5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I'm sick of my car fuc#&! knocking/pinging

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
I have had my 02 SE since new and with 46k on the odo, it runs like a champ. Similar to SerjVQ, I have never used anything less than 93 octane (typically, Shell V-power, Mobil Super, Sunoco Ultra and Hess premium).

I usually run on 87 w/pinging (especially w/the AC on). 93 reduces the pinging quite a bit but doesn't stop it completly.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Running 93 and oil-catch can got rid most of my noise problems.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by AllGo
^^ Please enlighten us how you solved this pinging. You sold the car?
93 octane Exxon gas from the same place, Seafoam treatment, and a Home Depot catch can. I was amazed at how much oil was collecting in my catch can.... all that oil used to be recycled back into the intake manifold to be burned up in the ignition process.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by kcowden
Seafoam treatment, and a Home Depot catch can.

im a novice at this...Seafoam? where do i get this stuff?
...Home Depot catch can? do i have to make it or a can purchase it? let me know cuz this ping bang tingling ling sounds annoying...
sorry for the useless sound effect words.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by spencediggy
im a novice at this...Seafoam? where do i get this stuff?
...Home Depot catch can? do i have to make it or a can purchase it? let me know cuz this ping bang tingling ling sounds annoying...
sorry for the useless sound effect words.
seafoam you can buy it at any autoparts store....$6 a can

home depot catch can mod you need to build yourself...but its very simple...check my write up in the 5th gen forums
Old 07-13-2006, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by kcowden
93 octane Exxon gas from the same place, Seafoam treatment, and a Home Depot catch can. I was amazed at how much oil was collecting in my catch can.... all that oil used to be recycled back into the intake manifold to be burned up in the ignition process.
I use good quality 93 octane, BP/Amoco and Quiktrip, both known for their quality gasoline in the ATL market. I have done the catch can as well and even had my base timing reversed back to 15* BTDC.

Just recently changing the timing back, the ping has gotten quite a bit better but I still have some very slight pinging at the same rpm range under light load, almost coasting. These Nissan ecu's programs you would have thought they kept Cali's 91 octane in mind when tuning these cars.

I have about 65k miles so I may just do the seafoam and change the plugs and see if that helps. Anyone else change their plat. plugs this early? Should I go with Platinum or Iridium? Where did everyone else get there plugs?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by AllGo
I use good quality 93 octane, BP/Amoco and Quiktrip, both known for their quality gasoline in the ATL market. I have done the catch can as well and even had my base timing reversed back to 15* BTDC.

Just recently changing the timing back, the ping has gotten quite a bit better but I still have some very slight pinging at the same rpm range under light load, almost coasting. These Nissan ecu's programs you would have thought they kept Cali's 91 octane in mind when tuning these cars.

I have about 65k miles so I may just do the seafoam and change the plugs and see if that helps. Anyone else change their plat. plugs this early? Should I go with Platinum or Iridium? Where did everyone else get there plugs?
I changed my plugs at just under 30k mi and they looked like crap. I don't drive my car hard but most of my commutes are short trips. At 28k mi or so I changed my plugs, the fuel filter, did a tranny flush to asmoil synthetic and replaces the front brake pads. I got all my parts through Dave B. (except the ATF & pads)

I do not hear piging or knocking anymore since I did the plugs & I always use 93 octane. (crossing fingers
Old 07-26-2006, 04:52 PM

How much pinging is too much? I know the manual says that some pinging is normal but I feel like mine is too much. It almost always pings when I have the AC on and am going between 30mph and 50mph or there abouts.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by shobuddy
How much pinging is too much? I know the manual says that some pinging is normal but I feel like mine is too much. It almost always pings when I have the AC on and am going between 30mph and 50mph or there abouts.
Usually the pinging happens in the 1800-2100 RPM range. A little, per the manual, is normal. I was under moderate speed, but the RPM range is where I heard it the most. To me it was a lot more than normal. The situation your describing doesn't sound normal at all, I'd have it checked out at the dealer.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:57 PM

My Max does this as well but so does our G35 and our old 350 did. Those guys in there forums have complained about the same thing so it is something with some 3.5's. Our Max and G mainly does it when it hot out side
Old 08-04-2006, 10:32 AM

Same problem here. Slight pinging upon acceleration at around 2-2.5K rpm. I have 150K km on the car. I'm on my second engine and have 50K km on it. My first engine never pinged. My second engine does though. I have no mods. Have tried Sun 93, Shell V, Pioneer, etc all high octane an pinging persists. For some messed up reason I need about 2 L of extra oil between my 6K km engine oil and filter replacements. In case your wondering, the dealership replaced my first engine under warranty for burning 1L of oil about every 2K km. The second engine is probably not far behind. All this is very disapointing and I did not expect this from an engine that is highly touted in the car business (engine awards, owners raving, etc.)

wolfman
Old 08-04-2006, 10:22 PM

My engine pinged when it was stock..and now with timing advance and intake it still pings. As mentioned aove it happens in the 1800-2100 RPM range. It's been hot in jersey...

