5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I'm sick of my car fuc#&! knocking/pinging

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 PM

Just as I've been saying there are gas stations out there selling you 93 octane but in reality you're getting some mixed 93, 87, 91 go here to http://www.khou.com/news/Records-sho...-70233502.html and check out the gas station article....I've always suspected this and stopped getting gas from those stations when pinging was evident after fueling up @ that particular location!

Last edited by CMax03; 11-16-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by sontakke
Please do update your post after 50 miles and tell us if rough idle goes away along with SES. Is it missfire code?

- Vikas
My SES code is P0507 - High Idle. Apparently the throttle body valve was compromised by the cleaning service. You can't read this forum without knowing how insanely sensitive that valve is on the 5.5 gen. The technician who processed the cleaning service was following generic instructions from BG Products. There was nothing specific about *****-footing around the valve on the VQ35.

So the dealership will be replacing the valve, and BG Products said they will pay the bill. Everybody is standing behind their work and their product.

But to the point of this thread: the BG Products "Upper Engine Cleaning Service" has completely eliminated the pinging in my Maxima. The engine is running very smooth, and very strong. To that end, I couldn't be happier.

About the throttle body valve and the SES... that's all been figured out, and will be fixed soon enough. Again, I'm happy.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 AM

I don't want to beat a dead horse but try to find youtube video about similar 3M product called DIY Fuel System Tuneup Kit. They specifically tell you to turn on the ignition key (but the engine is NOT running) and then have a helper to push the gas pedal to move the throttle plate around. That method works on regular and drive by wire throttle systems.

I am surprised that BG did not have updated instructions for generic drive-by-wire throttles. Majority of late model vehicles these days have drive-by-wire throttle. I don't know if they are all as sensitive as the 3.5 though. Why 3.5 can not be reset has always been a mystery to me. I mean how difficult could it be for the computer to be told that now the throttle plate is closed completely and use the readings that you get as the base.

Speculation:- In your case, computer thinks it has closed the throttle completely and is still getting 900 RPM idle, so it throws a code. The reason idle is high is that the throttle plate is misaligned after moving manually to clean it so it is not really closed completely. But that sounds too simple to fix assuming you could manually close it completely.

- Vikas

Last edited by sontakke; 11-19-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Rochester-thanks for the update. The BG locator showed the Nissan dealer here in Arlington does the service. I had a similar service done on my old Accord and it definitely made a difference in smoothness and got a small gain in mileage. Didn't have a pinging problem with that car though.

I get the light ping or rattle from 1700-2200 rpm, and even octane booster didn't help.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:55 AM

More on this...

Although BG Products will pay for the parts and labor (which amounts to somewhere south of $500), I personally did not want to have the dealership do this work if it wasn't necessary. I mean, it's been about 100 miles on the car since the cleaning service, and the car runs excellent without any pinging; except for this high idle problem that they couldn't resolve.

So this morning, I took the kitchen timer to work with me, and sat in the parking lot with the manual Idle Re-learn Procedure instructions. I went through the dance 3 times before getting it right... and it took! My idle has returned to normal. Later tonight I'm going to do the dance for the ECU reset to clear the SES light and codes.

I gotta tell you, I'm feeling pretty empowered right about now. It's kind of silly, I know, but I really didn't want to replace a working, installed (and now clean) throttle body valve.

[edited]

Well, crap. Although the idle was perfect when restarting after the Idle Relearn, it was not correct on subsequent restarts. I verified that again this afternoon: warm up, reset, restart = perfect. Restart again = fail.

So now I'm having the TB replaced next week. (color me sad again)

Last edited by Rochester; 11-20-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:20 AM

I recall somebody saying that they had to do this procedure *Twice in a Row*; I believe he meant
warm up, reset, restart = perfect, reset, restart
and now he claimed it remained perfect.

- Vikas
Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 AM

It's the throttle body for sure.... I had the exact same problem after doing my spacers and cleaning the throttle body, but I just pushed the flap manually without any concern for it at all! Anyway, start the car, high idle code... I tired everything including all the ecu reset and relearn at least 100 times(I know how to do it from memory now), including unplugging the injectors to manually lower the rpm... After I went crazy, I bought a new throttle body from the dealership, installed, did the relearn and it's perfect again... I know sooner had to get a new ecu for some reason but wasn't necessary for me. My car use to ping like crazy too, until I put my headers on and got rid of the totally plugged precats, switched to 94 fuel and now it'll only give me a small little ping once and a while which is normal... Still going to switch to a 350z Tstat and do a coolant flush at the same time. Also got the ecu updated through Nissan, that helped too... Good luck!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by sontakke
I recall somebody saying that they had to do this procedure *Twice in a Row*; I believe he meant
warm up, reset, restart = perfect, reset, restart
and now he claimed it remained perfect.

