5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I called Energy Suspension..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by t56gen3
..and inquired about motor mount inserts for the VQ35. They seem to think they will have something around December.

I installed a set of these on a Spec V and completely eliminated wheel hop--not to mention virtually eliminated engine movement. The inserts slide onto the existing bushings making them very easy to install, and still allowing for some slight movement (vibration dampening) while limiting the torquing of the engine under load. Best $40 you can spend on a Spec V.

Everyone call and request em!
Dudes what is wheel hop?
Old 10-29-2003, 06:34 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by 2k2MerlotSE
sorry for the confusion, but I may not be speaking the right language.

I thought that these were some type of replacement bushing on the motor mount. I have no idea how it works. This is all new to me.

So you are saying these are motor mounts? I was under the impression that the motor has to be lifted to install the mounts. I don't know. Maybe you can start from scratch and explain it to me. I want something to stop the wheell hop and I really don't care on the cost.

What would be the best replacement mod for this situation.

Thanks for being patient.
to stop wheel hop you need motor mounts, as for the technical aspects, I am not sure, but when I hear "stop wheel hop" I am game no matter what the part...

push comes to shove, my mechanic is doing this install anyway

Old 10-29-2003, 06:39 AM

email sent
Old 10-29-2003, 06:40 AM

Why is it $100 when its $40 for a spec-v?
Old 10-29-2003, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Igor911
Because not as many will be sold so they have to make back the R&D costs. Rules of supply and demand.....
Old 10-29-2003, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cutlr7
Because not as many will be sold so they have to make back the R&D costs. Rules of supply and demand.....
I hate economy
Old 10-29-2003, 06:47 AM
NT2SHBBY

Hey comie...who said it was $100??? I said best bang for buck for a UNDER $100 MOD!!!

and who knows what they will cost....I assume under $100, but shiet, if they are more, as long as they fix my hop, im good to go!

Old 10-29-2003, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2MerlotSE
sorry for the confusion, but I may not be speaking the right language.

I thought that these were some type of replacement bushing on the motor mount. I have no idea how it works. This is all new to me.

So you are saying these are motor mounts? I was under the impression that the motor has to be lifted to install the mounts. I don't know. Maybe you can start from scratch and explain it to me. I want something to stop the wheell hop and I really don't care on the cost.

What would be the best replacement mod for this situation.

Thanks for being patient.
Yes, these ARE motor mounts---but just the ones that control the motor movement.

The motor would have to be supported to replace the main weight-bearing mounts, but those will be unchanged. You will still need to at least support the engine/tranny when adding these inserts, but they don't carry the full weight of the assembly. This seemed to take care of all the wheel hop on the Spec I was working on---hopefully do the same for us. Even if it doesn't completely stop it, it will greatly reduce it and there is WAY too much driveline slack in the stock mounts, so it should drive much tighter.

I can't say for sure this will resolve ALL the wheel hop in the car----no one makes em yet. They make a HUGE difference in the Spec's, and for $50 I would invest in a set in a hearbeat! The driveline play alone is reason enough!

As far as the "single" solution for wheel hop---no one knows for sure yet. It seems that a series of things contribute to the problem. Stiffer springs and struts help out, and less driveline play ought to make a dramatic difference.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
Hey comie...who said it was $100??? I said best bang for buck for a UNDER $100 MOD!!!

and who knows what they will cost....I assume under $100, but shiet, if they are more, as long as they fix my hop, im good to go!

I'd easily pay $100 for less wheel hop. The driveline play is very annoying. I'm hoping it makes the shifting smoother with the manual trannies.....
Old 10-29-2003, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by t56gen3
I'd easily pay $100 for less wheel hop. The driveline play is very annoying. I'm hoping it makes the shifting smoother with the manual trannies.....
I hate my wheel hop too, but as for $100....hmmm

It's either this or the Aero Kit
Old 10-29-2003, 07:01 AM
NT2SHBBY

I hate my wheel hop too, but as for $100....hmmm

It's either this or the Aero Kit
get the mounts......

besides, do u think the kit is gonna get u more play with them young jailbaits u like to fool with??

