5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone try the Sub Solutions 6 1/2" sub box?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 09:03 PM

Anyone try the Sub Solutions 6 1/2" sub box?

Has anyone bought, installed and tested the single (or dual) 6 1/2" bandpass sub box from Sub Solutions designed specifically for the max?

I was supposed to by it a while ago, but ran into money problems. So I was wondering if anyone picked one up.

I welcome your feedback on installation, quality but most of all sound quality and volume.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pm Asu174 for more detailed feedback on this, he used yo have one...
Old 08-11-2003, 11:03 AM

Will do. thanks!
Old 08-11-2003, 07:47 PM

Re: Anyone try the Sub Solutions 6 1/2" sub box?

I bought one 3 weeks ago after seeing one in a 4th gen.I bought the single driver box and this thing is sweet addition to my Bose system.A friend of mine has a new version of the dual driver box.Thumbs up on both of our boxes!!
Old 08-11-2003, 07:56 PM

Is it loud enough? Deep enough? hits hard enough?

I personally dont think so. For its size, its pretty damn good BUT personally for MY taste, id want more. This is just MY .02
Old 08-11-2003, 08:08 PM

If you listen to real music ,it sounds great.I saw one in Brian Catts(Cattman Performance) '97 SE.They hit well,stage nicely and add some nice ambience to your system.If you listen to Rap music,you might want to get a ...gag..sputter ....choke...sealed box,cuz if you listen to awful music,you need awful bass to go with it.These boxes maximize your trunk space,yet give you solid bass.I use my trunk for golf clubs,carrying files and supplies for work and this box doesn't interfere with my usage.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by zcarmaniac
If you listen to real music ,it sounds great.I saw one in Brian Catts(Cattman Performance) '97 SE.They hit well,stage nicely and add some nice ambience to your system.If you listen to Rap music,you might want to get a ...gag..sputter ....choke...sealed box,cuz if you listen to awful music,you need awful bass to go with it.These boxes maximize your trunk space,yet give you solid bass.I use my trunk for golf clubs,carrying files and supplies for work and this box doesn't interfere with my usage.
Real music?? SO rap, ect.. is fake music now? Ok how about this im not going to argue with you based on what you think is "real" music or not, thats pointless and a waste of time. What you dont have is an understanding of what a true sound system really is. Check out www.caraudioforum.com and you'll see what I mean. I dont want to sit here and bash Dave's product when he had to go through the process of making, marketing, ect. Ive met Dave and hes a pretty cool guy, im not out to bash his product in any way. Im just saying got MY taste its not enough, plain and simple. Its about as strong as an Infiniti basslink which isnt that bad to be honest.
Stupid loud bass, is something of the sorts of a system thats 2000+ watts rms which is complete overkill.
Click Here and check out that reveiw. Thats just one speaker, I personally am thinking of getting that sub but running it with just 800rms which should be MORE then enough. That sub is monster, yet when it somes to sound quality it delivers. Is it overkill...YES! but it doesnt mean your gonna have it cranked up that loud all the time, but it sure is nice to know when you want it, its there.
Im not a basshead but do stive more for SQ, regardless of what type of music I listen to...

Now will that setup take more room, well yeah its a 15" speaker but its only needs 1.5cu.ft to operate so basically the only part of my trunk that will be taken up is about 1ft of the rear and the rest will still be open. Even if I decide to port it, its not problem. Look at Kloogy's setup. Yea the spare it lost, but still has alot of trunk space to spare, Asu174's new setup has only one 12" but trunk space is still intact. The box ill have to run will just take up the small part in the front of the trunk so im not worried. To each his own man, like I said this is what I like, it doesnt me you have to but respect it.

btw-sorry for the long @ss reply...
Old 08-18-2003, 12:51 PM

Hitman,Sorry I took so long to respond,but I do know what good sound is.I've had a car in the IASCA Nationals. While I don't consider myself Joe Stereo God,I have a damn good idea about what "good stereo"is.To each their own as far as the music choices go.I was just illustrating a point,and that was that this would appeal to an audiophile to a moderate basshead,but not to the groundpounding,rap music,Clear corner crowd.Believe it or not,I actually have younger friends that are in to this and we try not to slam each other on these issues,because we all love our Maxi's in all shapes and styles.And if you save these postings until you're 35 years young or so,you'll probably have a completely different opinion.And don't slam (which I don't think that you were doing)products that you wouldn't have in your car.It takes all types.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:04 AM

I can respect that, your probably right about having a totally diff opinion once I hit 35 yrs young but im quite a bit away from that... (I thought you were 41 maybe 42 by now ) ...I can see were your coming from though and thats understandable. Ive only seen one guy who was 40+ driving a car with an insane system in his daily driver.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:47 AM

Yeah,and that guy is David Hill,who will probably be hauling around a 12 foot subwoofer in an enclosed trailer ported into the back of a Chevy van when he is like 80 years old.Some people never grow up.Be careful with your system,though,because I lost most of my hearing in my left ear from crankin' it.Anyway,Enjoy the Ride!
Old 08-25-2003, 11:06 AM

I could have sworn you and him were one in the same You do bring up a good point about the hearing thing though, I did not take that into consideration... Maybe Ill just get the 12"
Take care man.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:36 PM

I am the same as who? I don't know what you are talking about hitman but I am me last time I checked. I will be at the car show in gilbert on fri will have a 4 driver box to play in my 02 if you want to hear it (that is anyone in AZ)will have pics soon as I get my camara back from getting fixed
Old 08-26-2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by subdocmax
I am the same as who? I don't know what you are talking about hitman but I am me last time I checked. I will be at the car show in gilbert on fri will have a 4 driver box to play in my 02 if you want to hear it (that is anyone in AZ)will have pics soon as I get my camara back from getting fixed
Dave, dont pull that stuff on me What car show