5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Grey Lustre or Sterling Mist????

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 09:46 PM
mgold07

OK I need your 2 cents here! I'm getting the 2001 GLE....I'm torn on what color to get! Do I get:

Grey Lustre with Frost Leather

OR

Sterling Mist with Black Leather

Please! Help me make my decision! Some pros/cons maybe? Thanks! Email me!

Old 02-18-2001, 10:01 PM

I would take the sterling mist if I had to pick between the two. But the black leather could get hotter than the frost would if you live in a sunny place. But the Grey Lustre would last longer without a car wash. It's pretty much about personal preference. If you like the Sterling Mist one, but don't like the black, then see if your dealer would do a search for you to see if they can locate one with a different color leather.
Old 02-18-2001, 10:28 PM

the gray luster was my pick and i still like it better over all the other colors.. if it weren't for the gray i'de get the sterling.. but just put it this way, the gray luster being a dark color is very high mantainance. any dirt would make it look dirtier tahn it actually is. and i don't recomend the frost leather tho i like it more than black because it gets dirty real easy. after the car gets older you'll form dirt deposites and the wrinkles just tend to show up better. black on the other hand does raise the interior temp.. but i got black on black.. and tinted the car.. the tint makes a huuuuge difference. so i say if u want convenience go for silver on black. but if you don't mind the maintanance then go black (gray luste) on frost.

but of course u'll get a million answers per million replies.
Old 02-19-2001, 01:44 AM

I would recommend you get grey luster rather than sterling mist because it looks better in my opinion. Having a Sterling Mist myself, it really doesn't need to wash as frequent as a Grey Luster. But everytime I see a grey luster I regret that I didn't pick grey. It looks black at night and dark grey at daytime. Since there are many Sterling Mist maximas already, a grey luster may be a better choice.
Old 02-19-2001, 04:37 AM
Oiprocs

Definitely sterling mist...

My 2001 GXE was Grey Lustre and now my 2001 SE is Sterling Mist. When I got rid of the GXE I totally opted for Sterling Mist above Grey lustre (even though the lustre is HOT!) because it showed too many things. The slightest scratch or ding or any road mark came up BRIGHT white against the dark background color. Anytime it rained or snowed or anything the car looked FILTHY instantly. Where as now with the sterling mist..I'm SURE there are "road marks" on it already but I can't see ONE! And also after rain, it doesn't look dirty. I was at the car wash this weekend and some guy asked me why I was washing it because it looked clean to him. Meanwhile the car was FILTHY and hadn't been washed in a week. So you know which color I'd go for....since I chose between the same two!

Old 02-19-2001, 05:57 AM

If I could only go back in time...

I would get the Sterling Mist. It was my next choice but I couldn't find a GXE in that color equipped the way my Icelandic Pearl GXE is. As others have posted, Mist is a lighter color than the Gray and would definately look cleaner when it really isn't. As a past owner of a black vehicle, I swear I will NEVER own any dark colored car again in my life. That paint ate up a lot of weekends trying to maintain it.
Old 02-19-2001, 06:29 AM

No complaints with Grey Lustre. Love the color, high maintenance - maybe, but not as high as Super Black. Without a garage, Super Black was OUT for me!
Old 02-19-2001, 06:33 AM

GREY LUSTRE!
Old 02-19-2001, 08:03 AM

I have both (see below)

I got the Gray Lustre because I wanted black, but figured the Gray Lustre would be easier to keep clean. It is, but just barely. I really wanted a black interior, but could not find one when I was looking.

My wife then bought a Sterling Mist with the black interior. While I prefer my Gray Lustre, her Sterling Mist shows a lot less dirt. But I really love her black interior - it makes the car look much better than the Frost (IMHO).

Either way, I would not disagree with your choices...
Old 02-19-2001, 10:02 AM

go with sterling mist and black leather if ya can find one..I had to wait about 3 month's to get one with a 5 speed..but it was worth the wait and i really like tit.
Old 02-19-2001, 10:15 AM

Sterling Mist = LOW LOW MAINTENENCE, DOESN'T SHOW SCRATCHES, STAYS CLEAN LOOKING, STAYS COOLER IN THE HEAT.
Old 02-19-2001, 10:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Gotta say...read the signature...the hottest color on the Maxima IMHO.
Old 02-19-2001, 12:13 PM
Oiprocs

well, well, well

Originally posted by silvermaxd
go with sterling mist and black leather if ya can find one..I had to wait about 3 month's to get one with a 5 speed..but it was worth the wait and i really like tit.
Someone have something else on his mind other than paint colors?

Old 02-19-2001, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my opinion:
se's look better in Grey Lustre
gle's look better in Sterling Mist
reason being that Grey Lustre looks more sporty and Sterling Mist looks more luxurious.
Old 02-19-2001, 06:02 PM

neither

just kidding, sort of. Both colors are sharp and my next choice other than Merlot would have been Sterling Mist.

Get what you like...that's what counts. srm
Old 02-19-2001, 06:57 PM

I would go for the sterling mist and the black interior, I have the sterling mist and the frost interior. I wish I had the black interior. The frost carpet shows all dirt and stains easily.