5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gab Works!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 09:43 AM
Very sound, Mike

Gab Works!

I tried out the GAB modification yesterday, but instead of cutting the stock filter holder - i took the holder out and duct taped the filter to the box as a temporary/testing solution.

My immediate observations are:
- Throttle response is faster and better, there doesn't seem to be that lag or bogging you get while the VQ tries to ingest more air. IOW, it revs much freely.
- Midrange performance is more pronounced, i did several back-to-back tests on this and noticed that with the GAB mod there's quite a bit more midrange punch when you go WOT.
- The sound is also quite nice, not as "growling" as i thought it would be but you'll notice it right away. Cruising normally you never hear it. But get on the gas and the engine just comes alive, though the sound seems to taper off as you get in the higher rpm range.

Overall, i think if there was a neater way for me to do this mod i'd stick with it. But for now, i've put the holder back in.

- Mike
Old 10-13-2003, 10:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i did it recently as well...have you noticed any lose of low-end power - off the line kind of grunt?

maybe it was just me.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:22 AM
CCx

Originally Posted by fishhouse
i did it recently as well...have you noticed any lose of low-end power - off the line kind of grunt?

maybe it was just me.
i did mine last week...i drilled 3/4" holes in the filter holder because i dont have access to a dremel or rotozip (next time i visit my folks i'll see if they have one), and noticed exactly what you said about the low-end power, however i am enjoying the noise....in doing all my searching on the GAB i figured doing the OSCAI part is not entirely difficult and am looking forward to doing that soon, maybe that will bring back some power

either that....or it's all in my head
Old 10-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Very sound, Mike

I tested it last night and we had some relatively cool weather. I wasn't able to notice any low-end grunt, but i can imagine how it would be if i did it in the middle of the day.

Since i do mostly highway driving, i think this would actually be a good mod for me since i don't have to worry about the low-end as much.

However, for overall versatility - as CCx mentioned, a GAB+OSCAI set-up might be the better choice.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:32 AM

yea, i did the OSCAI at the same time i did the GAB.

i'm in love with the sound from the GAB as well! glad to know i'm not the only one feeling some low-end loss. oh well, i picked up another stock filter holder from Igor911, so i can always go back to stock if i need to.

the OSCAI was very easy - especially on a 2k or 2k1. i'd be happy to provide you with any advice if you decide to do it.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
I tried out the GAB modification yesterday, but instead of cutting the stock filter holder - i took the holder out and duct taped the filter to the box as a temporary/testing solution.

My immediate observations are:
- Throttle response is faster and better, there doesn't seem to be that lag or bogging you get while the VQ tries to ingest more air. IOW, it revs much freely.
- Midrange performance is more pronounced, i did several back-to-back tests on this and noticed that with the GAB mod there's quite a bit more midrange punch when you go WOT.
- The sound is also quite nice, not as "growling" as i thought it would be but you'll notice it right away. Cruising normally you never hear it. But get on the gas and the engine just comes alive, though the sound seems to taper off as you get in the higher rpm range.

Overall, i think if there was a neater way for me to do this mod i'd stick with it. But for now, i've put the holder back in.

- Mike
What is GAB ?
Old 10-13-2003, 12:18 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by koostermax
What is GAB ?
Ghetto Air Box

Old 10-13-2003, 12:22 PM

GAB = Ghetto air box

Also do a search for PAB = Ported air box by SR20DEN
Old 10-13-2003, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
GAB = Ghetto air box

Also do a search for PAB = Ported air box by SR20DEN
Oh silly me. Thanks guys.

Still deciding on my intake: Ingen or Frankencar.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by fishhouse

maybe it was just me.
I wonder what holder you used?
Old 10-13-2003, 01:14 PM

I should find a junkyard airbox and just cut out the whole dirty-side with a dremel... how's that for GAB?
I bet that'd be real smooth though... and I'd be able to keep the filter in its holder w/o modification... but I'm thinking of an Injen instead
Old 10-13-2003, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Igor911
I wonder what holder you used?
or, just find some swell guy like Igor911 who has an extra one lying around, toss a little paypal fundage his way, and have a free one to hack up until your heart's content!