5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I've decided on rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've decided on rotors...

Well, after months of turmoil I have finally decided on the rotors that I am going to replace my stock POS ones with. I'm going to go with Power Slot slotted rotors. I can get them at nopionline for $103/ea + shipping. I was originally going to get the frozen rotors, but I just can't see paying $364 when I could just pay $206. I'm trying to get out of debt, so I think this will be the best option for me at this point. Yes, I could get Brembo blanks for $48 ea, but I need more performance than that. I will be using some Stillen metal pads with them. When I get everything installed I will let you know what I think.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

good luck - please post-I was plannin on gettin'
the same just for the front-
Old 09-17-2003, 04:30 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think you should have got the Brembo blanks and had them cryo-treated. Slotted won't do much. Especially on a budget. They sure won't perform well enough to justify the $103 vs $48 price difference.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I think you should have got the Brembo blanks and had them cryo-treated. Slotted won't do much. Especially on a budget. They sure won't perform well enough to justify the $103 vs $48 price difference.
That's certainly the minority as far as opinions I've heard. Overtime slotted rotors will be worth the difference as far as wear on the pad, which will in turn directly affect wear on the rotor itself. A smooth pad makes for a smooth rotor. Slotted is good.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm needing a caw

How does a non-slotted rotor make for an unsmooth pad? I've never run slotted yet have never run into warped rotors on my maximas. I think the problem with the 5th gens is warped rotors. What warps the rotor? It's the rotor's incapability to disperse the heat generated by the pads correct? In discussions with Bill(our evil moderator), he has had great success with cryo-treated rotors. It's definately increased the life of the rotor by a great amount.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:58 PM

Stopping power is most altered by good pads, rotors are important but not as important as pads....
Old 09-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What does cryo-treating the rotor do?
Old 09-17-2003, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MacAlert
What does cryo-treating the rotor do?
If money was no object, I would have gone with cryo treated rotors for sure. Problem is they run $112/EA, and that's for a blank, not even slotted. Cryo-treatment changes the crystalline structure of the steel so it's stronger, more durable. The thing is, I like slotted. I think it's a good idea to help the life of both the rotor and the pad. Had I gone with frozen rotors.com I would have spent $335.40 incl shipping, but that doesn't even include pads. I just don't have that kind of bread right now. That said, I went with the next best thing IN MY OPINION, which is non cryo treated slotted rotors by power slot. Slotting isn't worth it to everyone. To me, it is.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:26 PM

How does a non-slotted rotor make for an unsmooth pad? I've never run slotted yet have never run into warped rotors on my maximas. I think the problem with the 5th gens is warped rotors. What warps the rotor? It's the rotor's incapability to disperse the heat generated by the pads correct? In discussions with Bill(our evil moderator), he has had great success with cryo-treated rotors. It's definately increased the life of the rotor by a great amount.
Slots help by constantly "sweeping" the pad, which keeps them flat. A flat pad (a pad with little or no grooves) will keep grooves out of the rotor, hense keeping the rotor flat as well. Slotting is also good for outgassing, which helps minimize brake fade. For some it's not worth the extra 40 or so bucks per rotor. For me, it's worth it. That's my $0.02.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hope they work out for you. Even with grooves in my rotors/pads, they still peformed well.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:37 PM

Hope they work out for you.
Thanks man. I'll keep everyone updated, as this is a topic of daily recurrence in this forum.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:35 PM

I think that there is a powerslot group deal going. If you can wait, jump on that and save some $$. Another good thing is that the hubs are coated and won't rust like stock or brembo blanks.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by maximamaybe
I think that there is a powerslot group deal going. If you can wait, jump on that and save some $$. Another good thing is that the hubs are coated and won't rust like stock or brembo blanks.
Awesome! Any idea how long that's gonna be? I can get them at nopionline for $103/ea. You think it will be less than that? The sugg retail on them is like $151/ea I believe. If it will be less than $103/ea I will wait. But not if it's only like $100/ea or something.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by maximamaybe
I just noticed you live in Plano. I grew up not far from there. A suburb called Wylie. They're actually getting pretty big. I've heard it's been unusually cool there the past few days from the 'rents. Do you still have to drive to Dallas to get liquor?
Old 09-17-2003, 11:32 PM
tEh Hope

can't you just buy a power drill and put those slots yourself?
Old 09-17-2003, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maxxxed
can't you just buy a power drill and put those slots yourself?
The ability of the car to properly stop is not something I would want to leave to a DIY type job. I'll let the pros make the rotors.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:13 AM

Here is the link for the GD thread. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=247813 They are trying for $180 shipped. The weather has been nice in Plano. I can buy all the beer and wine I want in Plano, but I have to go to Richardson or Dallas for the liquor. Stupid a$$ lawmakers. If you are ever coming back to town, hit me up.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:52 PM

Where do you get the Brembo Blanks for the 2002?????

