5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Maxima owner, need help with acronyms.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 10:18 AM

New Maxima owner, need help with acronyms.

Hey all, I am new to the Maxima world but not to the car world. I am a domestic owner myself but the wife has a 2000 Maxima. Of course I have the speed bug and my 355 does not compare to her 3 liter and just isnt going to cut it. I have been reading but all these acronyms are confusing me. I am used to STB, SFC, LCA, PHR, and any other one that applies to my car but not hers. It is an auto and is 100% stock. She is not much into modifications but she loves driving my car so once they are done I am sure she wouldn't mind so much.

The first thing I am looking to do is a new cold air intake but am looking for the best one. Then I am eyeballing a tranny cooler and some better pads and rotors since I drive a little harder then she does. Stereo is no big deal at this time since it is good enough for her. What are some other things that I can do? Are there better suspension pieces, I know on my car it is a unibody design so the rear doesnt tie to the front so I need some subframe connectors, do these cars have that problem? I know that searching is a wonderful thing but I have no idea what to even start searching for.

Lastly do you guys have a tech page? Like what type of FP do these cars run at? Is there an easy way to pull the codes if a SES (service engine soon) light pops on? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Welcome. I'd try the FAQ's first, thats where I started. There is a lot of good info there.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by kcowden
Welcome. I'd try the FAQ's first, thats where I started. There is a lot of good info there.
stone cole trippin boo
Old 09-25-2003, 11:05 AM

Yea already read those. Really didnt answer many of my questions. WAI which company makes that one? I think that I found it but I do not like the design. Why would you pull warm air into the intake manifold? That is not going to help you out at all. I mean, I am sure it will since the stock one is so restrictive but why do you think that run intercoolers on turbos? The stock one has a nice "ramming" effect on it that I would like to incorporate into a new one but I don't know if there is a company out there that has one. Or is there an opening by the driver's side fender that I can run ducting, or mandrel bend a tube to the air filter? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have an Injen on mine, they seem to be popular here. I also put on a tranny cooler and flushed the trans while I was down there. That's it so far, looking at an exhaust... saving my pennies.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:51 AM

Look at Warpspeedperformance.com for subframe connectors. Look to frankencar in November for a catback exhaust. look to cattman.com for a y-pipe(down pipe from headers) and look for tokico illumina's for shocks and you can search for what kind of springs you want(large debate). also look to cattman.com for a rear swaybar and you can get a decent Front strut tower brace from mobiletek.com or search under OTTO for a FSTB. Mobiletek also can do a VB mod for your tranny and if you want a turbo you need to talk to "y2ksteve".
Old 09-25-2003, 01:01 PM

if you're a driving enthusiast what I would start with is upgrading the suspension...springs(H&R, Eibachs, Teins, Maxspeed,etc.), shocks(KYB GR-2, Tokicos,etc.), RSB(rear sway bar) is a must, FSTB.

Many options for intakes...Place Racing(cutting required, considered the only real cai), Injen, Franckencar, etc.

As mentioned above a y-pipe, which probably will give you the most significant gains. Exhaust...that should cover you for a while.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:11 PM

So why would you just do a y-pipe on these cars. Is the manifold that good? I would think that the interior of the manifold would be rather restrictive. Like on my Camaro I would gain an easy 40 HP just from going to a free flowing exhaust. That is on a 350 that is modified. If it is stock then an easy 20 is right there. Why not run an entire header back?

As far as catbacks go would be be better to have one bent up or just buy an over the counter one? From what I have noticed the over the counter ones are not that "mandrel" bent. Also what systems do not sound like a pack of bumble bees. I am used to the V8 so I know that it will not sound the same regardless but I would like one that is a little bit deeper.

Guys thanks a ton for this information. I know that newbies can be a pain in the @$$ with all of the everyday questions but with me being in a completely different area (domestic vs Domestic/Foreign) I wouldn't even know where to begin. Hey who knows maybe I will get this thing into the 11's like my car will be rather soon.

Then I guess lastly what are the biggest problems with these cars? Like on my car the torque arm is probably going to crap out along with the rearend. That is if I ever get any traction. Are the transmissions tough enough to handle any real power or will that crap out soon? What about the iginition will be be able to burn an increase of fuel or will you need some upgraded parts?

OK that is all for now. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by GroceryGetter
So why would you just do a y-pipe on these cars. Is the manifold that good? I would think that the interior of the manifold would be rather restrictive. Like on my Camaro I would gain an easy 40 HP just from going to a free flowing exhaust. That is on a 350 that is modified. If it is stock then an easy 20 is right there. Why not run an entire header back?

As far as catbacks go would be be better to have one bent up or just buy an over the counter one? From what I have noticed the over the counter ones are not that "mandrel" bent. Also what systems do not sound like a pack of bumble bees. I am used to the V8 so I know that it will not sound the same regardless but I would like one that is a little bit deeper.

Guys thanks a ton for this information. I know that newbies can be a pain in the @$$ with all of the everyday questions but with me being in a completely different area (domestic vs Domestic/Foreign) I wouldn't even know where to begin. Hey who knows maybe I will get this thing into the 11's like my car will be rather soon.

