5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SES light is now on

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 09:22 AM

SES light is now on

So I tried the Drop Resistor Mod. and my ses light came on. Help!!!!! I pulled out the sensor that was closest to the drivers side front strut tower, and the car was staggering, then I took it for a spin and it would not go into 2nd gear, and now my ses light is on and I have never seen it on until I pulled the sesor. So now i unpluged the batterey and will start it up tomorrow to see if it comes off. Do you think I pulled the wrong thing. I didn't see any other things to pull. Please help!!!!!!! If I take it in will they fix it for free. i am still under the factory warantty.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Try a search on resetting the ECU, that should work, unhooking the negative battery won't do it.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

FAQs or How-Tos is a good place to start looking.

Here is what you need:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=36867&page=4
Old 10-07-2003, 01:09 PM

There are many ways to reset the ECU but I am a lazy guy to do that sh*t. I did it by taking out the fuse of the ECU and unhooking out the battery and leave it over night. That's how I did it with the problem with SES.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by K1maxima02
There are many ways to reset the ECU but I am a lazy guy to do that sh*t. I did it by taking out the fuse of the ECU and unhooking out the battery and leave it over night. That's how I did it with the problem with SES.
Thanks for the info. because I don't want to go through that long process. Where is the fuse for the ECU by the way. I want to make sure this time because I may have pulled out the wrong sensor and thats why the SES light came on.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:32 PM

Hmmmmn....who would I trust?

A)A dozen or so people who have performed this sucessfully?
OR
B)ONE guy who's got 14 posts and signed up a few days ago?

You could always stop by your local autoparts store and have them reset it using a scan tool. As far as I've heard, the 2K2+ ECUs do NOT get reset by simply disconnecting the battery overnight. Most likely he drove it for awhile or the ECU saw that the error was fixed and reset itself. Either way, I'd go through the procedure, which IF it's such a "long process", you shouldn't be messing with your car anyways.

Originally Posted by raymond3414
Thanks for the info. because I don't want to go through that long process. Where is the fuse for the ECU by the way. I want to make sure this time because I may have pulled out the wrong sensor and thats why the SES light came on.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by raymond3414

I think in under the hood they should be fuse box. Open it they should have 2 engine control unit fuse. Take those out and also take the fuse out inside your car where under the steering wheel they should have the fuse there as well. I also took out the fuse there too. after that take out the battery and leave it out for over night. (I did liittle more than the overnight just to make sure it will work) But next day I put it back on and no SES light and also my ECU is reset.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Hmmmmn....who would I trust?

A)A dozen or so people who have performed this sucessfully?
OR
B)ONE guy who's got 14 posts and signed up a few days ago?

You could always stop by your local autoparts store and have them reset it using a scan tool. As far as I've heard, the 2K2+ ECUs do NOT get reset by simply disconnecting the battery overnight. Most likely he drove it for awhile or the ECU saw that the error was fixed and reset itself. Either way, I'd go through the procedure, which IF it's such a "long process", you shouldn't be messing with your car anyways.
lol. I know that they are other methods to reset the ecu like the one you have to have stopwatch to and step the petal hard and let go the petal and etc. I know alot of people try that and worked but it didn't work for me. (maybe the timing or something) So I tried to do different ways to reset the ecu it and searched all night tried to find a way to work. I tried to just take out the battery and leave it for 3 or 4 hours but didn't work either. But I saw the fuse box and I saw 2 Engine control unit fuse and 1 fuse in the fuse box inside the car. At that time i was thinking maybe if I take it out and also took out the battery maybe will work. I leave it overnight (maybe just little more) and next day no SES and ECU was reset. That's how I did it that all.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:23 PM

Cool. Glad it worked for you.

Many people have tried disconnecting the battery overnight without any luck on the 2K2s. I wouldn't think the fuse would make any difference, but what the heck.

Hopefully, he can verify it works too.

Originally Posted by K1maxima02
lol. I know that they are other methods to reset the ecu like the one you have to have stopwatch to and step the petal hard and let go the petal and etc. I know alot of people try that and worked but it didn't work for me. (maybe the timing or something) So I tried to do different ways to reset the ecu it and searched all night tried to find a way to work. I tried to just take out the battery and leave it for 3 or 4 hours but didn't work either. But I saw the fuse box and I saw 2 Engine control unit fuse and 1 fuse in the fuse box inside the car. At that time i was thinking maybe if I take it out and also took out the battery maybe will work. I leave it overnight (maybe just little more) and next day no SES and ECU was reset. That's how I did it that all.