Old 10-29-2003, 07:27 AM

I seriously doubt it would be $100 if it's only for the two mounts. It's not like it's a 1-off production. This will be a retail item for them. I'd say half that is more realisitic.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
to stop wheel hop you need motor mounts, as for the technical aspects, I am not sure, but when I hear "stop wheel hop" I am game no matter what the part...

push comes to shove, my mechanic is doing this install anyway
Steve(t56gen3) is my Mechanic
Old 10-29-2003, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by tekmode
Steve(t56gen3) is my Mechanic
I found him first. He is my mechanic. I just let him do some work on your car.

Also, I received this message from Energy Suspension.

Thank you very much for your interest in Energy Suspension products - and your specific request for motor mount inserts for the Maxima. I have received a ton of e-mail from Maxima owners requesting that we offer the sets - and I agree the project makes sense. I will deliver your (and other Maxima owners) comments/suggestions to our management and engineering departments to see if we can address the situation in the near future. All manufacturing projects take a bit of time and R&D effort - so please bear with me as I attempt to work this into our production schedule in 2004. Thanks again for your input and feel free to contact me at any time concerning our products.
Hoyt Vandenberg
Director of Public Relations
Energy Suspension
(949) 361-3935
hvandenberg@energysuspension.com
Old 10-29-2003, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by maximamaybe
I found him first. He is my mechanic. I just let him do some work on your car.

Also, I received this message from Energy Suspension.

Thank you very much for your interest in Energy Suspension products - and your specific request for motor mount inserts for the Maxima. I have received a ton of e-mail from Maxima owners requesting that we offer the sets - and I agree the project makes sense. I will deliver your (and other Maxima owners) comments/suggestions to our management and engineering departments to see if we can address the situation in the near future. All manufacturing projects take a bit of time and R&D effort - so please bear with me as I attempt to work this into our production schedule in 2004. Thanks again for your input and feel free to contact me at any time concerning our products.
Hoyt Vandenberg
Director of Public Relations
Energy Suspension
(949) 361-3935
hvandenberg@energysuspension.com
hahaha

Old 10-29-2003, 09:27 AM

Heh, I need to raise my rates......
Old 10-29-2003, 09:34 AM

emailed ..
Old 10-29-2003, 03:59 PM

How much R&D can go into these?!? I mean c'mon, they're rubber(polyurethane?) inserts for christ sake. Make a mold and viola'..........Make 'em strong enough to handle the torque of the vq35 and were set. Hell, I can only imagine how hard the 3.5 hits, cause my 3.0 bucks all over the place when I get on it. I need a new flex section
Old 10-30-2003, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by HondaKilLR
Just called and left a message to see if we can get some 3.0 mounts as well

FYI guys the 99-03 mounts r the same.

will
Old 10-30-2003, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by WILLSE
FYI guys the 99-03 mounts r the same.

will
Cool. Even the electronically controlled one's for us auto guys? Thanks so much Will..........
Old 10-30-2003, 07:53 AM

Cool. Even the electronically controlled one's for us auto guys? Thanks so much Will..........
im not exactly sure about the elecetronic ones but i know for a fact that the manual transmission mounts are the same bc i just replaced my rear mount the other day. i oredered a new one from nissan and had a convo with the parts guys and he said that from 99-03 (im assuming) manual trans. are the same. motor mount i just put on my car was marked as a 99 on the order and it fit perfect.

will
Old 10-30-2003, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by WILLSE
im not exactly sure about the elecetronic ones but i know for a fact that the manual transmission mounts are the same bc i just replaced my rear mount the other day. i oredered a new one from nissan and had a convo with the parts guys and he said that from 99-03 (im assuming) manual trans. are the same. motor mount i just put on my car was marked as a 99 on the order and it fit perfect.

will
So just the manual trans mount is the same? And I wonder what the 4th gen guys have for inserts right now? Anything besides PR? I'd much rather have inserts opposed to a permanent epoxy.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:55 AM
2-Wheelin it...

