5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Trying to decide: Keep 5th Gen or get 6th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 09:12 PM

Trying to decide: Keep 5th Gen or get 6th Gen?

I am thinking of trading my 5th gen in and getting a 6th gen. I am considering to take this route because the 5th gen is giving me lots of problems, it doesn't handle particularly well, doesn't have dvd navi, and the suspension is way too soft.

But on the other hand, the 5th gen has truly better looks, louder bass on the bose system (especially after i fixed the rattle), and it is built in Japan.

Now, here's what I can do. Keep the 5th gen and do suspension upgrades to get that better feel, or, return it and re-lease the new maxima.

It has to be another Nissan since I want to end the lease early.

Please give me some insight on which path to take!
Old 08-16-2003, 09:39 PM

get 6th gen and modify grille
Old 08-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Cheesing away...

The 6th gen has grown on me alot, I like them now, I say go for one one of those.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well the fact thats its built in japan has nothing to do with the quality of the car. Cars built in the USA are every bit as good as foreign cars, people really need to stop thinking that way. Foreign cars are actually becoming cheaper nowadays anyways...

As for the 5th gens suspension being soft, ever driven a 6th gen?! WAY soft suspension. Its not a sports sedan by any means, its porky, big, i mean its grown up into more of a family car...

Its all on you whether to trade it in, if it was up to me, i would just wait one model year, as new-released models tend to have more recalls/problems in the first year since the model is still new and really hasnt been tested...

Oh yeah, and the 6th gen is slower...

Eric
Old 08-16-2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
Well the fact thats its built in japan has nothing to do with the quality of the car. Cars built in the USA are every bit as good as foreign cars, people really need to stop thinking that way. Foreign cars are actually becoming cheaper nowadays anyways...

As for the 5th gens suspension being soft, ever driven a 6th gen?! WAY soft suspension. Its not a sports sedan by any means, its porky, big, i mean its grown up into more of a family car...

Its all on you whether to trade it in, if it was up to me, i would just wait one model year, as new-released models tend to have more recalls/problems in the first year since the model is still new and really hasnt been tested...

Eric
yeah, I know it's slower but it didn't feel like it, and the suspension seemed a little stiffer
Old 08-16-2003, 10:19 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by 2M0A0X2

yeah, I know it's slower but it didn't feel like it, and the suspension seemed a little stiffer
in either case u know u can do many things to fix those small problems and the 6th gen has grown on me a lot. The grille needs changing and car looks hot. I would rather just get a high scale navigation screen system instead of probably putting in a good 10,000 into a 6th gen
Old 08-17-2003, 05:25 PM

Eric
I guess it's a case-by-case thing. Made in USA does not mean junk, nor does it mean that it's good. Look at the Trail Blazer--pretty much all black circles in Consumer Reports. Look at the BMW X5--same deal, all black circles. Made in China also does not mean junk anymore either--if it weren't for Chinese components high-end pc's would still be $3000 instead of $700 to $1000. But given the price of the maxima, it's a bit hokey to me to build it in TN (we're talking over 30 grand).

I guess this early termination of leases is a new thing, I wouldn't have believed it but a chick at work has done it twice in the last 12 months with Hondas, from an Accord sedan to coupe to Pilot. You'd think someone like her boyfriend would tell her about fiscal responsibility, but the dealerships are able to convince people that they don't lose any money when they switch, they only pay for what they used up while they had it. YEAH RIGHT!!!

A lease is a terrific thing for the lessor--just as renting an apartment is good for the landlord or real estate co. Usually when you get someone to agree to a rip-off price and terms, you don't let them out of the agreement just because they changed their minds. Ahhh....but if they agree to enter into a new and more expensive contract with you, why not? It's more money for you!
Old 08-18-2003, 08:00 PM

You people all say its slower but ive read of 2 peeps who claim it feels faster. I ran my 6 speed at a 14.8 first time out with it with 32 psi all around, no spare removed. Temps were about 80 with high humidity. I know this car can do wayyy better. I also raced my Gf's 02 auto from a roll and killed her, but thats not saying much. anyways just felt like sharing... Later
Old 08-18-2003, 08:13 PM

Yeah, it may FEEL faster, but it definately isnt. You have to realize its hauling around at least a hundred pounds (to 200) of extra weight with no power gains. I highly doubt their 265hp claims, just as their 255hp on the 02-03. Even so, 10hp over the 03 isnt gonna yeild faster times...

Your race has so many variables. My friends 96 SE auto can stay next to mine (same mods, except Juice) in certain gears, at certain speeds, but other times (like on a launch) i will eat him alive by over 2 cars....

Eric
Old 08-18-2003, 08:19 PM

Do what you want to do we cant decide for you, you have to deal with it everyday we dont.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:26 PM
Dev

Yeah, it may FEEL faster, but it definately isnt. You have to realize its hauling around at least a hundred pounds (to 200) of extra weight with no power gains. I highly doubt their 265hp claims, just as their 255hp on the 02-03. Even so, 10hp over the 03 isnt gonna yeild faster times...

