5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Greddy+y-pipe vs Cattman+y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Greddy+y-pipe vs Cattman+y-pipe

I was trying to locate sound clips of what the max sounds like with greddy cattback + y-pipe and cattman + y-pipe. I currently have a Greddy evo on the car, and planning on ordering the y-pipe sometime next week. The only concern I have is the noise level. As it stands, I like the sound of the exhaust, but I dont want it much louder then that. I was considering getting the y-pipe, and replacing the greddy muffler with cattman, if it is in fact quieter. I looked over some previous topics with regards to this, but no sound clips Would certainly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It is quieter than the Greddy.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
It is quieter than the Greddy.

I'll get you some clips next Tues. PM me your email addy.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

E-mail is in my sig. I need to get some clips of my Cattman w/ test pipe...
Old 10-10-2003, 05:53 PM

http://www.xpert-networking.com/muff...ps/muffler.htm,
has some clips of cattman to atleast compare to your own. unfortunatly its not the exact setup you are looking for. hope this helps
Old 10-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Greddy SP(not Evo) and Stillen Y-pipe:
http://www.desertpearlmax.homestead....amodspage.html

It's going to be LOUD! Greddy is NOT going to quite the sound enough IMO. Go Cattman or if you don't have that kind of money, have a muffler shop weld on a Flowmaster 50 or 60 series.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:40 PM

Well, the sound clips from your site didn't sound too bad, I guess my biggest concern is the buzzing sound, as long as I don't get that once I install the y-pipe, I may stay with the Evo.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:47 PM

That's not my site.

Also, I think the "Bees in a can" sound is more prone to Stillens' Ypipe. I don't think Cattmans' ypipes have that.

Originally Posted by -Red-
Well, the sound clips from your site didn't sound too bad, I guess my biggest concern is the buzzing sound, as long as I don't get that once I install the y-pipe, I may stay with the Evo.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
That's not my site.

Also, I think the "Bees in a can" sound is more prone to Stillens' Ypipe. I don't think Cattmans' ypipes have that.
Hehe, your site or not , thanks for the info. I think that more or less rules the Stillen pipe out. How do Warpspeed y-pipes fare in out cars? Aside from not being stainless steel, any idea as to how they are in tems of sound. If Cattman if a flat out better pipe, I will go that route, although it's probably easier to sell my wife on the idea of a $250 part versus one that is $350+
Old 10-10-2003, 09:09 PM

Get the Cattman. I've seen ALL of his products and they are ALWAYS top notch. You pay for what you get.

I'm going with the Cattman.

Originally Posted by -Red-
Hehe, your site or not , thanks for the info. I think that more or less rules the Stillen pipe out. How do Warpspeed y-pipes fare in out cars? Aside from not being stainless steel, any idea as to how they are in tems of sound. If Cattman if a flat out better pipe, I will go that route, although it's probably easier to sell my wife on the idea of a $250 part versus one that is $350+
Old 10-11-2003, 01:14 AM

In past threads, I've seen mixed opinions on sound levels of exhuast systems. I'm guessing since everyone has different setups, what maybe soft for some people may be loud for others. IMO.

Couple months ago I saw an org member's exhaust setup that I liked.

Cattman y-pipe & b-pipe, RT HiFlow CAT, stock exhaust.

I'm guessing it will be slightly louder than stock, but not as loud as if I had the "Cattman complete exhaust system." Anyone beg to differ?
Old 10-12-2003, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 808MAX-SPEC
In past threads, I've seen mixed opinions on sound levels of exhuast systems. I'm guessing since everyone has different setups, what maybe soft for some people may be loud for others. IMO.

Couple months ago I saw an org member's exhaust setup that I liked.

Cattman y-pipe & b-pipe, RT HiFlow CAT, stock exhaust.

I'm guessing it will be slightly louder than stock, but not as loud as if I had the "Cattman complete exhaust system." Anyone beg to differ?
I had my cattman catback exhaust on before I got an Injen intake and I could barely tell the difference in sound levels from my stock and cattman. Once the intake was on though the sound level definatly changed but not unbearable(sp?). The y-pipe or headers will make a signicicant increase in sound level though, but the resonator on the cattman b-pipe is fairly large and should supply adequate sound surpression unless you're going for the sleeper look.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by gkstar
I had my cattman catback exhaust on before I got an Injen intake and I could barely tell the difference in sound levels from my stock and cattman. Once the intake was on though the sound level definatly changed but not unbearable(sp?). The y-pipe or headers will make a signicicant increase in sound level though, but the resonator on the cattman b-pipe is fairly large and should supply adequate sound surpression unless you're going for the sleeper look.
Cool! I'll probably hold off on the y-pipe and just get the Cattman catback early next year and see how it sounds. Gonna work on my intake soon. So are you gonna get a y-pipe and/or headers?
Old 10-13-2003, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 808MAX-SPEC
Cool! I'll probably hold off on the y-pipe and just get the Cattman catback early next year and see how it sounds. Gonna work on my intake soon. So are you gonna get a y-pipe and/or headers?

I'm probably going with the headers, as long as the dyno sheets turn out better then Stillen's headers I was on Oahu for a couple weeks last summer but didn't see any modded max's, glad they have finally started to get to the islands. Good luck on the intake they're not hard.