5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I am going to Canada next week...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 05:10 PM

I am going to Canada next week...

Hey people i am going to Canada. It is going to be 700 miles in my max.
I have two questions, Are the radar datactors legal in canada?
And what happens if i get ticket i Canada?
Old 09-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Neeferea
Hey people i am going to Canada. It is going to be 700 miles in my max.
Have a good trip
Old 09-09-2003, 05:43 PM

If you do get a ticket, then don't pay it!!!

My uncle lives in Canada and once when he was driving from my house back to Canada he got a ticket in Mass. and never paid it. They won't go after you because you live in a different conutry. But if your in Canada again and get pulled over a second time, you'll be screwed because their computer will show that you've haven't paid the first time so they probably arrest you.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Jer

Where in "Canada". Pretty big country In most provinces (ie. Ontario), radar detectors are illegal... I think Quebec and BC are hte only provinces that MAY allow them. Tickets/points get carried over now as per agreements between the authorities - if I get caught speeding down there I get points, similarly another .org'er was up here recently and got pulled over / points were transferred to his US driver's record.

They MAY not go after you for the money if you don't pay the fine, but they will quite probably charge you with the points.. just remember that.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:40 PM

Have a good trip, if you go to province at Quebec you are not allow to use your radar detector, most of the policemen use laser to detect your speed because it's more accurate.
If you have a ticket you have a choice to pay or not, but if you don't pay don't comeback like a driver.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:32 AM

I think they are legal in Alberta, but none of the eastern provinces. My advice is to just not take it along and slow down.

Of course having lived in Nova Scotia for most of my life I can say that there seems to be a hell of a lot less cops there than in Alabama. I am cautious speeding here but in NS I used to do it with reckless abandon; there just seems to be so few police patrolling the roads and radar traps are few and far between on the highways. Not sure how it is when you get to the richer provinces like Alberta or ontario.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

All Canadian provinces have agreements with almost every state that if you get a ticket, the police and courts in your state/province will process the fine.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 09-10-2003, 07:56 AM

hey, passed through the us/can border just recently, going into QUEBEC... there's a big sign (at least at this border crossing) on the canadian side: radar detectors are illegal; again this is in quebec. have fun.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:21 AM

Living in Alberta, I can confirm that radar detectors ARE legal here for sure.