komen. Pretty much they have a fleet of bmws (325, 330, 530, 540, Z4, X5, 745, and the last time I was there they had a V12 760Li, but there was a 3 hour wait for it so I didn't get to drive it. Unfortunately, no M3s or M5s though). The concept is they have like 15 bmws and for every mile that gets put on them bmw donates a buck to breast cancer.

I love the charity aspect of it, but the real bonus for you is you get to drive the cars. You show up, register, and you can take any of the cars out that you want (if it's a popular car like the 745, you might have to be put on a waiting list). They have about a 10 mile course that they want you to follow on surrounding roads near whatever dealership the event is being held at and they give you the keys and you go...no salesman, completely by yourself. No lie, this is what made me buy the bmw when I was looking for cars. I drove the cars the way I normally would with no pressure and the cars amazed me. I was completely sold. If interested go to bmwusa.com and look under events to see if they will be at any dealerships in your area.

Sorry to take this OT from the Maxima, but I just think with this topic of comparing BMW to the Max I think it's a great way to get a basis for comparison vs. the car you own. And it's for charity too.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I never understood all these BMW v. Maxima threads. In my opinion, BMWs (outside of the M series) aren't made for off the line speed. They are made for a REALLY good combination of very many things that makes them the "Ultimate driving machine" that they are. If you want speed, buy an M3. If you want an outstanding car that is extremely well engineered, is of high quality inside and out, excellent handling/braking, etc, then buy the BMW. My Maxima is good, but if I had the money I would take the BMW any day. I'm only 24 right now, so I don't make a ton of money. When I bought my Maxima 4/2002 it was either that or the 325i. The 325i isn't as fast (not even close), but overall the car is still of very high quality. I had it down to those 2 in all honesty due to head room issues. I'm 6'7" and the BMW actually gave me a little more headroom. But, I went with the Maxima because I'm still young and for the money the Max was the obvious choice. Maybe when I hit 30 or something I will be able to get the BMW. Depends on a lot of different things though... Just my $.02.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by F23A4

If the new 1,2 series and X3 dont come here soon, BMW may price themselves out of the market.

Peace.
I would have to disagree. The 3-series are still selling VERY VERY well. In terms of quality in a BMW, Nissan can't come close to matching it. Handling also, Nissans will not be able to compare. Sure BMW rely's on the 3 series a lot for their profit, but they still have many nice cars out that are selling well. The 5-series, soon replaced with the new one that is already getting great reviews, the X5, and not to mention the M3. All of which are selling great. Magazines still take BMW as the benchmark for all cars. When it comes to performance, they all compare cars to the M3.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:32 PM

nissan maxima = fwd
bmw = rwd

i miss my old car, but i'm enjoying my maxima

thats all i have to say
Old 08-06-2003, 06:31 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by cuda
For any of you guys that are into cars (and ultimately being able to REALLY drive a bmw without a salesman with you), I suggest you check out this charity event that bmw has called the ultimate drive for susan g. komen. Pretty much they have a fleet of bmws (325, 330, 530, 540, Z4, X5, 745, and the last time I was there they had a V12 760Li, but there was a 3 hour wait for it so I didn't get to drive it. Unfortunately, no M3s or M5s though). The concept is they have like 15 bmws and for every mile that gets put on them bmw donates a buck to breast cancer.

I love the charity aspect of it, but the real bonus for you is you get to drive the cars. You show up, register, and you can take any of the cars out that you want (if it's a popular car like the 745, you might have to be put on a waiting list). They have about a 10 mile course that they want you to follow on surrounding roads near whatever dealership the event is being held at and they give you the keys and you go...no salesman, completely by yourself. No lie, this is what made me buy the bmw when I was looking for cars. I drove the cars the way I normally would with no pressure and the cars amazed me. I was completely sold. If interested go to bmwusa.com and look under events to see if they will be at any dealerships in your area.

Sorry to take this OT from the Maxima, but I just think with this topic of comparing BMW to the Max I think it's a great way to get a basis for comparison vs. the car you own. And it's for charity too.
Yup, I've done it for 3 yrs so far...my only real hands-on experience with BMWs. I won't wait for an M...I just go with the 5-spds they have available.
Great time and for a good cause.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:09 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by ChrisK327
I'm not sure why you shouldn't compare the two. If you're talking about street racing... yeah you're right, I'll pass on all the street boasts etc etc... BORING and pointless (to me). But as cars, they are similar in purpose. The BMW may be a higher quality car with a luxuary nameplate. And given they were the same price, I might be driving one right now... but I digress. They are both 6 cyl sport sedans. They have similar purposes and people who are shopping the Maxima have at least considered the Bimmer. I would not say the Maxima all out is a totally better car than the BMW. The Maxima is Bigger It is faster than a normal 330. Niether of which would matter that much to me except the maxima is considerably cheaper to buy, own and maintain.
Your logic suggests that every 2-dr/8-cyl car is the same; I wouldn't dare compare a Z06 to a 360 Modena. Ferrari and Chevy approach building cars in their own ways.