I ran 93 w/ octane booster today..and it still pings..especially w/ ac.

Chas
Old 08-14-2006, 11:43 AM

If your car is pinging excessively or more than what is considered "normal", wouldn't the obvious conclusion be a bad knocking sensor...as it would not be doing its job.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think it is a somewhat common issue with nissan products. I owned a 93 240sx before i got my max and when i passed 100k on the 240 it began to ping slightly at lower rpm when the engine was between idle and 2nd gear. But the car lasted til 180k with no engine problems (however someone ran into it and totalled it haha, but it allowed me to get the maxima so it was ok). I also owned a 87 nissan sentra before that and well...that was a piece of crap but it also had some ping issues.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:38 AM

I had some knocking with my 240sx and at the garage was told that it was some of the plastic wheels that the drivebelt is running on. Just my experience, most likely you have something else going on.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:05 PM

I recnetly went on business trip. they gave me a infinit g35..I put the hightest octane possible in va. And the ***** pinged..same as the max! It was very obvious when i had the ac on!

Chas
Old 08-22-2006, 04:35 PM

Alrighty, these FU@^ers say everything in the car is good but my fuel injectors are no good and try to use Aamco gas 93 octane only.
i told them thats all i use, but its okay. i'll give it a week and if the results comes negative, i'm gonna raise hell.
the service advisor is William Polanco(Garden City), he use to be on maxima.org and he knows Marco Polo.whateva, extra info just in case yall decide to go get ur serviced there.
i'm picking up my car tomorrow morning and im driving local to work just to see if there's any difference.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:58 AM

Um... I think a lot of people here are mistaken. I honestly don't think any 5.5 gens are actually pinging or knocking. That rattling/ticking sound around ~2K RPM under moderate load (and moreso w/ a hot engine) is supposedly a loose screen/filter in the stock exhaust manifold.

What I'd like to know is, how many people w/ aftermarket headers even have this problem? I honestly think none....

DISCUSS!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:01 AM

Virtually all gasoline "brands" come from the same tanks at gasoline storage facilities. That is, BP, Exxon, Amoco etc. trucks get their gas from the same large storage tanks. The difference in gas blends comes from the state level where each state can mandate a different type or blend of gas. Currently, there are about 18 different formulas the refiners must blend for regional and state regulations. This is part of the reason we have such high gas prices.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:18 AM

mine pings and i got an 02 all stock pings around 2k rpms and its gettin olddddddddddd
Old 08-23-2006, 02:18 PM

Day One:
so far so good. I drove up and down Old Country Rd. and no sign of rattle.
on the way home, i figure to turn the AC on the SS parkway n then turn it off when i got home locally n still no rattle.

Folks, let me give it a week.

They change the fuel injectors
Cost of Parts n Labor = 217.00
Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 PM

Bear in mind our cars have timing chains and those do clatter. Perhaps what you hear can be mistaken for that. A good oil and filter can change that problem. Perhaps try a higher viscosity oil.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

you know what i thought i was the only one with this problem but yea my max also has the same symptomes as described in this thread. its not always there but i notice the ping, rattle, knocking whatever u want to call it upto about 3500 rpm. and its really pissing me off. i have about 45k miles on my max now. has anyone sucessfully fixed this problem?
Old 08-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

have you tried a tune up!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:23 AM

Nobody listens to my input but that's alright... continue using different brand gasolines and replacing parts that don't need replacing. Until i find a max owner w/ headers that has this issue, I'm standing by my statement.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:08 PM

guys i had the same problem and it was kicking my a$$. I change the spark plugs and like night and day the pining when away. like some one said before " crosing fingers"
Old 09-08-2006, 11:51 AM
RSG

joebangaa, I am hearing you and will start looking into the exhaust manifold. How do you check for loose screen / filter? One thing I don't understand why the pining problem occurs most frequently between 1700 - 2100 RPM. Vibration frequency maybe?

This morning I had my 2k2 I35 checked for code (no CEL) to look for bad MAF / Knock sensors as well as the timing.... report shows everything is set within specs and no codes were found. Next we were planning to clean the throttle body and it is quite clean that the tech told me it is not necessary.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:59 AM

I changed my plugs at 60k and the pinging has almost dissappeared. I also had my timing changed back to stock 15deg btdc and thoroughly cleaned the throttle body and upper manifold and I always run BP or Amoco 93. I noticed just yesterday that their is still a slight ping in the same rpm range with the same throttle input. Well I guess we should just learn to live with this until we are ready to step up and spend some real dough $40k+ on new direct inj. Audi or Lexus where a the higher 11.0:1 and higher comp. ratios seem to be no problem. I think our engines are only 10.3:1 so I find it hard to believe that Nissan couldn't have found a way to prevent all this pinging from occuring.