Your race has so many variables. My friends 96 SE auto can stay next to mine (same mods, except Juice) in certain gears, at certain speeds, but other times (like on a launch) i will eat him alive by over 2 cars....
are we talking about auto or stick?
for auto, i thought the 6th gen comes with a 5spd auto, so with shorter gear ratios, it should be a bit faster, putting the weight and extra hp aside.

here's my opinion...the 6th gen looks much better than the 5th. they took the altima platform, which is what the should have done from day one...nissan finally realized their mistake with the 5th gen body style.

yes the grill looks ugly, but that shouldn't be hard at all to change. and seeing how thats the only weak point in its appearance, there should soon be a few aftermarket grills to choose from.

at least they chucked out the altezza-type tails and threw on a dual exhaust and some 18's with the 6th gen.

all in all...if money's not an issue, go for the 6th gen.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Dev

are we talking about auto or stick?
for auto, i thought the 6th gen comes with a 5spd auto, so with shorter gear ratios, it should be a bit faster, putting the weight and extra hp aside.

here's my opinion...the 6th gen looks much better than the 5th. they took the altima platform, which is what the should have done from day one...nissan finally realized their mistake with the 5th gen body style.

yes the grill looks ugly, but that shouldn't be hard at all to change. and seeing how thats the only weak point in its appearance, there should soon be a few aftermarket grills to choose from.

at least they chucked out the altezza-type tails and threw on a dual exhaust and some 18's with the 6th gen.

all in all...if money's not an issue, go for the 6th gen.
5sp auto i believe is only available on the SE, while the SL makes do with a slushier, more "relaxed" shifting 4spd. I agree about the 18s and the duals, its about time. Im even getting used to the grill, i cant help but almost break my neck everytime i see an 04 fly past me.

Eric
Old 08-18-2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Glude
You people all say its slower but ive read of 2 peeps who claim it feels faster. I ran my 6 speed at a 14.8 first time out with it with 32 psi all around, no spare removed. Temps were about 80 with high humidity. I know this car can do wayyy better. I also raced my Gf's 02 auto from a roll and killed her, but thats not saying much. anyways just felt like sharing... Later
The magazines are getting better times with the 5th gens, but it is a minor difference.

The car is a lot of fun, good luck with your choice.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:13 AM

The salesman at the dealership is phoning me tommorow, well, actually today now (it's 12:53am), and telling me the buyout right now. If I don't hae to pay more than 3000 bucks for the new one, I think I will get it.

And yeah, I think the reason why it felt faster is because the Auto in my 2k2 is 4 speed, while the auto in the 2k4 is a 5 speed with sport shift. I shifted down while I was passing cars and accelerating during the test drive. That's likely why.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Trying to decide: Keep 5th Gen or get 6th Gen?

Originally posted by 2M0A0X2
I am thinking of trading my 5th gen in and getting a 6th gen. I am considering to take this route because the 5th gen is giving me lots of problems, it doesn't handle particularly well, doesn't have dvd navi, and the suspension is way too soft.

But on the other hand, the 5th gen has truly better looks, louder bass on the bose system (especially after i fixed the rattle), and it is built in Japan.

Now, here's what I can do. Keep the 5th gen and do suspension upgrades to get that better feel, or, return it and re-lease the new maxima.

It has to be another Nissan since I want to end the lease early.

Please give me some insight on which path to take!
are you now leasing the 5th gen? if so, then how can you do suspension upgrades to it? it is not your car. if you upgrade the parts, then you must keep the car until it is payed for.

overall, drive both cars. your gut will tell you what is the truth for YOU. good luck.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Boost.....

G35
Old 08-19-2003, 01:28 PM

Re: Re: Trying to decide: Keep 5th Gen or get 6th Gen?

Originally posted by bonzelite

are you now leasing the 5th gen? if so, then how can you do suspension upgrades to it? it is not your car. if you upgrade the parts, then you must keep the car until it is payed for.

overall, drive both cars. your gut will tell you what is the truth for YOU. good luck.
yeah, if I do suspension mods, I'll be buying the car out. So it doesn't matter if I leased it or not.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

it's a bit hokey to me to build it in TN (we're talking over 30 grand).

the hell you say!!!

livin' it up in Franklin, TN
Old 08-19-2003, 02:54 PM

stay 5th gen!!
actually i'd save some money and buy a 4th gen.. the best maximas

I don't like the 2002+

my ideal maxima still relatively new would be a 2k1 20th anniversary.
probably my next car.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:41 PM

4th gen is not an option for me, I only absolutely love 5th and 6th gens
Old 08-19-2003, 08:23 PM

if looks could kill... can you make the lease deal cover an infiniti fx-35? It is better looking than Gen6 maxima and have you heard the stock exhaust on that thing?
Old 08-19-2003, 08:47 PM

I just don't like the 6th Gen looks.

I would stay with the 5th Gen all the way.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by jay beede
if looks could kill... can you make the lease deal cover an infiniti fx-35? It is better looking than Gen6 maxima and have you heard the stock exhaust on that thing?
nahh, dealership won't end lease early if I'm not buying another car from them
Old 08-20-2003, 01:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

3rd, 4th, and 5th gens sort of form an overall maxima sport sedan shape/identity. the 6th gen breaches that.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Padsy
G35
I agree. I'd go w/the coupe though since sedan has a hideous rear if you ask me.

The market has changed a lot ever since it came on the market, along w/the redesign of the Accord and the new Mazda 6.