5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why is 2000 gle shaking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why is 2000 gle shaking?

Hey guys,
My dad has a 2000 gle with 68K miles, and a little while ago, the check engine light came on. Now, maybe a couple of months later, the light blinks periodically. Also, whenever we turn on the car, it shakes in idle D. But when we put it into P or N, everything seems ok. Then, it shakes when we start driving, but stops as we increase our speed. When we get to a stop light, same thing, starts saking in D, but stops in N. Does anyone know what this is. I searched and found some stuff about 2000 max's having ignition coil problems, but Im not sure how to tell if thats the problem that we got. Could this be the transmission, or is it the coils? Is there a way to tell what the prob is before taking it to a mechanic? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SKDiablo
Hey guys,
My dad has a 2000 gle with 68K miles, and a little while ago, the check engine light came on. Now, maybe a couple of months later, the light blinks periodically. Also, whenever we turn on the car, it shakes in idle D. But when we put it into P or N, everything seems ok. Then, it shakes when we start driving, but stops as we increase our speed. When we get to a stop light, same thing, starts saking in D, but stops in N. Does anyone know what this is. I searched and found some stuff about 2000 max's having ignition coil problems, but Im not sure how to tell if thats the problem that we got. Could this be the transmission, or is it the coils? Is there a way to tell what the prob is before taking it to a mechanic? Thanks for the help.
Take the car to autozone and get your codes checked for free. Find out what the check engine light is on for. It'll probably lead you to our problem.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Reported

Hey guys,
I had similiar problems. My coil #5 was misfiring and my front rotors needed to be resurfaced. total cost=$219 and change
Old 10-12-2003, 11:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just one coil? How did the rotors affect the cars shaking?
Old 10-13-2003, 08:07 AM

Just one coil? How did the rotors affect the cars shaking?
When the rotors get warped they cause the car to shake when the brakes are applied. There is a TSB on this, it is called "Brake Judder."

You just need to have Nissan do the TSB fix for your problem and the vehicle will stop shaking.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

blinking CEL = ignition problem. check out plugs and gap them if necessary.

yea, it can be the coil
Old 10-13-2003, 12:05 PM

Hey guys,

hehe, that sounds like my car. After I replaced my engine mounts to stiffer ones my car shakes when it's at D, when I shift it to N the shaking goes away. When I start driving it shakes a little but when I gas it goes away. It could be that you need to replace your engine mounts. Since the engine mounts are electronically controlled it might be triffering a check engine light if your mounts are bad. This is a guess, you should take somewhere to see what the check engine light is.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:42 PM

I had the same problem. An ignition coil was failing. I replaced the coil and the car runs fine now.. Lots of people have this problem.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:56 PM

Sounds like ignition coils; I have a 2000 GLE as well, and experienced the same thing. The car finally threw the code after 5 days, I took it to Autozone and teh code read "cylinder 3 misfiring or bad coil"; I replaced the plugs since it was inexpensive and the car periodically shook for an additional 3 days; I then figured it was an ignition coil; The funny thing is this: For the last 2-3 weeks, the car runs brand new, no shakes or anything, and I haven't replaced the coils yet. Its been mentioned that the problem exists most in humid conditions, but its been humid here a couple of days and I still haven't had the shaking again. Still, I'm going to replace the coil when it comes in. First I would replace the plugs; I changed the plugs at 51,000 miles and they were bad; I replaced them with Bosch Platinum double tips.