5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Problem with 99' production model 5th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 09:10 PM

Problem with 99' production model 5th Gen

Hello orgers,

I have a 2K Max that was purchased in the summer of 99’. I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problem with similar production year Maximas.

Okay, the sound I am talking about is a rattling noise that comes around the 2200-2300 RPM area. I experience the sounds while gradually accelerating from start (about 1st and 2nd gear in a Auto). I initially thought it was an improper valve in the exhaust, however, while changing over to a 2K2 SE muffler, I realized that this wasn’t the answer. I do not know enough about my max, but, was hoping someone else out there is experiencing similar issues.

Question, Does a Cat Back rattle?

The sound I get is not a “bees in a can” type sound. It feels like a valve of some sort is not opperating properly. Has anyone zeroed in on this problem? If you have any input, please share your comments and answers.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:38 PM

holy **** man.....i have the same sound and didnt know how to explain it...i hope someone knows something....
Old 08-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Kind of hard man...my bet is an exhaust rattle of some sort.

Jack up the car and use your feet to move the exhaust as hard as you can. Start at the front and work your way back. Anything close to a bracket, heat shield, or underbody is going to rattle in motion as the exhaust moves around.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2003, 10:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It will end up being a heat shield or something like that, here's why...

I never have had a "rattling" noise as you describe, but the way the exhaust is tuned on a stock max (I bought mine 8/99), there is a reverberation that is produced between 2200-2400. It is simply the way the whole system is tuned. If anything is loose, whether a shield or something with a cat or elsewhere, it's going to pick up that vibration. It is really strong, but I never had anything rattle. You're not crazy for hearing it, I always thought it was annoying too.

Recently, I have switched to a Random Tech Cat, and a Cattman cat-back system. Now that vibration doesn't occur, for the exhaust is tuned differently.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2003, 08:03 AM

Does this rattle make you feel like your loosing power, because if you feel that its something completly diffrent.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by zman187
Does this rattle make you feel like your loosing power, because if you feel that its something completly diffrent.
To some degree yes. I have noticed more noise when using regular 87' and 89' octane gasoline. When I fill up with 93', the sound is at its minimum. Talk about weird. I feel a power loss because, when the rattling occurs, I keep the throttle at about 22-2400 rpms for a few seconds. The sound gets to be very loud at times, and I feel awkward driving other people around with my windows down.

I will put the car on ramps tomorrow and start shaking my exhaust.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:11 AM

Re: Problem with 99' production model 5th Gen

Originally posted by slowlane
Hello orgers,

I have a 2K Max that was purchased in the summer of 99’. I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problem with similar production year Maximas.

Okay, the sound I am talking about is a rattling noise that comes around the 2200-2300 RPM area. I experience the sounds while gradually accelerating from start (about 1st and 2nd gear in a Auto). I initially thought it was an improper valve in the exhaust, however, while changing over to a 2K2 SE muffler, I realized that this wasn’t the answer. I do not know enough about my max, but, was hoping someone else out there is experiencing similar issues.

Question, Does a Cat Back rattle?

The sound I get is not a “bees in a can” type sound. It feels like a valve of some sort is not opperating properly. Has anyone zeroed in on this problem? If you have any input, please share your comments and answers.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by slowlane

To some degree yes. I have noticed more noise when using regular 87' and 89' octane gasoline. When I fill up with 93', the sound is at its minimum. Talk about weird. I feel a power loss because, when the rattling occurs, I keep the throttle at about 22-2400 rpms for a few seconds. The sound gets to be very loud at times, and I feel awkward driving other people around with my windows down.

I will put the car on ramps tomorrow and start shaking my exhaust.
This describes it to a T...
Old 08-09-2003, 12:00 PM

A lot of people have this, as do I. Its the fuel system with these cars. I keep mine at 94 and the sound usually never happens. I've heard it happens a lot more on manual cars. Don't know why but thats what I've heard. Becides for the gas there isn't a thing you can really do except get a whole new fuel system. I don't even know if that would help. What I would do is go get fuel system cleaner and dump it in and see what happens...it helped me out a little

z
Old 08-09-2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by zman187
A lot of people have this, as do I. Its the fuel system with these cars. I keep mine at 94 and the sound usually never happens. I've heard it happens a lot more on manual cars. Don't know why but thats what I've heard. Becides for the gas there isn't a thing you can really do except get a whole new fuel system. I don't even know if that would help. What I would do is go get fuel system cleaner and dump it in and see what happens...it helped me out a little

z
The manual says to stay away from fuel cleaners, i.e. STP and other additives. I learned that after I used an octane booster. Stay away from Octane Boosters ane the like, they do more harm than good.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:51 PM

good info to know thank you than try high octane all the time like I do it seems to help
Old 09-03-2003, 11:48 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but it sounds like a classic case of spark-knock. If you read your manual, it says to ALWAYS use premium gas. The way that these engines are designed, if you use regular, your car will spark knock, which can be extremely bad for your engine. Just bite the bullet and start using premium all the time and you should be fine, unless you've aready done damage. I don;t know how long you can get away with it.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:10 AM

Our 2k was a july 2k build and it experienced a similar problem between 1500-4000 RPM at the max, most of the time it was between 2500 and 3500 RPMS and the car WAS COLD and COLDER WAS LOUDER. 10 trips to an incompetent dealer (Nissan North of Columbus where we mistakenly purchased the car), contacted NNA (no help but got GOLD extended warranty) and the Ohio AG office then the BBB. Finally got a zone rep to come in and look at the car. They installed new coil packs (problem on early 2k but did to be safe), new y-pipe (again early 2k prob but did to eliminate), and other things..... what it eventually was located was a power steering hose that vibrated against an exhaust heat shield. They adjusted the heatshield and it's been quiet for 9 months.

Check that out...
Old 09-04-2003, 08:24 AM

I just had a similar rattle in the muffler on my truck, 97 Trooper. It was caused by one of the internal baffles coming loose. Slapped on a new muffler no more buzz.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by HerBlue2kSE
Our 2k was a july 2k build and it experienced a similar problem between 1500-4000 RPM at the max, most of the time it was between 2500 and 3500 RPMS and the car WAS COLD and COLDER WAS LOUDER. 10 trips to an incompetent dealer (Nissan North of Columbus where we mistakenly purchased the car), contacted NNA (no help but got GOLD extended warranty) and the Ohio AG office then the BBB. Finally got a zone rep to come in and look at the car. They installed new coil packs (problem on early 2k but did to be safe), new y-pipe (again early 2k prob but did to eliminate), and other things..... what it eventually was located was a power steering hose that vibrated against an exhaust heat shield. They adjusted the heatshield and it's been quiet for 9 months.

Check that out...
Wow, thanks for all the help. Your right about the sound being louder on cold starts. I will have to locate the power steering hose and perhaps investigate if its that is indeed the source.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:26 PM
lcf

Originally Posted by mad2kmax
I don't know about anyone else, but it sounds like a classic case of spark-knock.
He seems to be saying that it's coming from the rear of the car though and that it occurs even with a "gradual start" as he put it.

Knocking usually occurs under 3/4 or greater throttle and when the car is under heavy load, i.e., driving up a hill with 4 adults in the vehicle.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by slowlane
Wow, thanks for all the help. Your right about the sound being louder on cold starts. I will have to locate the power steering hose and perhaps investigate if its that is indeed the source.
Let me know how it goes... the sounds drove my wife insane and then it turn she drove me insane! Not a good thing......

I don't know where exactly it was but it sounded like it was right behind the glove box on the passenger side.

Email or PM if you have any more questions.

Travis