5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Airbag Light Blinking

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 01:33 PM

Airbag Light Blinking

While installing my stereo this weekend, I pulled out the glove box, and it fell downward, pulling the airbag harnesses with it. I don't know what happened exactly, but I think I pulled the wires partially our from the harness. I went to Kragen and bought a new 4-wire harness and hooked it all back up. I'm seeing 12v across all 4 wires now so everything looks good..

But the darned light in the gauge cluster keeps blinking.. I've unplugged the negative battery terminal (to reset the ECU I think) and nothing changed, it still blinks when I turn my car on and drive around..

HELP!! Now I'm worried Nissan won't "reset" it or fix it cuz I replaced the harness.. CRAP!!!

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Old 08-24-2003, 03:12 PM

theres a different way to reset the airbag computer.. i dont know how to do it for the maxima though... someone with a factory service manual should be able to help
Old 08-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Honestly I dont know how to do this, cause I got the same problem. This was from back when my stereo got stolen and they cut all my harnesses under my driver's seat. They fixed it, now its back. The OBDII doesnt reset it, I dont even know if we can reset it, I think only a dealer can. Honestly dont know if it can be reset, I think its usually a part that has to be replaced.

Dixit
Old 08-24-2003, 06:24 PM

I read in the manual that it could either be cause of the front airbags, side airbags, or seat belt tensioner thing. My seatbelts tension up under pressure, so I'm confident that isn't it, but the airbags, I don't know about.. I'm afraid to dig any deeper into the dash and check on the airbags, so I guess I will call Nissan tomorrow and see what they think..

Anyone else have an idea??
Old 08-25-2003, 09:26 AM

Fudge, so I called Nissan Service. They said they would have to inspect it in order to reset it. They said that since I was "messing with my stereo" they would need to diagnose it first and that would be $103. Then if they need to fix it, it would cost more, depending on parts/labor.

I'm pretty confident nothing is wrong. My mistake was turning the car on without fixing the wiring first, so it set the "trigger" to turn on the SRS light. Now it won't go off, unless I reset it.

So how does one reset it??? HELP!! :\
Old 08-25-2003, 11:13 AM

I just found this while searching some other forums:

Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button, a button which is
pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door
Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7
seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF.
Close the driver's door. Start the engine.

Possible causes for this warning light to go on include...
- a fault with the Air Bag.
- abnormally low voltage in the electrical system due to a weak battery.
- a maladjusted door striker plate such that the door does not close properly,
and the DDS is jiggled on and off constantly as you drive.

I'm gonna go try it in a few and see if it helps.. I hope to God it does..
Old 08-25-2003, 11:21 AM

UFCK, that didn't work. I tried it 4 times. GRRRRRRRRR!!!

There's gotta be a way.. I checked the fuse and it looks good. I unplugged the negative for a while and that didn't reset it.. Any other ideas????

I see that Acura/Honda have a special $4 tool (just a jumper). Must be nice.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:29 AM

OK, so I'm thinking now that there still must be a problem...

HMMMM....

What else could be wrong? There's only one airbag fuse that is labelled under the dash. None in the engine bay for 'airbag' or 'srs'....

HMMMMM..

I wonder if some other wire got pulled loose way up under there??

UFCK!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by maxcosity
OK, so I'm thinking now that there still must be a problem...

HMMMM....

What else could be wrong? There's only one airbag fuse that is labelled under the dash. None in the engine bay for 'airbag' or 'srs'....

HMMMMM..

I wonder if some other wire got pulled loose way up under there??

UFCK!!!
I had this happen to me when I installed my stereo system. If you apply power to the car with the airbags disconnected it sends a signal to the computer that something is wrong with the airbag. Even after you hook everything back the computer still has the signal. Only way to reset this is by the dealership. Took them like a minute to reset it and charged me $65.00 for it. You can either live with the flashing light or get it reset.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:00 PM

Did they inspect your airbag or anything? Did you watch what they did? I'm guessing since you said it took a minute, they didn't rip apart your dash and look into the wiring and what not...
Old 08-25-2003, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by maxcosity
Did they inspect your airbag or anything? Did you watch what they did? I'm guessing since you said it took a minute, they didn't rip apart your dash and look into the wiring and what not...
All the guy did was go out to my car with a hand held computer, hooked it up under the drivers side. According to him he checked the airbag and reset the light. They never even pulled it into a bay, just took care of it where I parked it.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:56 PM

I'm worried if I show up and they "reset the light" it won't work and something will be wrong. Then will they charge me the $65 and then more for fixing it??? Ugh!! This is a nightmare.. I don't want to pay them a dime let alone leave my car with them for "a couple of hours" as they said.. I don't feel I did anything wrong. I purchased the car, they should be able to tell me how to fix it without charging me!! It's my friggin car not theirs!!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

airbag light reset: more than just 5-7 times

previously posted relative info:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...15&pagenumber=1

Mine was blinking on my '96 SE after disarming and re-arming the airbags in connection with pulling my Bose headunit. (yellow connectors in steering column and glove box). I repeatedly tried the "5 times in 7 sec" doorbutton switch routine but no luck.

I wheeled into a friendly South Carolina Nissan dealership and intercepted the technician in the parking lot. (i.e. before some desk-jockey could write up an expensive work order) I asked him about the airbag lamp. He sat down and did the doorbutton switch-reset, but pressed it way more than 5-7 times. He was really rapidly pressing it. (Like video-game lasar-cannon style). Fifteen times, maybe? He explained that sends it into diagnostic mode. Moments later it was solid, then off. Fixed. Try that variation to the previously posted routine.

ic2esk@yahoo.com