5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I'm sick of my car fuc#&! knocking/pinging

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:40 PM

for people don't know what pinging is. when i had my turbo'd mazda it sounded like nails in a metal container shakin around.

chas

p.s. with 93 my car still pings!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Nightmare = Reality

im wondering if most of you are getting pinging from the heatshielding on the stock headers. CAIs too. These are all steel or aluminum pieces that have air flow through them, and simple harmonics combined with the heat can "syncronize" these parts to a particular vibration that's natural to our VQ engines. I remember when i raced 2-cycles that after a race the exhaust would "ping" from the metal expanding and contracting in reaction to the heat. It would tend to make sense for many of your descriptions, as it seems like hotter conditions and specific RPM ranges exaggerates this effect. Now, I'm not a scientist or anything so smart but i think there's enough information here to warrant some weight to this theory. Anyone care to toy with this idea? maybe we can put together some hard information. Knocking, on the other hand, is more on the ignition/fuel/computer side of things, and could be anything from predetonation(low octane) faulty injectors or ECU interacting poorly to mods.

P.S.- No pinging here and over 100k on an 03, so i must either be lucky, or doing something right.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:13 PM
RSG

Humm... if it is the heatshielding on the stock headers, wouldn't the noise come up even with no throttle? In my case, the "ping" occurs only when I step on the gas pedal lightly. Once release it will immediately go away. Like raelity, I'm worry about the engine.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:46 PM

Fix it or replace it but please stop whining.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by jeff4725
Fix it or replace it but please stop whining.
Wow, dude, what's w the attitude. I thought this board was a place where you could post problems and have some collective input from others who might be able to help you out. That's not whining. Get constructive or go away...
Old 09-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Nightmare = Reality

RSG: not really. you have to think that, despite the VQ's insane smoothness, a v6 is not an ideal engine configuration, there are higher-order harmonic vibrations that exsist in all engines except 3. An inline-6, a 90deg V8, and a rotary. These are the only naturally balanced engines because their designs either produce little/no vibration (rotary) or the cylinders evenly cancel out each other's vibrations. But what i was pointing out above is that certain RPMs interact with the natural resonating frequency of materials and how solidly they are joined to one another. in your case, 1850RPMs or something silly like that could cause a rattle/ping from a heatsheild on the back header with a single bolt a quarter turn too loose. It could be that specific, or more generalized. It's really tough for engineers to remove vibration from a vehicle that travels over varying terrain with a mass of parts that rotate themselves. this is why you hear about a chassis being stiffer than a previous generation, so it will not resonate with road or engine vibration.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:35 PM
RSG

Appreciate the explanation, very informative. What is the easiest way to check (get to) the heatsheild on the back header? Please advise.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by MaxDallas
Can anyone please tell where can i get a good deal (in dallas) on tires for my 2002 maxima gle ?
Why are yo asking in this thread....
Old 09-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Nightmare = Reality

RSG; You think it might be the back heatshield or are you running off what i said? if you think it might have something to do with it, then the best way is to get up under the car. I'm mostly pointing out these possibilities as an example. I've been getting a metal rattle in my front end and at first i assumed it was a loose suspension component but now i have reason to suspect my hood. so, you have to be VERY observant to audible and visual queues when trying to assess these NVH problems.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:25 AM

I would agree with Maxim(a)SerjVQ. I noticed a vibration/rattling coming from near the front end at almost exactly 2k. I was in a Midas for some work and the technician said that rattle was just a heat shield. Makes sense to me.

I also agree that most of the gasolines from most stations are the same. Certainly not different enough for maximas to notice.

Still suffering from knocking (not pinging).
Old 03-07-2007, 11:07 AM

ok.. sorry but i had to revive this thread again... someone please tell me you have some news about this pinging crap??? plzzz!!!
so far here is what I have tried and i still get the pinging:
-Oil thickner to lubricate the chain
-Fuel injectors cleaned
-Denso iridium spark plugs
-throttle body cleaned
-had some gaskets replaced near the coils or something .. but thats only casue they were leaking
... and i still get the pinging, i do have a cold air intake but dont think that is causing the problem.. oh ya another thing.. if anyone has cleaned their throttlebody and had problems relearning the timing..even after resetting it.. try this.. put stock intake in and then relearn the timing... unfortunaltely stealship made me buy a new throttlebody cause they couldnt relearn the timing.. but i realized after i just had to put the stock box back in.. cause they had to do that even after installing the new TB.. anyhow off topic..
I think I am going to try chaning my coils see if that does the trick.. but before i spend more $$ on this annoying problem i jsut wanted to know if anyone has found a solution yet??
any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by djchinky
ok.. sorry but i had to revive this thread again... someone please tell me you have some news about this pinging crap??? plzzz!!!
-Fuel injectors cleaned
-throttle body cleaned
-had some gaskets replaced near the coils or something .. but thats only casue they were leaking
... and i still get the pinging, i do have a cold air intake but dont think that is causing the problem.. oh ya another thing.. if anyone has cleaned their throttlebody and had problems relearning the timing..even after resetting it.. try this.. put stock intake in and then relearn the timing... unfortunaltely stealship made me buy a new throttlebody cause they couldnt relearn the timing.. but i realized after i just had to put the stock box back in.. cause they had to do that even after installing the new TB.. anyhow off topic..
I think I am going to try chaning my coils see if that does the trick.. but before i spend more $$ on this annoying problem i jsut wanted to know if anyone has found a solution yet??
any input would be appreciated.
Just curious which CAI you are running? I went from a stock air box to a Injen CAI that picked up air from the botton of the radiator and I noticed pinging and drop in mid range power after the install. The pipes were also hot to the touch. I ran it for about a week and went back to the stock air box. Have you tried to decarbon the engine with some intake cleaner? What grade fuel do you run? Also some Redline Water wetter to bring the coolant temp at bit shouldn't hurt unless you're in Alaska or somewhere where it gets real cold. Heat is your enemy.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 PM