- Vikas
OK, I'll try that, although I'm not feeling too positive about it:

reset, restart, reset, restart... restart = ?

Made an appointment for next Wed to get a new TB on BG's dime. I'd really rather avoid having the dealership muck around with the engine, particularly since I've got those spacers installed... but I'm not seeing any way around this. And it's just upper-engine stuff, anyway.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by D's036spd
It's the throttle body for sure.... I had the exact same problem after doing my spacers and cleaning the throttle body, but I just pushed the flap manually without any concern for it at all! Anyway, start the car, high idle code... I tired everything including all the ecu reset and relearn at least 100 times(I know how to do it from memory now), including unplugging the injectors to manually lower the rpm... After I went crazy, I bought a new throttle body from the dealership, installed, did the relearn and it's perfect again... I know sooner had to get a new ecu for some reason but wasn't necessary for me. My car use to ping like crazy too, until I put my headers on and got rid of the totally plugged precats, switched to 94 fuel and now it'll only give me a small little ping once and a while which is normal... Still going to switch to a 350z Tstat and do a coolant flush at the same time. Also got the ecu updated through Nissan, that helped too... Good luck!
Thanks, man. I really appreciate reading that. Makes me feel better about replacing the TB.

You seem to know a lot for a 16-post lurker
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 PM

Lol ya I read more than I talk! I felt alot better too after I installed the TB, did the relearn process, shut off the car, started it up and it was idle perfect... I almost started jumping up and down! I tried everything including the 2 time relearn, I did 5 times... Unplugged the battery for 3 days while leaving the headlght switch on to completly drain the ecu... Nothing worked besides the new throttle body. Note to self: DONT MOVE BUTTERFLY IN THROTTLE BODY!!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by D's036spd
Lol ya I read more than I talk! I felt alot better too after I installed the TB, did the relearn process, shut off the car, started it up and it was idle perfect... I almost started jumping up and down! I tried everything including the 2 time relearn, I did 5 times... Unplugged the battery for 3 days while leaving the headlght switch on to completly drain the ecu... Nothing worked besides the new throttle body. Note to self: DONT MOVE BUTTERFLY IN THROTTLE BODY!!
Dealership replaced the throttle body today. Nice, new parts. The idle is perfect once again.

Best of all, BG Products paid 100% of the parts & labor for this repair. That's pretty awesome for them to stand behind their warranty that way. It says a lot about a company that they would do that.

So... the pinging is back to normal, the car runs better, and I've got a shiny new throttle body out of the deal. All in all, I'm very happy. Just took a little patience and education.

The patience I'm learning as I age. The education... Maxima.org.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:40 PM

That's beautiful man! Glad it all worked out for ya and didn't cost you anything too... It's nice when things go right!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kcowden
My max is knocking and pinging like crazy. It's driving me nuts... what the he!! am i supposed to do??? Is this normal... i can't think so. I use good gas and it still happens. Should i take it to the dealer just to get told there is no problem. This sucks!!!! Help please.
i have 2 02's they both knock periodically, be consistent with your gas always use 93 and change the oil early, around 2000-2500. keep air filter clean and if you drive on empty often you should replace the filters.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ZIPPIN
read this . really the only think i have changed so far is, getting 93 fuel at AMOCO. The pinging is gone and i am not getting coughing any more at 4K. i will change the fuel filter next weekend...good luck
if the car was hesitating. you may need to check your coil packs. not an easy job. valve cover gaskets go bad an let oil in the chamber this could ruin a plug and coil. if you'r handy the front three plugs are easy to check.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 AM

Well, my advice is the sensors. I currently have knocking and pinging. this is the second time i had the problem. I got them changed and the problem was gone. But i think they got wet again. So yup, Im going to change them.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
Bear in mind, dba1999us has a 2000 model... kcowden has a 2003 model... the 3.5L (2002+)'s are known to ping a lot for some odd reason?
Mine has never pinged...using midgrade gas. I was also told by the dealer there was no gas filter to change on my 03. Hard to beleive..no filter in front of the injectors!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Roymg
Mine has never pinged...using midgrade gas. I was also told by the dealer there was no gas filter to change on my 03. Hard to beleive..no filter in front of the injectors!!!
Nissan calls is a "fuel strainer"; supposedly a lifetime filter. It's in the tank, accessed from under the rear seat. Lots of people here on the forum change it at least once during the lifetime of their car.

Here's one of the definitive write-ups on changing the fuel strainer:

http://www.shiftice.com/fuel_filter.html
Old 12-06-2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Nissan calls is a "fuel strainer"; supposedly a lifetime filter. It's in the tank, accessed from under the rear seat. Lots of people here on the forum change it at least once during the lifetime of their car.

Here's one of the definitive write-ups on changing the fuel strainer:

http://www.shiftice.com/fuel_filter.html

Thanks for the info site. Very good.