People keep mentioning them as an option, however, I can't seem to find any place that advertises them for the 02.

thanks

Chris
Old 09-18-2003, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisK327
Where do you get the Brembo Blanks for the 2002?????

People keep mentioning them as an option, however, I can't seem to find any place that advertises them for the 02.

thanks

Chris
here...

http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?...0Disc&vaffid=0
Old 09-18-2003, 07:52 PM

I have power slots on my other car, I love 'em. Longest I've ever gone without warping. And they look purdy with the non-contact areas being zinc washed or whatever it is. No rust after almost a year and harsh NE winter.

Personally, I think the best benefit from the slots is keeping the pads from glazing, I haven't heard a squeak out of these things.

OTOH, before I tried the power slots, I used Brembo blanks, they absolutely sucked. They warped fast and rusted up within weeks.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by itdood
I have power slots on my other car, I love 'em. Longest I've ever gone without warping. And they look purdy with the non-contact areas being zinc washed or whatever it is. No rust after almost a year and harsh NE winter.

Personally, I think the best benefit from the slots is keeping the pads from glazing, I haven't heard a squeak out of these things.

OTOH, before I tried the power slots, I used Brembo blanks, they absolutely sucked. They warped fast and rusted up within weeks.
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. You helped reassure me that I'm making the right choice.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ma><iManiac
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. You helped reassure me that I'm making the right choice.
cool...

I know my assessment of the usefulness of the slots sounds corny (keeping pads from glazing), but for the great majority of my driving I don't need to worry about brake fade, in fact, I can't remember the last time I had to worry about that. Personally, I feel the best way to handle fade (if that's an issue for you) is with different pad material, but then you end up sacrificing cold stop power.

Powerslots were actually really low on my list. I was very frustrated by warped rotors on my 95 Talon TSi. I decided to do a big brake upgrade, I figured bigger rotors would help with my warping. I went from 11" to 13" rotors / dual pistion calipers and SS lines. The kit I bought only came with power slots. I was like, what the hey, I'll try 'em. I thought the slots might actually make them warp sooner due to material being removed, but they've been just fine. To my surprise they are the best rotor I've ever used on the street.

The brembo blanks were also an effort to remedy warping, they actually warped faster than my stockers. Brembo blanks are meaty, a lot of material in the vents so the aftermarket crowd can drill 'em and what-not. I didn't touch them, I thought the extra steel would help prevent premature warping, quite the opposite was true.

good luck!

'03 silver max, 6 speed / lsd.
'95 Talon Turbo
'04 Suzuki GSX-R1000
Old 09-19-2003, 07:10 PM

I hate power slot!!!!!!

I bought them for my other car, and they warped in 3K miles. They were better than stock but still sucked. I brought them to the shop and had them turned and they lasted a little while longer. Not worth the $170 I paid for them.

How are the brembo blanks? Are they a good replacement for the stock rotors as is.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by theMax
I hate power slot!!!!!!

I bought them for my other car, and they warped in 3K miles. They were better than stock but still sucked. I brought them to the shop and had them turned and they lasted a little while longer. Not worth the $170 I paid for them.

How are the brembo blanks? Are they a good replacement for the stock rotors as is.
Brembo doesn't make blanks for the 2k2s yet.............

I have just put the powerslots and HPS pads and so far i have no problems......as for the ppl that have problems...I would say that they didn't go through the proper break in procedures(bedding and seasoning).......But I am on expert and I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:01 PM

I just picked up Brembo blanks for my 2K for $80/pair including shipping from:
www.performancepartsstore.com
They arrived this week but haven't had them installed yet. You might check to see if they have 2K2 blanks.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by cabernet
I just picked up Brembo blanks for my 2K for $80/pair including shipping from:
www.performancepartsstore.com
They arrived this week but haven't had them installed yet. You might check to see if they have 2K2 blanks.
Another poster noted above that they have already tried the brembo blanks and hated them. they rust easily and warped too.