Save your money and don't bother with new coils, as that is not your problem. After trying absolutely everything to get rid of the ping, I finally took another org members advice and installed one step colder NGK platinums a few days ago. So far no noticeable performance or mileage loss and most importantly NO more ping. I know you just replaced these plugs and it is an hour or so job, but trust me you will like the way the engine runs with these 6range plugs installed.

On a side note, any "cold" air intake that relocates the filter to behind the radiator is garbage.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by SEDaveMax
Just curious which CAI you are running? I went from a stock air box to a Injen CAI that picked up air from the botton of the radiator and I noticed pinging and drop in mid range power after the install. The pipes were also hot to the touch. I ran it for about a week and went back to the stock air box. Have you tried to decarbon the engine with some intake cleaner? What grade fuel do you run? Also some Redline Water wetter to bring the coolant temp at bit shouldn't hurt unless you're in Alaska or somewhere where it gets real cold. Heat is your enemy.
I have a Injen CAI, do you think there is any work around this by keeping my CAI?? it sounds soo good sort of dont wanna let it go.. also for the sparkplugs.. i just spend lots of $$ on these denso irridiums.. but if it really bothers.. then i guess i will have to try it..
on another side note.. i bought my car almost a year ago.. i recently got my plugs changed and my mechanic noticed that 2 of them were not screwed in tightly so oil leaked out and into the coils.. my friend cleaned out the coils with oil in it.. would this damage the coils? if so how come i dont get misfire codes? i need the misfire codes in order for the dealer to change it under warranty..
Old 03-08-2007, 02:36 PM

The oil on your plugs is from the Valve cover O rings that cover each spark plug tube. The center ones are usually the culprit and some oil will get down on the top part of the plug but usually not much, certainly not enough to damage a coil. If you want to get a "cyl misfire" code just unplug one of your coils harness plug with the car running and you will definitely get a code, if that is what your dealer requires before doing the warranty work.

Stock heat range "5" plugs are the main issue with this pinging, switch to some "6" range plugs, any style, plat, copper or iridium and you will be ping free.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:27 AM

appreciate the response.. i just put denso irridiums.. is that "6" range plugs?? even though i did that i still get the pinging...
Old 03-17-2007, 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=djchinky]ok.. sorry but i had to revive this thread again... someone please tell me you have some news about this pinging crap??? plzzz!!!
-Fuel injectors cleaned
-throttle body cleaned
... and i still get the pinging,

-I posted awhile back, I was as frustrated as you. Finally I broke down a couple months ago and went to the stealership. They said they replaced the MAF, cleaned the intake manifold (or injectors not sure), and reset the engine computer. It has been driving like new again! No pinging whatsover. So glad - it was really getting bad, especially in Georgia summers. Best of luck w yours. I just wish I had bought the MAF myself. The work was $585.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:48 PM

The work was $585.
HOLY ****

man i would of done it for a tank a gas and a 12 pack
Old 03-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Knocking badly!