Similarly, BMW & Nissan differ in their philosophies when it comes to building cars.

The Maxima and 3-series are not meant to compete with each other: I have never seen a "useless" mag report comparing the two.
The Max usually goes up against other FWD midsize cars: Carmy, Accord, Taurus, Impala, Intrigue, Grand Prix, Passat, etc.
The 3-series usually goes up against other RWD compact cars: C-class, IS300, A4; the only reason the G35 is competing with it is because it's RWD and same/lesser price. Offering more power and size for less/same (as if nothing's got to give).
Old 08-06-2003, 07:19 AM
jjs

Originally posted by CoolMax

Your logic suggests that every 2-dr/8-cyl car is the same; I wouldn't dare compare a Z06 to a 360 Modena. Ferrari and Chevy approach building cars in their own ways.

Similarly, BMW &amp; Nissan differ in their philosophies when it comes to building cars.

The Maxima and 3-series are not meant to compete with each other: I have never seen a &quot;useless&quot; mag report comparing the two.
The Max usually goes up against other FWD midsize cars: Carmy, Accord, Taurus, Impala, Intrigue, Grand Prix, Passat, etc.
The 3-series usually goes up against other RWD compact cars: C-class, IS300, A4; the only reason the G35 is competing with it is because it's RWD and same/lesser price. Offering more power and size for less/same (as if nothing's got to give).
Not to be picky, but your logic is flawed more than his.

Looking at the 330 and the Max they are indeed more similar in concept (albeit not drivelines) and only about $10K apart.

Your example does not bear scrutiny since the cars you chose are $100K+ apart in price. No kidding they have different philosophies, etc.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:25 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by jjs

Not to be picky, but your logic is flawed more than his.

Looking at the 330 and the Max they are indeed more similar in concept (albeit not drivelines) and only about $10K apart.

Your example does not bear scrutiny since the cars you chose are $100K+ apart in price. No kidding they have different philosophies, etc.
Appreciated.

$10k ain't chump change in this price range. heck, that's the price difference between a Max and Civic.

I drew the $100k example to show how all cars are not the same regardless of their engine and door.s
Old 08-06-2003, 07:29 AM
jjs

Appreciated.

$10k ain't chump change in this price range. heck, that's the price difference between a Max and Civic.

I drew the $100k example to show how all cars are not the same regardless of their engine and door.s
Glad you didn't take it as a personal assualt! I knew where you were going with your point.

Although it is interesting if you add up different tires, wheels, springs, shocks, etc. that some people pay for to lessen the handling dffereneces between the cars...a chunk of that $10K difference has magically disappeared!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:06 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by jjs

Glad you didn't take it as a personal assualt! I knew where you were going with your point.

Although it is interesting if you add up different tires, wheels, springs, shocks, etc. that some people pay for to lessen the handling dffereneces between the cars...a chunk of that $10K difference has magically disappeared!

It's sometimes shocking how much some people spend to do it. But the joy of modding a demure-looking family sedan to suit your tastes is priceless.

Personally, with the same money, I'd take the slower BMW and make more off the resale (granted the maintenance doesn't dip into it too much...I believe that BMW offers free scheduled maintenance though). Of course I wouldn't be able to mod the thing, but it's hard to resist the mod bug...I'd end up "splurging" on clear corners!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:26 AM
jjs

Personally, with the same money, I'd take the slower BMW and make more off the resale (granted the maintenance doesn't dip into it too much...I believe that BMW offers free scheduled maintenance though). Of course I wouldn't be able to mod the thing, but it's hard to resist the mod bug...I'd end up &quot;splurging&quot; on clear corners!
I would have to plan on hanging onto the clear corner $$$ for when the warranty expires and things really get ugly.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:07 AM

The whole reliability problem stemmed mostly from the 80's models. My 92 525i ran perfect for 10-11 years. Only problem I had was the trans starting to slip. <--my fault, I loved sport/manual mode. Anyway, they are wonderful cars, with wonderful driving manners. But yes, they do cost more. I think we could beat this subject into submission if we wanted to. The fact is the maxima and 330i are different cars.