So just the manual trans mount is the same? And I wonder what the 4th gen guys have for inserts right now? Anything besides PR? I'd much rather have inserts opposed to a permanent epoxy.
speaking of 99-03 motor mounts being the same, does anyone know if any other bushing, or mount pieces are the same. i don't see how much different they can be. and if that's the case, they have front bushing sets for the 4th gens, including control arm set, swap bar set, and end link bushings. i know that on my 3rd gen, i used to get a lot of steering wheel wiggle and rattle, but then i swapped everything for an energy suspension set and it was much smoother.
the way i see it, a sway bar bushing is usually the same size, so i dont' see how it wouldn't fit.

link here:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/energys...on/maxima.html

any thoughts and opinions to that?
Old 10-30-2003, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by PoLo
speaking of 99-03 motor mounts being the same, does anyone know if any other bushing, or mount pieces are the same. i don't see how much different they can be. and if that's the case, they have front bushing sets for the 4th gens, including control arm set, swap bar set, and end link bushings. i know that on my 3rd gen, i used to get a lot of steering wheel wiggle and rattle, but then i swapped everything for an energy suspension set and it was much smoother.
the way i see it, a sway bar bushing is usually the same size, so i dont' see how it wouldn't fit.

link here:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/energys...on/maxima.html

any thoughts and opinions to that?

I could see differences to the front sway bar bushing varying on whether you have an SE or an GX(L)E, I believe the SE have a bigger diameter sway bar, hence, bigger bushing........
Old 10-30-2003, 09:13 AM
2-Wheelin it...

I could see differences to the front sway bar bushing varying on whether you have an SE or an GX(L)E, I believe the SE have a bigger diameter sway bar, hence, bigger bushing........
SE usually being the oddball, meaning there are usually only 2 different sizes...SE sizes and then GLE/GXE sizes....time to find out from daveb which ones, if any fit.

but, even if it's thicker, wouldn't expanding the hole make it just as good. what i'm mainly looking at is how it mounts. ALL bushings mount the same way, all control arm bushings look and mount the same, so technically, they're KINDA interchangable. that is unless the mounting holes simply don't line up.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:18 AM

SE usually being the oddball, meaning there are usually only 2 different sizes...SE sizes and then GLE/GXE sizes....time to find out from daveb which ones, if any fit.

but, even if it's thicker, wouldn't expanding the hole make it just as good. what i'm mainly looking at is how it mounts. ALL bushings mount the same way, all control arm bushings look and mount the same, so technically, they're KINDA interchangable. that is unless the mounting holes simply don't line up.

I think somebody with a 2k3 should try this since their bolts won't be already rusted to sh*t. Any suspension happy volunteers?!?
Old 10-30-2003, 09:20 AM
2-Wheelin it...

I think somebody with a 2k3 should try this since their bolts won't be already rusted to sh*t. Any suspension happy volunteers?!?
i'm already on it!!
daveb is gettin my call in a few minutes
Old 10-30-2003, 09:22 AM

i'm already on it!!
daveb is gettin my call in a few minutes
You Da Man!
Old 10-31-2003, 05:43 AM
2-Wheelin it...