I'm from Australia, but by A32 Maxima is knocking badly in the high revs on warm days. I have had it looked at. The knock sensor has been replaced, it runs on 98 fuel and I have put in a fuel system cleaner all to no avail! What else could be doing this!!!! The car is completely stock! I have no other engine problems as far as I know and have it regularly serviced and has the standard heat range plugs. Has now done 183,000 km = 114,375 miles. Any help on this mystery problem would be of great use! Just hope I haven't done any damage, even though the bad knock has occured twice for about 1 second each time.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oh yeah, have also looked at the MAF. Looks fine, no junk on it at all, hot film is is good condition, and I have sprayed throttle body cleaner into the intake! ARRGHH. Still knocks! What else do I need to rid myself of this? Kerosine fuel???
Old 03-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kcowden
My max is knocking and pinging like crazy. It's driving me nuts... what the he!! am i supposed to do??? Is this normal... i can't think so. I use good gas and it still happens. Should i take it to the dealer just to get told there is no problem. This sucks!!!! Help please.
my maxima has the same problem i changed the knock sensor and now i will try to reset the ecu and also get a tune up done the loud knock sound went away and its a little better now but i see this is a problem with all maxima guess nissan is gonna have to step up their game if not i am ready to switch to a german car or a british car
Old 03-26-2007, 11:15 PM
BARF

~~~READ THIS~~~ITS THE ANSWER~~~

I had these same problems around 45k and I took my car to the dealer, it was the coil packs and my GMPP extended warrenty covered it. They replaced all 6 coil packs, After that the car still seamed slugish so I called Dave B. down at south point nissan. He shipped me up a MAF and now Im a 84K and running strong, Thank god for my 106k warrenty. Oh the dealer also cleaned out my injectors for no charge, and flashed my ECU.

So replace your coil packs and MAF, that fixed mine.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Revs2Hard
~~~READ THIS~~~ITS THE ANSWER~~~

I had these same problems around 45k and I took my car to the dealer, it was the coil packs and my GMPP extended warrenty covered it. They replaced all 6 coil packs, After that the car still seamed slugish so I called Dave B. down at south point nissan. He shipped me up a MAF and now Im a 84K and running strong, Thank god for my 106k warrenty. Oh the dealer also cleaned out my injectors for no charge, and flashed my ECU.

So replace your coil packs and MAF, that fixed mine.
I will have to look into this because 45k is just about the time mine started is pinging fit.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have this same problem... Ive been on this forum day in and out. went to the dealer and they thought it was the maf, so driving home after the ecu was reset etc i hear it again. i think im going to try colder plugs but just so fed up with this pinging!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Bad *** Newb

HOLY RESURRECTION BATMAN!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by cfd308
I have this same problem... Ive been on this forum day in and out. went to the dealer and they thought it was the maf, so driving home after the ecu was reset etc i hear it again. i think im going to try colder plugs but just so fed up with this pinging!
not gunna solve your problem.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 AM

100% MAF, Took me 6 months to finally realize it.after everything under the sun.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Would the results be immediate? He installed the Maf yesterday, reset and upgraded the ecu, do I have to wait till i get better results or would I know right away? He suggested this morning afte I called that I put some dry gas in after the tank emptied out. Im going to get the exhaust rattle im having taken car of later.
I have a 03 gle, use only 93, synthetic oil, baby the car, most of my stuff is either highway or short commutes, have a little over 65k on the car. had my FI system cleaned... IM really out of ideas, changed the PCV, was looking for that DIY Oil Can Catcher but cant find it here?
Other then new plugs and retarding the timing.. im sol on ideas
Thanks guys! board is amazing
Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

OH and the dealer ran it off the computer saying that he saw the Alpha was lean, hence why he changed the MAF...
Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 AM

The results where instant, I ordered it where i work, When i got here in the morning i disconnected the battery and after work in installed it, It was instant improvement.Feels like a new engine just as everyone has said with a new MAF, It dont even ping with 87 octane fuel which i dont recommend, I tried it for the hell of it, but i always run 93.

Last edited by Professor; 10-28-2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Food
Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

stupid question but since my stuff wasnt reset in the car. do you think I should disconnect the battery? the dealer did install it but we all know how those guys are?
Im just in a bad way with this thing
Old 11-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd just like to "ping" in here (ha-ha!) and say that my 2002 Maxima SE (6 speed manual) has never pinged. I just got it used with 112,000 KM on it, and only have driven it 2000KM so far, but I've never heard any pinging. I am putting 91 octane gas in it.

But it is cool weather now. Maybe something will happen in the summer time! I hope not.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Would the results be immediate? He installed the Maf yesterday, reset and upgraded the ecu, do I have to wait till i get better results or would I know right away? He suggested this morning afte I called that I put some dry gas in after the tank emptied out. Im going to get the exhaust rattle im having taken car of later.
I have a 03 gle, use only 93, synthetic oil, baby the car, most of my stuff is either highway or short commutes, have a little over 65k on the car. had my FI system cleaned... IM really out of ideas, changed the PCV, was looking for that DIY Oil Can Catcher but cant find it here?
Other then new plugs and retarding the timing.. im sol on ideas
Thanks guys! board is amazing

Do you burn oil? If you dont, an oil catch can wouldnt be needed... You could remove your VIAS on the side of your engine, and look inside your intake/upper plenum to see if you have a lot of oil inside there. I had a pool of oil in there however I had no pinging. At least I didnt hear it.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Do you guys think a new MAF would solve my pinging problem?

