5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

a BIG rock hit my windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 10:58 PM

a BIG rock hit my windshield...

I was on the highway... front of me was a fu****g mini van... so i saw the BIG rock to hit my windshield (im not sure if was from the mini van) and after that... little damage (but you can see it... especially from inside) on the middle of my windshield... what can
i make guys? call my insurance or not?... opinions please... thanks!
Old 09-21-2003, 11:04 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by GreekMaxima
I was on the highway... front of me was a fu****g mini van... so i saw the BIG rock to hit my windshield (im not sure if was from the mini van) and after that... little damage (but you can see it... especially from inside) on the middle of my windshield... what can
Callem' sometimes windshield replacement is free depending on the cost of the windsheild and ur deducable.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:10 PM

my friend told me that can i fill it (or something like that)... is it a good idea?
Old 09-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

my friend told me that can i fill it (or something like that)... is it a good idea?
No...just call ur insurance company before its too late and they deny ur claim. Its not gonna affect ur rates...just call em
Old 09-22-2003, 01:26 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

You're gonna have to pay your deductible no way around it. I have two rock chips in mine, spoke to my insurance both times and they didn't do ****. Granted paying your deductible is less than a new windshield, but isn't that why we have insurance? Bottom line, that little rock is gonna cost you.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:59 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
You're gonna have to pay your deductible no way around it. I have two rock chips in mine, spoke to my insurance both times and they didn't do ****. Granted paying your deductible is less than a new windshield, but isn't that why we have insurance? Bottom line, that little rock is gonna cost you.
Some states require glass replacement/repair without deductilbe cost. Don't know if CT is this way, KY is. Worth asking about. Your windshield will most likely not have to be replaced. If the damage does not spider out, it can frequently be reapaired.
Just my $.02
Old 09-22-2003, 08:02 AM
BiggD23

Originally Posted by Madmax1991
No...just call ur insurance company before its too late and they deny ur claim. Its not gonna affect ur rates...just call em
Unfortunately I've been through the cracked windshield thing twice and I disagree with Madmax1991 completely. Like others have said, if the damage is small and hasn't spidered out yet it can usually be repaired at a fraction of the deductible. I say better to try that route first instead of shelling out $200+ right away. And what's the hurry to call the insurance company? Why would they deny the claim? They don't know when the rock hit the car...you could call them a month from now and tell them it just happened on the way to work. How do they know? It's not like there is a police report and another party involved. IMO it's best to exhaust your other (cheaper) options first and use the insurance company as a last resort. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2003, 08:14 AM
jjs

Originally Posted by BiggD23
Unfortunately I've been through the cracked windshield thing twice and I disagree with Madmax1991 completely. Like others have said, if the damage is small and hasn't spidered out yet it can usually be repaired at a fraction of the deductible. I say better to try that route first instead of shelling out $200+ right away. And what's the hurry to call the insurance company? Why would they deny the claim? They don't know when the rock hit the car...you could call them a month from now and tell them it just happened on the way to work. How do they know? It's not like there is a police report and another party involved. IMO it's best to exhaust your other (cheaper) options first and use the insurance company as a last resort. Good luck.
I have to agree. If I called the insurance co every time I got a pit or something in the windshield, I think we would talk every 2 months and I find it difficult to believe this could go on without some kind of effect on rates, etc.

Yes, the repair will be noticeable still, but I agree it is the best first step unless you just HAVE to have a flawless windshield...but then again how long can anyone expect that one to stay flawless?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:18 AM

I've used the rock chip repair places several times. Here in CO we don't use salt in the winter just sand and gravel. Rock chips are a way of life! $40-$60 bucks, they come do it in your driveway and all that you can see is a very small opaque spot. I've had it done 3-4 times on my jag, twice on the Trooper, twice on my Audi and 1-2 on the Alfa.
The reapir will last a very long time. The trick is get it done right away before any moisture gets into the crack. If you have to wait a couple of days put a piece of tape on the chip until the repair guy can get to it.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not sure about CT, but i know mass. insurance companies, by law have to replace it with no deductable, once a year. Doesn't hurt to try and call your ins company. My GF gtz windshield was replaced for free, when she had mass insurance.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by eclane
Not sure about CT, but i know mass. insurance companies, by law have to replace it with no deductable, once a year. Doesn't hurt to try and call your ins company. My GF gtz windshield was replaced for free, when she had mass insurance.
This is exactly what I'm talking about...I'm also speaking from personal experiences. I knew I wasn't crazy when I typed what I typed But its true...in most cases the repair is free. I have State Farm coverage in Wash, DC and thats how they handle most cases from what they told me. I was expecting to pay a large deductable but I didn't have to pay any because the repair was cheaper than my deductable. And it didn't have any affect on my rates. But if you got one of those "fly by night" insurance companies then who knows what to expect...I'm not sure who you have but it reall wouldn't hurt to call and just see what they would say. A phone call has never hurt anyone...unless your calling to confess a crime then someone would really be in trouble. Sorry you guys had to disagree with me, but I guess each company is different in the way they handle windsheild claims. So I would agree to disagree until we know what his people say
Old 09-22-2003, 02:58 PM
BiggD23

Originally Posted by Madmax1991
But if you got one of those "fly by night" insurance companies then who knows what to expect...
Do you consider Allstate a "fly by night" insurance company?

My 2 cracked windshield experiences have been with Allstate, I can tell you for sure they are not covered for free, at least not in PA where I live. Glass is covered under the comprehensive portion of your policy, which has a seperate (usually higher) deductible than a normal claim does. In my case the comprehensive deductible was $500, so I just paid $200 out of pocket to have a new windshield put in. I've since adjusted my policy so my comprehensive deductible is only $100. Now if you have glass coverage on your policy that's a whole different thing...I can see that getting fixed for free. I think that's an extra $5 or so per month but you have $0 deductible to use it.

Old 09-22-2003, 03:05 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by BiggD23
Do you consider Allstate a "fly by night" insurance company?

My 2 cracked windshield experiences have been with Allstate, I can tell you for sure they are not covered for free, at least not in PA where I live. Glass is covered under the comprehensive portion of your policy, which has a seperate (usually higher) deductible than a normal claim does. In my case the comprehensive deductible was $500, so I just paid $200 out of pocket to have a new windshield put in. I've since adjusted my policy so my comprehensive deductible is only $100. Now if you have glass coverage on your policy that's a whole different thing...I can see that getting fixed for free. I think that's an extra $5 or so per month but you have $0 deductible to use it.
No I wouldn't consider them an fly by night company...but the ones that I do are those ones you see on TV with the half naked dancers in them and they have offices in the tri state area lol
Old 09-22-2003, 03:11 PM

My insurance pays for windsheild repairs w/ no increase in premium.
I have NJ manufacturers and they sent someone from Safelite glass to my job and repaired it there.
It took about 20 min.
And the guarenteed it not to spread.

Ecko