5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Speaker wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 08:56 AM

Okay... so I bought a sub yesterday... it doesn't give me the sound I want so I'm gonna exchange it for some really nice 6 1/2s. I'm keeping the amp cause the speakers will need more power. So I'll need to run some speaker wire to the front doors. How do you guys that replace the stock wiring do this? I had a b|tch of a time trying to figure out how to get the wires through the existing rubber thingy (technical term there).

Old 02-15-2001, 03:52 PM

This is really a pain in the ***. The harness coming out to the door has a plastic housing that snaps into the body of the car. The rubber boot needs to be pulled off (carefully) then push the release clips to pop out the connector. Once this is done you are halfway there. The harness unplugs from the carand you should be able to locate some vacant holes in it. Be careful to locate holes that correspond to empty holes on the door plug as well. These holes need to be drilled out to make way for the larger wire. Use care when doing this so none of the wires are disturbed. After the hole is drilled check and be positive that both the male and female plugs line up perfectly or the wires will not go through. Feed the wires through the kick and out the hole and posh them into the plastic housing, now feed the wires into the other end of the plug and leave plenty of wire to work with. Fish the wire thru the rubber boot and into the speaker location. Reconnect the 2 plastic plugs and get the boot secure on the housing berfore you snap it in. If you dont do this you will get really pissed trying to get the boot on. This works really well, I'v done it for a few of my friends and this procedure will work on any car that has the plastic snap in plug door connectors. Good Luck
Old 02-15-2001, 04:21 PM

or u can go the easier route and dril lne holes, install a rubber gromet to prevent the wire from getting cut by the sharp edges of the hole, and put a wire loom on it and wrap teh whole assemply in etape so it looks stock.. then u got it all good. i've done it before to i forgot what car, looks stock and works fine. but it all depends on how comfy you are with drilling holes in your car.
Old 02-15-2001, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by mingo
or u can go the easier route and dril lne holes, install a rubber gromet to prevent the wire from getting cut by the sharp edges of the hole, and put a wire loom on it and wrap teh whole assemply in etape so it looks stock.. then u got it all good. i've done it before to i forgot what car, looks stock and works fine. but it all depends on how comfy you are with drilling holes in your car.
I'm going this route. One question.. Where can you pick up rubber gromets?
Old 02-15-2001, 10:45 PM

I saw some at home depot, electrical section.
I'm sure they have some at RatShack too.
Make sure you pick the one equivalent to the
drill bit size.

good luck