Besides the ping I had a seperate hissing noise that was especially apparent when idling in my garage or when up against any sort of wall or building. I thought I had an exhaust leak or thought maybe my precats were shot so I installed headers. I took extra special care when doing the install, I tightly wrapped the headers and flex with high quality fiberglass headerwrap, installed new Nissan gaskets and made sure everything was torqued down very good but the hiss is still there. I just say to myself this only happens less than 5% of the time I drive the car so f uck it.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:11 PM

What kind of headers were these again?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:02 PM

They are Hotshot, why do you ask? The wrap was to keep heat in but more importantly help keep some noise down.

They bolted up perfectly and I relocated the downstream O2's to behind the main cat to get rid of the other codes.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:25 PM

are those custom SFCs?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by joebangaa
Nobody listens to my input but that's alright... continue using different brand gasolines and replacing parts that don't need replacing. Until i find a max owner w/ headers that has this issue, I'm standing by my statement.
I have headers and I have pinging.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:36 AM

My wife always fuel the Murano with 87 octane, let me guess that why I can ear the engine ping a little once in a while. My max doesn't ping at all but I fuel it with super only. ( 91 - 94 )
Old 09-11-2006, 06:30 AM

The only time my car has ever done this is on fuel less than 93 octane. We have picky cars. Even 89 knocks a little, which is intolerable to me. What's funny is, as soon as 93 gets back into the tank, the knock is gone.

I don't know how you drive your car or what the tune-up situation is, but my short-term advice is never use anything less than 93.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
I have headers and I have pinging.
Are you SURE you are PINGING? I honestly think most people on here don't exactly know what pinging sounds like. I know with almost complete certainty that the RATTLE that we hear around 2K RPM is NOT pinging. I've heard pinging and knocking on several other cars, and it's a very distinct sound. In addition, the RATTLE is coming from a lower location of the vehicle--it almost sounds like it's coming from underneath the car.

I'm probably going to check out my sway bar links as suggested by others in a related thread next week when I change my oil. Hopefully they were indeed right about the source of the RATTLE.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by joebangaa
are those custom SFCs?
Not custom... these are from Warpspeed, stages 1&2 and they made the car have a completely different, upscale feel.

As far as this ping situation, I have noticed after changing the plugs that it will take ambient temps in the 85+ degrees for this to occur. It is definitely Much better, so much so, that even as **** as I can be about how my car runs, it doesn't seem to bother me much anymore. I mainly hear it when driving through my neighborhood with the windows down and the small hills need only small throttle input and the quiet environment and the windows down allow you to hear it clearly.

Your car must not ping as I can see that you are having a hard time believing that so many are having this issue. Believe me, I would be happy if I were you if yours doesn't ping. But this sound is unmistakeable as you can invoke it "just so" with the right amount of throttle input, about 15% -20%, and then only in the 1700-2000 rpm range. Any more or any less and it is not there.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by pikers
The only time my car has ever done this is on fuel less than 93 octane. We have picky cars. Even 89 knocks a little, which is intolerable to me. What's funny is, as soon as 93 gets back into the tank, the knock is gone.

I don't know how you drive your car or what the tune-up situation is, but my short-term advice is never use anything less than 93.
Ummm, who is the woman in your sig and why is she there??
Old 09-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can anyone please tell where can i get a good deal (in dallas) on tires for my 2002 maxima gle ?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by MaxDallas
Can anyone please tell where can i get a good deal (in dallas) on tires for my 2002 maxima gle ?
Umm, this is called 'hijacking a thread'...please refrain.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:22 PM

My 2000 is definately pinging (knocking). It is definately not some rattle coming up from down below. I used to have this problem years ago w a high compression Chevy, and even w high octane gas proper timing was critical. If it was advanced too much, same exact sound, under similar conditions.

I have never used anything but good quality 93 Octane gas. I'm taking a step by step approach. 56k miles, today I replaced the plugs w stock Platinum NGK's. No luck. Runs great when engine cold (as always), but once it warms up and it's hot out too (80+), w light acceleration, the knock is still there. If you leave the same amount of pressure on the gas pedal, it will linger. If you let up or give it more gas the problem clears up.

Believe me I am confused. Some posts have said the alleged faulty ignition coils can do this (I did have to pay $250 to the stealership 3 yrs ago to replace one), but most posts on that talk about the issue I had then (misfiring). I also see SOME posts about this being cleared up by the MAF being replaced, but again, most of those posts talk more about lack of power or serious flat spots in the power curve (above 4k), not about knocking/pinging.

Where the heck is the "anti-knock sensor" that is supposed to retard timing to prevent knock, and is it possible it could go "bad"?

Has anyone gone step by step and found SOMETHING that for sure licked this? I worry about my engine...

Quick Reply: I'm sick of my car fuc#&! knocking/pinging