Then I guess lastly what are the biggest problems with these cars? Like on my car the torque arm is probably going to crap out along with the rearend. That is if I ever get any traction. Are the transmissions tough enough to handle any real power or will that crap out soon? What about the iginition will be be able to burn an increase of fuel or will you need some upgraded parts?

OK that is all for now. Thanks.
Y-pipe on the Max is good for about 18hp and you'll feel the difference right away. Headers on the Max is reported to be 30 hp with the Y-pipe, so their isn't that much to gain from them.

Get a Flowmaster system, it doesn't sound like a Bee Can (like those on the Civics).
If you are looking for sound then go with the Flow, otherwise, I'd say just keep the stock muffler that is already there, it comes from the Japanese Skyline and it is a unique design, many members would like to have one on their car already but some are just into the look and sound, so they go with an aftermarket kit.

The 2k stock muffler is a great design, I have ricers (mostly Civic owners here) asking me if they can buy my muffler or if it will fit their car.

As far as problems with the cars, I'd say the Auto trans on some 2k's suck, otherwise I've had no other problems with mine. Some owners have complained of paint chips and warped rotors but that can be easily solved.

My 2k has over 144k on it and I have no problems, in fact she runs better, stronger and get better mpg than when new. I add RP (Royal Purple Oil Synthetic) and it helps maintain my engine, plus gives me a lil more hp (butt dyno) and it improved my MPG<no feeling here, actual results you can see.

Just take care of the car and insure you take it to the dealer for routine oil changes and services and the car will last you a lifetime, hell there are owners of Maximas that have over 300K on the original engine with no problems.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Boost.....

Just hang around for a while....do a little reading, and you will be set.

You can't do it all in one day.....you are an experienced "modder" I can tell.....Hang tight and do some research....enjoy the .org.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:02 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

welcome to the org

There is a ton of info here for you.....
Old 09-26-2003, 07:11 AM

Thanks guys reading these welcomes makes me feel more at home. I know that I have visited some domestic sites and they are all talking out of their asses.

What about some free mods? Is there anything to port or clean up? If the manifold is not that restrictive I am sure there has to be some casting flash that could be cleaned up. What about the intake manifold? Are there any ridges to clean up for more efficient flow?

One thing that is debated to this date with the TPI on the Camaro is to port the MAF. Is this something that can be done on these cars? I know I am just overloading with questions but I am a quick learner and I am a go get them type of person when it comes to cars.

Thanks again everyone!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 07:41 AM

Thanks guys reading these welcomes makes me feel more at home. I know that I have visited some domestic sites and they are all talking out of their asses.

What about some free mods? Is there anything to port or clean up? If the manifold is not that restrictive I am sure there has to be some casting flash that could be cleaned up. What about the intake manifold? Are there any ridges to clean up for more efficient flow?

One thing that is debated to this date with the TPI on the Camaro is to port the MAF. Is this something that can be done on these cars? I know I am just overloading with questions but I am a quick learner and I am a go get them type of person when it comes to cars.

Thanks again everyone!!!
Welcome to the Org Mang. I can answer some of your questions.
porting out the intake manifolds, I don't think it can be done on the 2000+ cars b/c they are made out of hard plastic.

For the automatic car, you can contact DON IN TEXAS (guy on the forum) for his throttle body upgrade. it makes the Automatic shift faster.
For power Get the Y-pipe (Cattman Is the Best) there are some new ones out and CAUTION THE FLEX Might Break on these..
Best Intake is Place Racing, but does require drilling a hole in fender by battery
Injen is another intake, or you can get the Stillen Pop Charger.
For mufflers you can get HKS, Greddy, Cattman or Stillen ($$$$)
You can put pullies on the car
Put Super charger or Turbo kit if you have the know how (then the Maxima is ready to play with your Camero )
Also you can change plugs and you should see improvement.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:43 AM

I hate to say it but this Maxmia will never play with my Camaro. I have about every suspension part possible put on or waiting to be put on my car. I am putting almost 400hp to the ground and in a little while I am going to be looking at the NOS Nozzle kit (individual nitrous nossles for each injector) and then I should be in the neighborhood of 600. I just have a hard time seeing the Maxima reaching anything remotely close to that without a motor upgrade.

Thanks again everyone again for the help. I am sure I will be around quite a bit since cars are my life, well outside my family.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:00 PM

I hate to say it but this Maxmia will never play with my Camaro. I have about every suspension part possible put on or waiting to be put on my car. I am putting almost 400hp to the ground and in a little while I am going to be looking at the NOS Nozzle kit (individual nitrous nossles for each injector) and then I should be in the neighborhood of 600. I just have a hard time seeing the Maxima reaching anything remotely close to that without a motor upgrade.

Thanks again everyone again for the help. I am sure I will be around quite a bit since cars are my life, well outside my family.

Of course the Max will not compete with the Camaro, you are compairing a V-6 sport sedan with a V-8 sports car.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:30 AM

You would be surprised with who wants to play with my car. Thanks all for the help I am sure I will be posting later.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:07 AM

You would be surprised with who wants to play with my car. Thanks all for the help I am sure I will be posting later.
When I said that, I was thinking you Camero was in stock form. let us know if you need any help