My engine knocks on warmer days (never when raining/cold) with 91 octane gas. However, when I put in Sunoco 94 octane the pinging/knocking sound is a lot less noticeable, almost non-existent. Could this be related to the MAF?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:54 PM
BARF

If you stand at the right front wheel can you hear the sound the best? If so it might be the timing chain guides, Im hearing the same kind of pinging sound when my car warms up. I took it to a local mechanic/friend and he just did one with the same problem. It was the timing chain guides, there ceramic and wear out over time. I would say thats your problem, I would put money on it.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok so little update....
Took your guys advice and purchased a step colder plugs (copper). No change. While changing them I found that the #3, #5 plugs were dripping in oil, went to the dealer and he replaced the tubes and seals under my extended warranty. Figuring that those two plugs were pretty fouled i expected the pinging to go away.
No such luck!
So far the dealer has changed my maf, replaced the gasket and the tubes so no more leak and replaced the plugs to stock. Car Runs like a champ, i mean thing hauls! But it still pings, I just ran another techtron cleaner to see if that may help, maybe some residual oil in the plugs so!? Believe me I live on this site trying to figure out what to do. My girlfriend has just about given up on me haha!
what next? any ideas? I have all the stuff for a catch can just have to install it. oh and I changed my fuel filter as well.
I run 93 octane from either BP or Sunoco, Mobil1 Synth.

Anything would help from what you guys can tell/see.
Thanks guys and gals!
Pinny
Old 11-15-2009, 05:56 AM

ok so little update....
Took your guys advice and purchased a step colder plugs (copper). No change. While changing them I found that the #3, #5 plugs were dripping in oil, went to the dealer and he replaced the tubes and seals under my extended warranty. Figuring that those two plugs were pretty fouled i expected the pinging to go away.
No such luck!
So far the dealer has changed my maf, replaced the gasket and the tubes so no more leak and replaced the plugs to stock. Car Runs like a champ, i mean thing hauls! But it still pings, I just ran another techtron cleaner to see if that may help, maybe some residual oil in the plugs so!? Believe me I live on this site trying to figure out what to do. My girlfriend has just about given up on me haha!
what next? any ideas? I have all the stuff for a catch can just have to install it. oh and I changed my fuel filter as well.
I run 93 octane from either BP or Sunoco, Mobil1 Synth.

Anything would help from what you guys can tell/see.
Thanks guys and gals!
Pinny
Yesterday, my Nissan shop performed a BG Product cleaning service. I've been pinging for months now between idle and 1700 rpm, under mild load, like crawling forward in first or second gear. They forced compressed chemicals directly through the fuel rail. I think it's a lot like Seafoam, in that the point was to break down and remove upper engine carbon deposits. The theory being, carbon build up retains heat and traces of fuel that can cause pre-detonation.

Anyway, the pinging is gone. The car ran rough for the first 20 miles, then smoothed out strong and smooth. However, the idle is currently messed up, and a SES came on last night. I was told to expect this for the first 50 miles, while everything burns through. While naturally I'm unhappy about the idle and SES issues, I'm also not done yet, and those are minor fixes.

The point being, my low-end pinging is gone.

It cost about $100. I realize a can of seafoam would have been only $10, but this was a different process, with different cleaners, and my shop insisted they would stand behind it as a fix; (or as a harmless process, in case the pinging wasn't about carbon build-up.)

Here's a link to find an authorized BG shop:

http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php

Good luck, man. I know this is an ancient thread, but your issues are current, and I just went through this yesterday. So maybe it helps to share what I'm doing to address the pinging in my ride.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-15-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:53 PM

Please do update your post after 50 miles and tell us if rough idle goes away along with SES. Is it missfire code?

- Vikas
Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM

i have never heard so much BS. if your car has issue on 89 oct,, there is a problem. (if all has failed look at (gas issue,, ethanol prob???)
my '01 runs like mad on 87 octane,, no ping'n but at full throttle it changes the timing back 2-3 degrees for 3-4 seconds,,
my '07 will run on 87 now that the weather is cooler with out a problem unless i go full throtle and---- there is no ping'n but a very slight reduction in timing.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by sontakke
Please do update your post after 50 miles and tell us if rough idle goes away along with SES. Is it missfire code?

- Vikas
It's been about 80 miles now. The idle isn't rough, it's high. It runs around 1200, hovers for a few seconds before dropping down to 900. Normal idle is around 700, with no hover behavior. The engine isn't rough at all... it's very smooth, and the pinging is gone.

I called the shop, and they said that happens a lot with this service as the chemicals get burned through. I'm to bring the car back tomorrow night so they can reset the ECU to clear the SES, and then invoke the Idle Re-learn. I'll post back after it resets.

BTW - the car is pulling a little stronger now, which makes sense, I suppose. I'm certainly not complaining.

Quick Reply: I'm sick of my car fuc#&! knocking/pinging