You Da Man!
UPDATE:

daveb faxed over the diagram sheets for both 4th and 5th gen.

something i learned: hondakilr, i know you made the statement about the FSB's of SE's and GXE/GLE's being different because you read that somewhere on this forum, as did i. well, looking at the diagram, and talking it over with dave, they are the same. so if any bushings are released, they will fit all 5th gen models, not just 1 or the other.

secondly, the diagrams do show a difference, though not much of a difference. i'm attempting to get some visual comparisons made of both the control arms and the FSB. as far as end link bushings, we can forget that because 5th gens use a rod to connect everything. maybe that's why we feel everything and don't get any absorbtion.

in either case, i'm looking into the FSB and the control arm bushings. they look similiar, but not exact duplicates, so i'll have to get back to you on that.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:05 AM

UPDATE:

something i learned: hondakilr, i know you made the statement about the FSB's of SE's and GXE/GLE's being different because you read that somewhere on this forum, as did i. well, looking at the diagram, and talking it over with dave, they are the same. so if any bushings are released, they will fit all 5th gen models, not just 1 or the other.

secondly, the diagrams do show a difference, though not much of a difference. i'm attempting to get some visual comparisons made of both the control arms and the FSB. as far as end link bushings, we can forget that because 5th gens use a rod to connect everything. maybe that's why we feel everything and don't get any absorbtion.

in either case, i'm looking into the FSB and the control arm bushings. they look similiar, but not exact duplicates, so i'll have to get back to you on that.
Based on this information, do you think the inserts should work?
Old 10-31-2003, 07:11 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by maximamaybe
Based on this information, do you think the inserts should work?
well this information is solely comparing 4th and 5th gens, not 2k/2k1's and 2k2/2k3's. it also has nothing to do with inserts, but after talking with daveb about it, he's anxious as well to see the inserts developed. the benefit of these over full polyeurathane mounts is what was alreayd mentioned. with full mounts, that's TOO stiff and we'll feel the vibrations, where as these compensate the stock mounts just enough to get rid of some torque movement while giving minimal vibration to the rest of the car.

this was just an add on to the current topic.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:48 AM

Good, good, good! The end link bushings just mean less money to spend On the FSB, does that mean the 4th and 5th gen are the same? Any progress on this and what exactly looks like it will have to be modified? Peace_

UPDATE:

Old 12-27-2004, 09:41 AM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

any idea what the install time is on the motor mounts? i ordered them last week wed and should have them today if all goes well. just trying to get an idea on time needed to do it.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:01 PM
drag racing is for wussies

take the mounts to a local auto parts store that offers PRESS service. You will need to press these suckers in. Removing the cross member that holds the mounts will take you around 20 min no more. Its even eassier to do with a aftermarket Ypipe on the car. They will probably charge you 20 bux to press these mounts in. Its one of the eassiest mods I done on my car- but I did Place Racing mounts.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:00 PM

thanks...my tech at nissan and i did it this afternoon...i am so happy now! no more trying to shift smooth with a broken mount. i did the shifter bushings too. wow what a difference! those were harder than the MM's. the new mounts just went in by hand. no press was needed for them, but the old ones...those had to be pressed. pretty simple now that i have done it. the right tools makes it easy. thanks again and i will post some pics on my cardomain site soon so you can see the process.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:52 PM
mjg

has anyone posted a write up yet on installing the 6 speed bushings? I recieved those, and have no idea how to install these (nor do i have my car at the momment to even check though : / ) Any input appreciated.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:55 PM

Any common chain auto parts store, like autozone or advance auto, known to have this "press service" at every or most locations?
Old 12-28-2004, 09:42 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Yeah AutoZone should do this service, I know the one by my house- 2 of them, both do it. If they don't try some of the smaller auto parts stores, they might do it. I know I used to send out all the wheel bearings out when doing em at the shop (to a small family owned auto parts store), cause our bearing press just didn't have the right adapters to press out the bearings- cost like 15 bux to do it. This was my old Acura dealer I worked for, the current Acura dealer has all the needed stuff to do my own wheel bearings atleast
Old 01-03-2005, 10:09 AM

ok...two of the bushings go on the cable that controll the front/rear movement of the shifter, the other four go on the base of the whole mechanism where it attaches to the floor. like four little feet. they go under the white plastic assembly of the whole mechanism. that is how it was explained to me by the tech. i had to leave before he got to work on them. the mounts are worth the money! i just got to put 2800 miles on in 5 days! god i love my max again!