5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Flashing SES Info!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 12:28 PM

Flashing SES Info!

I went to the dealer the other day and simply asked one of the tech guys the question,

"why might my SES light be flashing (not solid)?"

To my surprise he told me the car probably just needs simple service like an oil and filter change. I thought this was odd, but now I am curious to know if our cars count the miles between service intervals, or whether they actually monitor the viscosity of our oil. Just thought I'd pass on this information, but I don't know how much truth their is to this statement.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Custom User Title

If your light is flashing that means something is definitely wrong and you need to take it to the dealer. In your case probably another dealer
Old 10-28-2003, 02:44 PM

My dealer told me if SES is Flashing "Do Not Drive Car."

Who to beleive, Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-28-2003, 07:58 PM

Definately Wrong! I know from many reputable resourses that a "Flashing" SES light is nothing of serious concern. One of Canada's #1 Nissan service dealers (not the one that told me about the oil change intervals) told me that one of multiple emissions components sometimes triggers an SES light, but does not mean that the component has failed. People that I know drive their cars happily when the light is "Flashing". There is almost never any noticeable difference in a car's performance when the light is "Flashing". Serious concerns should be considered when the SES light is "Solid". The "Solid" light indicates a repetitve malfunction of a mechanical or electrical component.

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
My dealer told me if SES is Flashing "Do Not Drive Car."

Who to beleive, Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-29-2003, 04:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I say that the dealer that told u flashing isn't bad is full of horse ****. The Canada's #1 Nissan service dealer is correct. Emission can trigger SES light, but that's a solid light. If it's flashing it's bad. From two dealers and from past cars not only nissan vehicles. I recently had a solid light and it was a gas cap. Solid light could be gas cap, O2 sensor, CATs or anything minor as such. Flashing means stop driving around and bring it in. Your assumption about the "solid" light indicates a repetitive malfunction is also horse ****. Unless Canadian cars are bassackward.
You need to stay away from those dealers and take the car to autozone and pull the code yourself. Then take it to them.
Another proof that Nissan service sux ballz.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:58 AM
Got Bent?

Flashing SES = big problem...
Old 10-29-2003, 06:13 AM

Just got off the phone with Poighkeepsie Nissan

Flashing SES=A great distrubance in the Force.

Get your car in fast, like hyperspace fast!!!!!

I don't get it, why conflicting info ??
Old 10-29-2003, 06:16 AM
Got Bent?

why is Nissan service so bad?
Old 10-29-2003, 06:22 AM

Just got off the phone with Poighkeepsie Nissan

Flashing SES=A great distrubance in the Force.

Get your car in fast, like hyperspace fast!!!!!

As an example, I've heard that a flashing SES light could mean there is too much unburned gasoline getting to the catalytic converter, which, over a short period of time could irreversibly damage it - make it swell up and partially or wholly block the exhaust path. That, in turn, would force exhaust gases to seek outlet elsewhere, in particular, make holes in gaskets or vacuum lines.
I had my SES flash at high RPMs several times before I "cracked" my ignition coil problem last month, which made the SES light go away.

Bottom line: SES flashing is indeed a very bad sign.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:15 AM

Regardless, any light is a problem for me, whether big or small. Pull the codes yourself. I bought an EQUUS 3100 scanner, and just recently pulled a code from a "solid" SES light from a blown rear O2 sensor. All's good now, and it didn't involve dealer interaction. The repair cost me $55 Canadian or $40 US. Not bad for somethingthe dealer would have easily charged $150.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The first time my SES light came on I read the owners manual for more information. It said something like a solid light means that you car should be checked out by nissan and a flashing light means that you car needs to be checked out by nissan ASAP. I think it even said something about limiting your speed to < 45 mph when the light is flashing.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ppetruccelli
I went to the dealer the other day and simply asked one of the tech guys the question,

"why might my SES light be flashing (not solid)?"

To my surprise he told me the car probably just needs simple service like an oil and filter change. I thought this was odd, but now I am curious to know if our cars count the miles between service intervals, or whether they actually monitor the viscosity of our oil. Just thought I'd pass on this information, but I don't know how much truth their is to this statement.

How many miles do you have on your max? My light blinked and then stayed on last weekend. I took it ti Autozone and had them pull the codes. Found out that cylnder 5 had a missfire. I changed all of the plugs and checked the coils with a meter. My max seems to be running fine now, and I actually think it feels stronger. After changing the plugs I took it back to Autozone to had them reset the light. My max has 47k on it so I think it was ready for some new plugs. So far so good.

By the way, changing the plugs was easy, I just had to buy the long sparkplug wrench because they are way down in the engine.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:09 PM

What type of malfunctions trigger a flashing SES on a maxima? The only time my light has come on in the last 3 years is from my O2 sensor, which was a solid SES.

Originally Posted by sorcereur
I say that the dealer that told u flashing isn't bad is full of horse ****. The Canada's #1 Nissan service dealer is correct. Emission can trigger SES light, but that's a solid light. If it's flashing it's bad. From two dealers and from past cars not only nissan vehicles. I recently had a solid light and it was a gas cap. Solid light could be gas cap, O2 sensor, CATs or anything minor as such. Flashing means stop driving around and bring it in. Your assumption about the "solid" light indicates a repetitive malfunction is also horse ****. Unless Canadian cars are bassackward.
You need to stay away from those dealers and take the car to autozone and pull the code yourself. Then take it to them.
Another proof that Nissan service sux ballz.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Banned

could low brake fluid (from worn pads) result in a solid ses?
Old 10-29-2003, 12:26 PM

In most other cars, low brake fluid sets off the brake warning light, not the SES. This is the same light that comes on as when you put your parking break on.

Originally Posted by dave
could low brake fluid (from worn pads) result in a solid ses?
Old 10-29-2003, 12:34 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

SES blinking means you best get it to an authorized repair center ASAP...

Don't believe any other explanation...

Look at it this way...police/fire dept/ambulances all have flashing lights. Why, you may ask? Because they are more noticable than solid non blinking lights...
Old 10-29-2003, 12:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Weird, the manual I have through AlldataDIY (seems like a scanned/hypertext version of the Nissan shop manual) mentions nothing of a FLASHING MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light), although it does have a huge wealth of information regarding the specific conditions that cause the MIL to go on or off, and I also found good info on what happens when the ECU goes into "fail-safe mode" for various sensors...